whats the law

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CharlieT

I was playing Devil's Advocate(Google it it will explain what it means).I have been asked by a farmer to get rid of all the deer on his land and not worry whether they are in season or not and i have also been asked to knock over any black and whites i see and so have some of my mates. Perhaps as a farmer yourself you can explain, is this slow or stupid?

Geordie

Of course it's not slow or stupid. Muntjac have no close season and getting rid of the magpies benefits everyone.

Now, before you speak, I'm not slow or stupid either, so think, this is a public forum.

Yes, well said Gordon, perhaps we ought to lobby for a shooting proficiency test like they have in France, it would certainly weed out a fair proportion of the idiots..??

The sport of shooting has enough enemies without promoting even more of 'em on this Forum. :yes:

Cat.

Nearly 25 years ago a group of BASC members who had good reason to know what was what at grass roots level throughout the UK answered a straw poll. The result was a 50/50 split for/against at what you suggest and for the reason that you suggest it. I think it's fair to say that things have deteriorated since then. However, the poll was clear cut with no options other than yes or no. In France,as in many other European countries, this is mandatory by law. I feel an obligatory option by consent would be better.

Just recently a member wisely suggested that the future of our sport would be ensured not by exclusivity, but by popularisation. The situation only becomes a problem when this popularisation consists almost exclusively of uneducated buffoons.

I'm going to say it again...yes a newbie asking questions is fine ONLY why such stoopid ones AFTER he's been granted a licence to have a gun! That's the daft bit! Not fit in my opinion.

And who determines how fit someone is before such licence is granted.

Until such time as there is some form of education and test before a licence is granted, no-one can determine how competent an individual is.

People commenting on fitness to hold a licence when they know there is no standard to achieve are also making stoopid comments.

Until such time as there is some form of education and test before a licence is granted, no-one can determine how competent an individual is.

People commenting on fitness to hold a licence when they know there is no standard to achieve are also making stoopid comments.

Exactly. :good:

Sprackles, hi.

Because you may have a point and because I don't quite understand which type of "fitness" you mean, could you explain? Do you mean mentally/physically characterwise, or fitness in terms of (shooting) education?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Bit surprised the question needed to be asked really.

But just possibly all may not be lost?,Has your permission similar fields further away, and the pigeons are just favouring the Tesco end?

The reason I ask is you could put up a few home made scarecrows, even white plastic bags may do. to keep the pigeons off the Tesco field end, and hope they will decoy onto the other permission fields a sensible distance from the shoppers?

I can remember a similar situation on a really massive field, crow bashing a few years ago. They were favouring the far end of the field, and quite near to a Trading Estate. Well with white bags staked out,and my Landy left in the open down the far end, I enjoyed a reasonable days decoying, furthest away from the Trading Estate some 300 yards away..

But is it worth it springs to mind.

If you are likely to upset Joe Public, and quite likely be talking with some helicopter SWAT chaps?.

Common sense need to be applied me thinks. Best wishes to all.

This is the sort of advice I have come to expect on this forum - good advise not poster bashing

lads im not stupid and im sensible with my gun and i wasnt going to shoot by the car park but what was the law on how near you can shoot,but i could have explained a bit more about this field,the field is massive there are 20 to 40ft high trees which are about 20yrd thick all the way around it with a smaller hedge row in the middle of the field,the car park is at the begining of the field in the corner you cant see anything through the trees as they are so thick in cover,then theres a high fence which this is tescos carpark,as the grounds of tesco are so big theres a huge gap from the fence to the first parked cars,as its the back of the car park its only along the the field for a few feet then the carpark ends and theres nothing else only other fields,i wasnt saying in my first post can i shoot at the car park but what was the law on how close my back could be to a puplic place when firing a shot,

iv been back to the area and flaged the corner,iv also been to the police station near the tescos to see if it will be problem shooting 2 fields away(away from the carpark)incase the noise was to loud,they took my name and said that it was ok

hope this explains what i was asking

Sprackles, hi.

Because you may have a point and because I don't quite understand which type of "fitness" you mean, could you explain? Do you mean mentally/physically characterwise, or fitness in terms of (shooting) education?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Hi mate, by fitness i was referring to general outlook and competence as would possibly be checked in any testing regime.

Since there is no such thing at present, thats why I asked who is qualified to determine such a level of competence as there seem to be plenty who have judged the original poster and hung him out to dry.

The Police should already have determined fitness from a medical standpoint otherwise there would be no certificate granted.

Hi mate, by fitness i was referring to general outlook and competence as would possibly be checked in any testing regime.

Since there is no such thing at present, thats why I asked who is qualified to determine such a level of competence as there seem to be plenty who have judged the original poster and hung him out to dry.

The Police should already have determined fitness from a medical standpoint otherwise there would be no certificate granted.

Thanks, mate.

I can't answer for "general outlook" but think, perhaps, possibly that after ten lecture sessions a reasonable assessment of someone's character could be made.

However, a competence regime does (well did) exist and was deemed by FACE to be comparable with the European requirement level. It was designed to cover shotgun, air rifle and rifle but stalled at the shotgun stage. Now, of course, the stalkers are sorted so that just leaves the air rifle and rifle (vermin) outstanding.

Following the straw poll mentioned in my earlier post, the Chair asked if there were any contingency plans (the 50/50 split in the vote had obviously shaken him) were in force should there be a need. The answer was no. Because they'll be damned if there are and damned if there isn't, it makes sense to keep quiet regarding any possible change to that. However, because in my humble opinion the BASC PAS level was superbly well pitched (FACE) and as I've said before, it is to be hoped that we shooters and BASC do not come to regret it's demise and particularly in the format that was originally forseen.

Cheers

Sound logic and I personally would not be averse to taking such a test.

I am aware though that should testing or proficiency become mandatory then the powers that be could use it to our disadvantage by setting terms and conditions which may put some shooters off. The declaration of convictions on application is one where we all know that the Police will have all knowledge before we put pen to paper and I believe it is there solely to perhaps discourage an applicant.

It's a difficult area but after reading some of these posts perhaps needs addressing sooner rather than later.

Sound logic and I personally would not be averse to taking such a test.

I am aware though that should testing or proficiency become mandatory then the powers that be could use it to our disadvantage by setting terms and conditions which may put some shooters off. The declaration of convictions on application is one where we all know that the Police will have all knowledge before we put pen to paper and I believe it is there solely to perhaps discourage an applicant.

It's a difficult area but after reading some of these posts perhaps needs addressing sooner rather than later.

Well said; particularly your second sentence. A voluntary scheme by consent, correctly pitched and with the option of the more experienced sportsmen/ladies being able to take the practical and theoretical assessments direct would pre-empt any mandatory nausea. At my age, I don't expect any external interference but my certificate remains in the cabinet JIC!

Edited by wymberley

As nobody has actually given a definitive answer to the legal side of this I've cribbed this from another forum.

"Shooting on or near a carriageway

It is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 s 161(2) to light any fire on or over a carriageway, or discharge any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of a highway which is a carriageway, with the consequence that a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered. The section applies to rights of way over which there are vehicular rights, e.g. ways shown on the definitive map as byways open to all traffic, but not to footpaths and bridleways.

Shooting near a footpath or bridleway

Good shooting practice requires that at all times consideration should be given to other users of the countryside. Although it is not a specific offence to shoot across a right of way, it is an offence to disrupt user of that way and cause a nuisance. It is suggested that shooting should halt whilst people use nearby rights of way, and that it is ensured that users have left the area before resuming. This is considered to be a necessary safety precaution and it should avoid causing an excessive noise disturbance."

And this from the Suffolk police website.

"Guns and shooting can cause distress and concern. When this happens it is usually unintentional. The following advice can prevent your shooting activities from being the cause of unnecessary concern to others.

•Let local residents know what you are doing.

•Take a little time to politely explain what you will be doing and why.

•Often, a polite and friendly explanation will lead to understanding rather than complaints.

•Be considerate about noise.

•Be aware of public highways and paths and never inconvenience or place anyone in danger who is using them. Remember it is an offence to have a firearm in a public place without reasonable excuse.

•Do not shoot close to highways where you may cause distress or danger. You can be prosecuted for shooting within 50 feet of the centre of a public highway.

•Never trespass with a firearm of any sort, including air weapons, to do so is a serious criminal offence."

Leaving aside the legal aspects, the way I think about whether somewhere I want to shoot is in a good place is what I'd feel like if I was walking by without knowing someone was shooting and then having them fire and scare the **** out of me. Common sense really :)

Doesn't stop some people shooting in really dense places though, not aimed at anyone here but someone I saw last year, set up right next to a busy road, no more than 10 feet from the edge :no:

thanx all,i know that it was a stupid question,but i thought thats what this forum is for to help people with the problems they have and as the farmer has asked me to shoot here as his rape has been hammered near the tesco car park,i know its not worth the hassle but all i wanted to know what the law was,iam sensible with my gun thats why yesterday i set my hide up 2 fields away under one of many flight line to the tesco field,but the birds were still feeding in the field

Have you considered silent but deadly air power or rimfire, depending on whether you can be seen or not?

Clearly a lot depends on the more precise nature of the field in question.