whats the law

thanx all,i know that it was a stupid question,but i thought thats what this forum is for to help people with the problems they have and as the farmer has asked me to shoot here as his rape has been hammered near the tesco car park,i know its not worth the hassle but all i wanted to know what the law was,iam sensible with my gun thats why yesterday i set my hide up 2 fields away under one of many flight line to the tesco field,but the birds were still feeding in the field

Good oh, mate. Now ask a really sensible question and ask Webber what he means by "bagging off".

Cheers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the past iv used bamboo poles with red and white tape cut about 4ft long it blows nicely in the wind until they tangle around the poles but i have thought of using ballons or carrier bags but havnt tried them yet,does anyone else use ballons or carrier bags??

thanx all,i know that it was a stupid question,but i thought thats what this forum is for to help people with the problems they have and as the farmer has asked me to shoot here as his rape has been hammered near the tesco car park,i know its not worth the hassle but all i wanted to know what the law was,iam sensible with my gun thats why yesterday i set my hide up 2 fields away under one of many flight line to the tesco field,but the birds were still feeding in the field

How big is this field? Can't you buy a hushpower and sit at the other end of the field?

How big is this field? Can't you buy a hushpower and sit at the other end of the field?

it a massive field trees all the way around it,theres nothing on the 3 other sides but that car park on the other side,il stick to flaging the car park side and shoot under one of the flight lines 2 fields away as i did yesterday this should make a dent in the number of birds hitting the rape

Hi All

OK just supposing this was the only permission you had and it was part of a 2500 acre estate and the farmer said you either shoot the pigeons or b*gger off and i will get someone else who will shoot them. By the way the farmer also lets you shoot fallow roe and muntjac, you also have fox control and game and wildfowl on the land

Geordie

we supposedly encourage people to ask questions no matter how daft they may seem and when someone does, they get lambasted and ridiculed. a great encouraging response for any newcomers.

I think this forum is great but there are some self righteous holier than thou types who perhaps might benefit from engaging brain before opening gob and I'm not referring to the original poster.

Couldn't agree more :yes:

There's no way I'd shoot that ground with a standard shotgun. Even a Hushpower would be really pushing it because they're not quiet enough. Personally if I really had to shoot it I'd try to pick somewhere that was out of sight of people in the car park, get well hidden and smack them with either a .22lr or an air rifle once they land. Obviously you'd have to shoot away from the car park, and also make sure that you were at least 50 feet away so if you did get spotted and reported you're not breaking any laws.

Helping newbies is one thing - answering questions a child could answer is another. Take a step back - if Antis were reading this, they would be laughing.

Men with guns think it is acceptable to shoot next to a supermarket car park potentially full of women and children - get real.

Yes, well said Gordon, perhaps we ought to lobby for a shooting proficiency test like they have in France, it would certainly weed out a fair proportion of the idiots..??

The sport of shooting has enough enemies without promoting even more of 'em on this Forum. :yes:

Cat.

Hi All

OK just supposing this was the only permission you had and it was part of a 2500 acre estate and the farmer said you either shoot the pigeons or b*gger off and i will get someone else who will shoot them. By the way the farmer also lets you shoot fallow roe and muntjac, you also have fox control and game and wildfowl on the land

Geordie

Do you honestly believe that anyone farming 2500 acres is daft enough to expect someone to shoot in such a situation. We farmers may be a little slow but were not stupid.

Do you honestly believe that anyone farming 2500 acres is daft enough to expect someone to shoot in such a situation. We farmers may be a little slow but were not stupid.

Hi CharlieT

I was playing Devil's Advocate(Google it it will explain what it means).I have been asked by a farmer to get rid of all the deer on his land and not worry whether they are in season or not and i have also been asked to knock over any black and whites i see and so have some of my mates. Perhaps as a farmer yourself you can explain, is this slow or stupid?

Geordie

Whilst its an awkward location I don't see any need to flame the bloke for asking an opinion, though he could have supplied more information. I thought it was a fair question by way of seeing if his feelings were mirrored by others, and it brought forth the potentially usefull idea to consider using a hush power.

We weren't told how visible the field is, only that it was 20 yards from a Tesco car park. Thats possibly only the boundary of it and many supermarket car parks are massive with huge rarely used areas. Whilst many supermarkets have open fences and clear vision into neighbouring properties there are also many long established farms that could well have 60 feet of grassed margins, bramble hedges and large mature tree boundaries that would perhaps make the hushpower suggestion quite do-able.

EDIT: Regarding the question in the title "Whats the law?"

It's private property and nothing to do with Joe public even if they cannot fathom vermin control. The farmer has every right to protect his crops in that area with whatever means he sees fit and the police should endorse his right to do it - however reluctantly they, Tesco or Mrs Oh-my-gosh feel about it. The hushpower would take a noise issue out of the equation.

Edited by Dave-G

Hi CharlieT

I was playing Devil's Advocate(Google it it will explain what it means).I have been asked by a farmer to get rid of all the deer on his land and not worry whether they are in season or not and i have also been asked to knock over any black and whites i see and so have some of my mates. Perhaps as a farmer yourself you can explain, is this slow or stupid?

Geordie

Neither, just pure economic sense. Farmers shooting marauding deer out of season is not illegal and as for pigs, well we all know how protected those vermin are.

Without knowing the ground no one can say for definite they couldn't find a way of shooting it. For Instance a bale hide out in the field shooting away from the store could be an option, if the farmer wanted it done and you rang it in there is sweet FA Tescos could do about it. Or indeed placing the hide well away from that side of the field and bagging it off may let you shoot the field. If you remember that the rape that is growing is plenty high enough to actually sit in and be hidden there are lots of options out there. Sitting in the hedge back to the car park isn't one though, the other thing is if its that short he won't be getting a crop off that bit anyway now so its fairly pointless moving them off it