Change in NI firearms law?

The Northern Ireland Firearms Controls Liaison Committee has met with the Justice Minister to discuss a change in legislation which would allow young people to use airguns and shotguns under supervision and allow firearms dealers to do one-off-one-on transactions for airguns, rifles and handguns already held on a firearms certificate.

Use the BASC Have Your Say webpage to comment on this topic if you are a member

David

you reckon Highlander everything on a FAC and about 6 times the waiting time to get anything added to them.

This is the one change it would be nice to see over here as its sensible

Great news hopefully, but i cant this become fact for at least a year or 2.

Edited by mayfly36

I always thought NI was part of the UK but they seem to have much more relaxed gun laws than we do. Why? or is it for homeland security! :o :lol:

Are you having a laugh about everything being more relaxed. Before they started speeding up the process (last few months or so) it would take you anything from 6-12 months for a variation. Just ask Monkeyboots how he is getting on with his variation :lol:

Are you having a laugh about everything being more relaxed. Before they started speeding up the process (last few months or so) it would take you anything from 6-12 months for a variation. Just ask Monkeyboots how he is getting on with his variation :lol:

your rite ollie im still waiting almost coming up to 3 and a half mths for my variation and still no word and theve had my FAC snice last august :blink: :angry:

Maybe i'm wrong, but I was under the impression that these changes had already been voted on, and approved by, the assembly as part of the changes in the Justice and Security act and are currently waiting Royal Ascent before they can become law.

Or are these meetings to pre-empt this and to discuss the future application of the changes and i've missed the point?

I always thought NI was part of the UK but they seem to have much more relaxed gun laws than we do. Why? or is it for homeland security! :o :lol:

So Highlander. You've decided that you've had a good year and want to treat yourself to a new shotgun. You go to the shop, and granted your cabinet has space, walk out with a new gun and a big smile on your face. What we have to do is buy the gun, walk out with an empty wallet and a grudge, fill in a 4 page form, write a cheque for 26 quid and wait perhaps 2 months or more.

So, you think our laws are "relaxed" :blink:

And about handguns, for the most part, we do it the sensible way, you have to be a club member to get one. The pistol ban in britain was a complete farce lets face it.

edit* Forgot to say, I welcome a change in the laws allowing young people to participate in shooting, I was one of many who had to wait till the age of 18 to start. I can't see there being much resistance to the bill being passed

Edited by shot shot

Apparently post january things have sped up.

I sent my FAC in for a few pistols in october and just got it back last week.

Sent it away two days later for addidtion of a deer rifle and another range rifle and just got my letter to say that they have recieved my application so it will be interesting to see if they are any speedier this time around.

A friend of mine had a call from our local FAO 4 years ago to say that he was coming out to lift his shotgun and certificate without giving him a reason.

After many phone calls, visits to local MP's and various solicitors letters he still has had no response from them and they still wont give him a reason as to why it was lifted.

Apparently post january things have sped up.

I sent my FAC in for a few pistols in october and just got it back last week.

Sent it away two days later for addidtion of a deer rifle and another range rifle and just got my letter to say that they have recieved my application so it will be interesting to see if they are any speedier this time around.

A friend of mine had a call from our local FAO 4 years ago to say that he was coming out to lift his shotgun and certificate without giving him a reason.

After many phone calls, visits to local MP's and various solicitors letters he still has had no response from them and they still wont give him a reason as to why it was lifted.

So the police came and lifted his guns four years ago and he still doesn't know why? Rubbish.

What we have to do is buy the gun, walk out with an empty wallet and a grudge, fill in a 4 page form, write a cheque for 26 quid and wait perhaps 2 months or more.

Splitting hairs maybe, but you can buy a gun BEFORE you get the certificate! :o now that is relaxed! :D

I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was that it seems to me that some of our NI friends can get a whole lot more on their tickets than we can here, i.e. pistols. Obviously we all have different experiences of how long such things take to get.

thats what i thought dazza sure are they not meant 2 say why you a refused/revoked so as you can appeal it :hmm: i know of 2 people refused/revoked and they where told why

They give you a letter and a time limit to appeal.

Splitting hairs maybe, but you can buy a gun BEFORE you get the certificate! :o now that is relaxed! :D

I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was that it seems to me that some of our NI friends can get a whole lot more on their tickets than we can here, i.e. pistols. Obviously we all have different experiences of how long such things take to get.

Highlander some of our NI friends have a lot of imaginary guns on their imaginary certificates :rolleyes:

We think that may have been the case as he worked as a doorman in a nightclub and was under threat by IRA and the police were notified of this but never told him any reasoning when they lifted his weapons.

So you think they took his guns because he was under threat from the Provos? What age are you?

The law on pistols is different for here.

I am in 2 pistol orientated clubs and a rifle club.

With the proper reasoning you can buy any gun you want under MOD range energy limits.

The law on pistols is different for here.

I am in 2 pistol orientated clubs and a rifle club.

With the proper reasoning you can buy any gun you want under MOD range energy limits.

And as many as you want providing you can justify each one.