Hand Op next week out of action for a while :(

clubb699

Hi all,

The time is coming on thursday iam of for my first ever op guuuuuuuulp for the last 6 years ive had my little finger curling up and unable to bend it straight, its called a Dupuytren's contracture and its time it was striaghtend.

Ive managed to do my bit and have nailed alot of pigeons 11 and 2 maggies over the last week ive been trying to get in has much shooting time as possible to feed the addiction :lol: .

The surgeon has said its going to be at least 4 to 6 weeks off work so no shooting for me for a while im not one for having time of so this is a first :no: looks like i will be forums reading alot over the next weeks :good:

Thought i would share my crazy finger :lol:

Picture0004.jpg

Please while im out of action go and get the damn pests for me lads

Clubb699

Good luck with the op buddy :good: My ####### finger or middle finger is just about as bad :oops: Was scheduled to see rumatologist on 16th but had to re book for 23rd :oops:

It does seem theres alot more people with this disease than you think, my grandad had it in his middle finger aswell but on both hands they got his striaght, and it was 20 odd years ago so you should be fine good luck to you and i will update if all goes well next week :good:

Thanks

clubb699

Edited by clubb699

If the cortizone injections (what im expecting) don't work I will place on an anvil & give it a clout with a 2 1/2 lb hammer :yes: :yes:

Yeah i few of lads at work have offered to do the hammer trick :lol: good luck with the jabs then if thats what there going to do :good:

All the best fella,I had a major op on my right hand in March,was in hospital for a week,in plaster then splint sinse then.I couldn't even touch it for the first two weeks and still going for physio.I was just getting over this and had to go back in and have an op on my left hand,not as big as the first but not yet happy with the results of both.The physio is the hard bit,do the exercises they give you,it does help,and massage hand cream into the scar,that helps a lot.I had my first shoot this week sinse having the left one done,shot 100 DTL and managed to hit 87 but tired at the end .

hope it goes well

john

All the best fella,I had a major op on my right hand in March,was in hospital for a week,in plaster then splint sinse then.I couldn't even touch it for the first two weeks and still going for physio.I was just getting over this and had to go back in and have an op on my left hand,not as big as the first but not yet happy with the results of both.The physio is the hard bit,do the exercises they give you,it does help,and massage hand cream into the scar,that helps a lot.I had my first shoot this week sinse having the left one done,shot 100 DTL and managed to hit 87 but tired at the end .

hope it goes well

john

Ouch sounds like you had a tough time John thanks for the info i will do what they say, one thing they said it needs to be splinted on the night for 6 months else its 50-50 for it coming back if this is not followed.

Yeah i did here the physio can be the bad part, ive one joint that has arthritis setting in that as not been moving for so long so im expecting some problems there.

Edited by clubb699

Hi all,

Well im back home after having the OP i cant thank the nurses docs and surgeons anought there truley amazing people i cant believe i actualy felt relaxed all day :)

Its going to be a long recovery i think it currently feels like i slept on it for 2 days

:lol:

Ps while waiting for the op looking into the grounds of the hospital there was a cheeky fox have 5mins rest and 30 meters from him so many damn pigeons sitting on the grass :rolleyes:

100_1898.jpg

Hold hard,As I have a problem with my left hand which has turned out to be a mini stroke my wife was looking through her"Womans Weekly"and came across this article, Quote, "A new injection,XIAPEX,could avoid the need for surgery in Dupuytrens contracture. This condition-more common in people with diabetes or with affected relatives-causes painful thickening in the palm of the hand,pulling on tendons,so that the fingers become permanently curled over.XIAPEC breaks down the fibrous thickening and releases the tendons,allowing fingers to straighten.However ,some primary care trusts currently fund surgery only for severe cases,and its not yet clear whether XIAPEC will become widely available". end of Quote.

I hope this will be of some help to those who would like to avoid surgery. S.B. :)

Hold hard,As I have a problem with my left hand which has turned out to be a mini stroke my wife was looking through her"Womans Weekly"and came across this article, Quote, "A new injection,XIAPEX,could avoid the need for surgery in Dupuytrens contracture. This condition-more common in people with diabetes or with affected relatives-causes painful thickening in the palm of the hand,pulling on tendons,so that the fingers become permanently curled over.XIAPEC breaks down the fibrous thickening and releases the tendons,allowing fingers to straighten.However ,some primary care trusts currently fund surgery only for severe cases,and its not yet clear whether XIAPEC will become widely available". end of Quote.

I hope this will be of some help to those who would like to avoid surgery. S.B. :)

Just to let you know this treatment is still in the trial stage in the UK, we are part of the trial in Southampton, Looks like it will be very successful but cost implications are a problem,I think at the moment its retailing at £900 for a single vial for injection. Treatment is an injection with an enzyme that breaks the abnormal collagen, the chord is then manually snapped 24 hours after injection. doubt wether it will be available on the NHS for some time yet

Hi Stour-boy,

Sod avoiding the surgery the anesthetics awsome i woke up drunk in a nice way, i was saying you lot are awsome you deserve double the wages love you all to bits they were laughing at me :lol: :lol: but yeah did read about that needle a while ago :good: but saying that its starting to throb a bit now and have felt groggy today :look:

And docholiday yeah the surgeon mentioned that too ooouch :lol:

clubb699

Edited by clubb699

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Had some great commentsof here so thought i would share the news that the op was succesfull had the stitches removed and things are going in the right direction.

Cant fault the NHS absolutly amazing care after what ive heard over the years

Before

Photo-0143.jpg

After

001.jpg

The happy chap

:D

That's looking a lot better now Chubb699! It could even be used as a bit of a chat up line - Tell the lass that you have had another "digit" straightened at the same time and the doctor told you that a good massaging at least 3 times a day with soft gentle feminin hands will help the healing process! :rolleyes::blush::rolleyes::blush::rolleyes:

Who knows, it might work, certainly worth a try! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hope you're back in action soon mate!

That's looking a lot better now Chubb699! It could even be used as a bit of a chat up line - Tell the lass that you have had another "digit" straightened at the same time and the doctor told you that a good massaging at least 3 times a day with soft gentle feminin hands will help the healing process! :rolleyes::blush::rolleyes::blush::rolleyes:

Who knows, it might work, certainly worth a try! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hope you're back in action soon mate!

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: thanks alot :good:

And thanks Bulletboy :good: