Cubs on one of my permissions!

I was speaking to one of the farmers whose land I shoot on and he mentioned that he had spotted an earth that I wasn't aware of. He told me that he had seen a cub several times and that it looked very well developed. As he has lost quite a few chickens and a few ducks and a goose recently he wanted me to deal with the entire family whenever I thought it right to do so. I decided to take a walk this evening with the .243 and the camcorder to see what the situation was. What I found was that there was one young cub showing regularly but it was not as well developed as I had been led to believe. What I think the farmer saw was one of the parents. Anyway, I settled down with some good cover and this is what I saw!

I had the chance of a very easy head shot on one of the cubs but it would have been a mistake to take it as all the vixen would have done was moved the rest of the family to another earth. I will be watching this earth very carefully and wait till I can see all of the cubs coming out to play. Then I will take the vixen first and lay her out so the cubs come out to her.

I have to admit that at one time my trigger finger was getting a little itchy, but I managed to restrain myself!

Edited by Frenchieboy

I was speaking to one of the farmers whose land I shoot on and he mentioned that he had spotted an earth that I wasn't aware of. He told me that he had seen a cub several times and that it looked very well developed. As he has lost quite a few chickens and a few ducks and a goose recently he wanted me to deal with the entire family whenever I thought it right to do so. I decided to take a walk this evening with the .243 and the camcorder to see what the situation was. What I found was that there was one young cub showing regularly but it was not as well developed as I had been led to believe. What I think the farmer saw was one of the parents. Anyway, I settled down with some good cover and this is what I saw!

I had the chance of a very easy head shot on one of the cubs but it would have been a mistake to take it as all the vixen would have done was moved the rest of the family to another earth. I will be watching this earth very carefully and wait till I can see all of the cubs coming out to play. Then I will take the vixen first and lay her out so the cubs come out to her.

I have to admit that at one time my trigger finger was getting a little itchy, but I managed to restrain myself!

some 17 fodder their eh! the right thing to do is wait for the vixen

nice video m8,the mines look like something out of blake's 7 lol

i bet you was iching m8, but i reckon you are doing the best thing......or you could get a few guns up there and take the lot out in 1 hit :)

how you doing by the way sorry i havnt been in touch work has been hectic

atb mark

Brave man to put that on tinternet , every local guy will no where they are now and i will be surprised if they stay untouched :oops:

Maybe im paranoid but only take pic's of the ground as i now if i seen a pic of land within a 20 mile radius i would no it :yes:

nice video m8,the mines look like something out of blake's 7 lol

i bet you was iching m8, but i reckon you are doing the best thing......or you could get a few guns up there and take the lot out in 1 hit :)

how you doing by the way sorry i havnt been in touch work has been hectic

atb mark

Hey Mark, it's good to hear from you again! How's things going mate? You know that the offer to come out with me again still applies, you only have to say the word!

p.s. Marlene sends her regards mate!

hi pete,say hello to marlene for me m8

thanks for the offer i will take you up on it m8,(i enjoyed the last outing) when i get a day off or sick day:)it wont be too far off anyways:)

hows the mine fox's problem ???all sorted ???

atb mark

I think it might be sorted! :rolleyes:

I have been out this afternoon for half an hour with the shotgun and fired 5 shots for 4 rabbits. A couple of them have been cut open and left about 10 yards from the earth. I will be up there at first light tomorrow to see if they have been taken. If they have I will be using another one with the alarm clock so I can finish the job off!

• 1 month later...