little issue with me new silver pigeon

Mr mac

hi, today on firing bottom barrel first with 30g clear pigeon cartridges the auto selector was not changing for the next shot.... had 50 cartridges through the gun last week and was fine, thats all its ever had as its new.... any ideas?

thanks ian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like your inertia switch is faulty.

Worth checking yourself:

Check check and triple check the gun is empty. (Please don't use snap caps)

Close the gun, point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

You'll not be able to get the second barrel to fire, as it's waiting on the inertia switch to switch the barrels.

Knock the butt on the ground, by dropping it from about 4" off the ground. This will replicate the recoil.

If the second barrel doesn't fire, it's the inertia switch. However, you might want to drop it a bit harder, to see if it's stuck. A little extra force may knock it into operation.

:good:

Edited by Billy.

Yep not much else to say could be a number of things, but on a new gun shouldn't happen and trying to fix yourself could cause more issues! Did you manual swap to second barrel? Or fire top first? Does it swap over if you fire top first?

Poor gun mount can cause the issue you describe, as can not fully releasing the trigger after the first shot. It could be lack of familiarity with the new gun? Otherwise it could be an issue with the gun - maybe a sticky autoselector due to a small particle of debris during manufacture.

These guns are selling in huge numbers (they were on back order everywhere a month back!) and reported issues to date have been very, very low. Obviously for those that have an issue it is an incredibly frustrating one - but don't go worrying that you've bought a somehow inferior quality Beretta - you haven't.

If you are satisifed that it definitely not gun mount or trigger release that is the source of the problem then it's worth returning to your RFD for investigation.

Steve

please dont drop your gun on the floor to check the inertia block works or you could crack the stock, just hit the but with the palm of your hand firmly. :good:

News to me :rolleyes: Three Silver Pigeons have survived my floor bashing and not cracked the stock.

However, if a palm will do it, OP, go with that ;)

Edited by Billy.

As I'm sure you know. I have the SP1 Game and it's never let me down (touch wood!)

This is true and maybe I am being quick off the mark in slighting all Silver Pig 1's. But, I also have a Hatsan which has been far more reliable and has had best part of a thousand carts through it without a jam or problem of any sort.

So I understand there are good and bad out there. Personally, I won't be keeping the Silver Pig 1, it will be sold as soon as it's back from GMK.

You never know spider dude, It may not even be a problem. A lot of people on here say they get a tiny bit of brown oil coming out. I'm sure if you don't oil as much this will stop. I understand though, that when you get a new gun you want to over protect it - I know I do... It's a good thing though in a way!

You never know spider dude, It may not even be a problem. A lot of people on here say they get a tiny bit of brown oil coming out. I'm sure if you don't oil as much this will stop. I understand though, that when you get a new gun you want to over protect it - I know I do... It's a good thing though in a way!

It's not the brown oil that was the main concern it was the hole in the join between monoblock and barrel!

This is true and maybe I am being quick off the mark in slighting all Silver Pig 1's. But, I also have a Hatsan which has been far more reliable and has had best part of a thousand carts through it without a jam or problem of any sort.

So I understand there are good and bad out there. Personally, I won't be keeping the Silver Pig 1, it will be sold as soon as it's back from GMK.

Why won't you be keeping the Silver Pig when it's fixed?

Sounds like your inertia switch is faulty.

Worth checking yourself:

Check check and triple check the gun is empty. (Please don't use snap caps)

Close the gun, point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

You'll not be able to get the second barrel to fire, as it's waiting on the inertia switch to switch the barrels.

Knock the butt on the ground, by dropping it from about 4" off the ground. This will replicate the recoil.

If the second barrel doesn't fire, it's the inertia switch. However, you might want to drop it a bit harder, to see if it's stuck. A little extra force may knock it into operation.

:good:

why not use snap caps?

thanks ian

PANIC OVER!

GUESS WHOS THE MUPPET???

Right.... i thought the selector switch moved over!!!!.... guess wot, i was wrong!

so all along it was fine....

i hit and hit it on the floor and palm but could not get it to move then when i pulled the trigger i realised!!

i fired it 5 or six times with empty barrels is this ok?

thanks ian

i fired it 5 or six times with empty barrels is this ok?

Oh dear. You should never do that. You'll soon know when you try it with live cartridges - but you may have damaged the firing pins. Not a big problem to fix - but you should never dry fire without snap caps.

Did you get a manual with your gun? You really should read that and familiarise yourself with the basics like this.

I hope that all is OK and that you've got away with it.

Steve

Oh dear. You should never do that. You'll soon know when you try it with live cartridges - but you may have damaged the firing pins. Not a big problem to fix - but you should never dry fire without snap caps.

Did you get a manual with your gun? You really should read that and familiarise yourself with the basics like this.

I hope that all is OK and that you've got away with it.

Steve

I followed billy's advice above not to use them????

And i hit the side of the stock with the palm of my hand a few times hard to set off the switch.

Ian

I followed billy's advice above not to use them????

And i hit the side of the stock with the palm of my hand a few times hard to set off the switch.

Ian

It's the but you need to hit to simulate the recoil not the side

Nearly always worth trying a few shots with switch in different positions before sending back and some people have been known to not fully remove finger after first shot and therefore gun will not fire second

Good luck

Wouldn't worry at all about dry firing the gun. There was a discussion on this before. I often use them but have fired without too.. If they where so important Beretta would have given you a pair free with the gun, they wouldn't give you a 10 year warranty if they weren’t sure it would be problem free. If you kept sending them back because of firing pins going they would be sure to chuck in a couple snap caps… I just use them because I have them...