Rabbits

Hi guys just gained some new permission and ive never seen so many warrens. Ive had lots of people say they have a rabbit problem, usually this means they have seen a rabbit or 2 :lol: but there has got to be hundreds here. Ive been picking them off with the rimfire but not really touching the numbers. Lots of the warrens are in the middle of the fields with no brambles or snags, however i no longer have a ferret. My friend who has a hawk his bird is in malt so thats also out of the question so my question is how would you tackle this as the land owner wants the numbers down?

put more time in my mate had thousands we ferreted 4 days on trot with 10 people 5 guns about 15 ferrets no nets shot 300 + in 4 days

not really sport but thats wat farmmer wanted

A few guns at it sounds your best solution in the circumstances, can you get numbers on the ground?

Ferreting this time of year :blink:

some times you gotta :yes:

i got asked to help blitz a grouse moor of rabbits by inverness and i have never seen so many they had a old guy working rabbit drop boxes all day evevery day he had 300 drop boxes to look at every day :blink: and their was still thousands of them. we 3 teams of 4 lamping from pickups with 8 shot sgotguns for a few nights me setting snares and shooting with the 17hmr and 4 others with rimfires shooting over diffrent beats dureing the day whilst 3 other lads bolted them to shotguns

we killed a couple of thousand in a weekend and that hardley dented them :blink: :blink:

so if you want to realy do some damage i would

take a weekend of work

snare all the fences you can

ferret all the easey burries with shotguns

think about longnetting

and sell the haul to cover the wage you lost

and the farmer will love you for puting so much effort in for him :good:

one farmer i know has a verminator fills warrens with propane and boom its remote control aswell had big clod of earth landing on his jeep roof 50 yards away :lol: or get hmr and sit up on high ground

My understanding was that use of Verminator was illegal if there was a chance that the burrows were occupied!

It can only be used to collapse empty burrows.

Great fun though.....

Oh boy, what I would give for an opportunity like this, especially at this time of the year! My wife would not thank me for it but I would be out with a moderated rimfire early every morning, every evening and lamping them late at night taking as many with head shots as possible. Game dealers (Well around my way) will pay £1.00 a piece for head shot rabbits gutted but still in the fur so you would easily make enough money to compensate for the lack of sleep and the ammunition and travelling expences incurred!

Otherwise it would be down to a long net round the open burrows after dark, which could still be combined with lamping them with a moderated rimfire.

I personally would not want to use ferrets at this time of the year because of the high risk of lots of lay ups involving a hell of a lot of digging in possibly rock hard ground - Unless of course you are a keep fit freek!

Got a permission that had rabbits in plauge proportions, still produces good bags after 3 years of constant shooting by 3 guns. When I first started on there the owner & another bloke were driving round shooting loads & leaving them there were that many, I walked round with 410 hushpower & rimfire depending on weather taking the big ones getting bags of 30 plus. It did'nt take them long to get used to vehicles & even a shot from a moderated 22 would send them all undergound. This is my 4th year on there now the other 2 have stopped going & the rabbits are still on vallium :lol: , I now go once a week from March to October usually early evening till dusk, my bags this year have varied from 9 lowest to 27 highest never short of dog meat, had a decent evening this week picked 16, put a pic on sporting pictures. The owner knows that they will never be completley wiped out due to the terrain (dread that happening) & is happy theres no serious damage to the silage. Between me the Buzzards & the annual bout of mixie which has just arrived they are under control :hmm: or just not showing while I've gone home

what id do is just lamp them non stop then when they get used to the lamp go early morning and get laid up at a different warren each morning and try and clear as many at each one as you can take no prisoners thow big ones small ones they all count. and then after that when the season moves on a little bolt and shoot them you can have a very good and fast paced day with 4 or 5 ferrets working a big bank of holes or as someone else said ferrets are only a fiver so go buy 5 and if one doesnt come out not to worry im sure it will do ok moving from burrow to burrow helping you out whilst your gone. thats what id do i think lamping them is the best option and shooting early mornings what with it getting light very early at the moment. the numbers will soon dwindle down i had some permission once that there was maybe a couple of hundred rabbits on all of his land so not so many as the land was quite big. i lamped it every night for about a month and walked it early morning, then when harvest came i drove the fields n shot the hell out of it. now i go for a walk there and there is maybe 5 or 6 i see compared to seing like 50 or 60 on a night. farmers happy but im not ive got nothing to shoot lool,.

Tried lamping it last night as so many of you have suggested i got 47 in about 4 hrs very happy should of had more but only my shooting to blame for that. Spoke to my local zoo and there happy to take them off me at £1.50 each not even gutted they just want them frozen within 12 hrs of shooting, There not even bothered about head shots as long as theres an exit hole there happy. :rolleyes: Going to go again next week as busy all this week. Theres a few hundred quid running around the field :lol: .

Wish i had a 4x4 though its so hilly :lol:

Thanks again guys :good: