left eye dominance.

air gunner

I only shoot air rifles, I have very poor vision in my right eye, and I'm right handed. When i started shooting at 14 years old, I wouldn't wear my glasses as kids then took the wee so much! So I just shot lefty, and have done so ever since. Now, at 48 years old, my eyes are much more equal and I wear my specs, so am trying to shoot right handed...its hard :blink:

I've practiced many hours and can now shoot right handed, very handy when sat in the jeep!

I would suggest trying left handed, it just takes practice :good:

a few others have said the same thing, but I thought I was left eye dominant and squinted the left until I took lessons (with the same coach each time which is important i think), I was actually looking at the gun and not the target. I was muddling along before but now I am getting much more respectable (although I am not really a natural hence I continue to have lessons)

Good luck

Went through this dilema also,no idea I had a problem till a guy thought it strange I hit all crossers from one direction but not the other,I have central vision, so stuck on some surgical tape on my glasses,perfect. Now when I close my right eye with them on my left eye does not see any rib or barrels, this then allows peripheral vision and my right eye has dominance. Oh I now use frosted sellotape placed on the inside as its makes rain or smears easier to wipe clean.

chiefy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lads, im left eye dominant and shoot from my right shoulder. I normally close my left eye but find it annoying screwing my face up to wink, whats a good way to overcome this and be able to keep both eyes open? i mainly shoot pigeons so would also like my peripheral vision available along with less hassle closing eyes for the snap shooting involved. Will a easy hit type bead overcome the problem? all ideas would be much appreciated.

The Easy Hit bead in my opinion is only a training aid at best. It is a length of fibre optic which just sticks on the end of your barrel and on top of the rib with a magnet or glue etc. I fail to see how it can work in actual practice as you should not be looking at the bead whilst actually shooting. Off eye dominance is a difficult thing to correct and I know cos I suffer from it periodically. You should be able to tell if your left eye is pulling you off target without one, just by practice mounting at home. Waste of money but hey go for it if you want one - you can always put it on Ebay when you have finished with it. Best to try to start your gun mount with both eyes open and as you start to squash your cheek down and lock on then close your eye and bang. Good luck! :good: