I think I got it :)

Davy Holt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you know this then?

Can you get pigeon on a ticket for CF rifle? Could have vermin but then Woodies aren't technically vermin.. could get by on the 'any other lawful quarry' thing I suppose!

Oh give over guys.... this is a blatant example of killing for fun! Falls into the same catagory as the vid posted last year of someone blowing rabbits up with a 22-250, although that could POSSIBLY be justified if it was an extermination excercise...

Nice to see the crop you were protecting is now safe from the ravages of the feeding hordes of woodie.... what is it again... rape, corn, pea...... no... it's grass! :rolleyes:

Hiya,

Ok just to clarify :) according to my firearms dept I have Roe and any other legal quarry below that level for the triple (checked this with them a while back):)

And as for the backstop the shot was taken from an elevated position, so there was a big lump of Scotland acting as a backstop :)

Oh give over guys.... this is a blatant example of killing for fun! Falls into the same catagory as the vid posted last year of someone blowing rabbits up with a 22-250, although that could POSSIBLY be justified if it was an extermination excercise...

Nice to see the crop you were protecting is now safe from the ravages of the feeding hordes of woodie.... what is it again... rape, corn, pea...... no... it's grass! :rolleyes:

not quite but it's one less that is eating the meal that's out for the cows :)

Hiya,

Ok just to clarify :) according to my firearms dept I have Roe and any other legal quarry below that level for the triple (checked this with them a while back):)

And as for the backstop the shot was taken from an elevated position, so there was a big lump of Scotland acting as a backstop :)

Why would you need to check it with them ??? doe it say "deer and any other lawful (or legal) quarry?"

So, we (possibly) have the condition and backstop boxed off.... now, what about the crop you were protecting?

Edited by Vipa

No different from shooting one in the garden with an air gun.

Do you not shoot woodys flighting, roosting or on stubble's then :hmm:

Also, could you see from the picture what was in the crop? bet it wasn't grass :no:

No different from shooting one in the garden with an air gun.

Do you not shoot woodys flighting, roosting or on stubble's then :hmm:

Also, could you see from the picture what was in the crop? bet it wasn't grass :no:

well.... I think you will find someone was prosecuted last year for shooting a woodie in his back garden, that is a BIG no no! And anyway, why would you want to, it's not damaging your 'crops' or being hazardous to health.... no more than any other bird in your back garden is!

The 'crop' the remains are nicely spread out over looks suspiciously like meadow grass to me :hmm:

There is always some thread or other on here that bangs on about things giving the wrong impression of our sport or giving it a bad image... they nearly always revolve around what people wear or how much wood (or not) a persons gun has on it!!! If you want a prime example of the kind of thing that paints a VERY poor picture of our passtime..... you can't get much better than things like this!

Roosting and decoying over stubble's is not technically crop protection then. Prevention of crop damage is the reason we can shoot them.

As we all know they WILL end up on a field eating crops :yes:

As for the airgun in the garden incident. The shooter didn't know the rules of the general licence and said some thing stupid like ''I wanted to eat it'' or ''oh, I thought we were aloud to shoot them'', in which case he has just admitted to not shooting a quarry species under the terms of the general licence.

However, if he had said the bird was eating is vegetable patch, the scare crow and CDs on string had no affect in deterring the pigeon, he would have walked :good:

Edit to add;

People posting bags of 100+ woodys, would also give a bad image to anyone who doest understand pigeon shooting.

Edited by chrispti

Roosting and decoying over stubble's is not technically crop protection then. Prevention of crop damage is the reason we can shoot them.

As we all know they WILL end up on a field eating crops :yes:

As for the airgun in the garden incident. The shooter didn't know the rules of the general licence and said some thing stupid like ''I wanted to eat it'' or ''oh, I thought we were aloud to shoot them'', in which case he has just admitted to not shooting a quarry species under the terms of the general licence.

However, if he had said the bird was eating is vegetable patch, the scare crow and CDs on string had no affect in deterring the pigeon, he would have walked :good:

Sorry mate... 'quarry species' a woodie aint! You cannot shoot pigeons without first showing that you have tried all other methods of getting rid of them. Shooting over crops we have a defense.... it is up to the farmer to prove he has done this, we are just another tool, albeit the last resort. In your own garden..... well... again... destroying crops ??? causing a hazard to public health or livestock ??? DO NOT shoot pigeons in your garden, if caught you WILL be prosecuted and WILL lose!

You can defend this however you like mate but a single splattered woodie shot with a CF rifle over a field of meadow grass is NOT legitimate crop protection, it is blatant killing for pleasure and is wholly wrong... just as shooting a wood pigeon in your back garden would be. No court in the country would see it any other way!

Sorry mate... 'quarry species' a woodie aint! You cannot shoot pigeons without first showing that you have tried all other methods of getting rid of them. Shooting over crops we have a defense.... it is up to the farmer to prove he has done this, we are just another tool, albeit the last resort. In your own garden..... well... again... destroying crops ??? causing a hazard to public health or livestock ??? DO NOT shoot pigeons in your garden, if caught you WILL be prosecuted and WILL lose!

You can defend this however you like mate but a single splattered woodie shot with a CF rifle over a field of meadow grass is NOT legitimate crop protection, it is blatant killing for pleasure and is wholly wrong... just as shooting a wood pigeon in your back garden would be. No court in the country would see it any other way!

The general licence also includes, vegetables, fruit and foodstuffs for livestock.

Like I said, if you grow your own fruit or veg and the woodys eat it, the scare crows didn't work, nor did the other bird scaring devices, then you can shoot them in your garden.

Iv never seen a pigeon eating grass, but if you say he was, and the field the bird was feeding on, was grazing land for cattle, again, he could have legally shot the bird.

Im not defending the OP, I personally would not do what he has done. However, he has not done anything illegal. But because he has upset a few peoples morals, they feel the need to have a pop.

Edited by chrispti

Shooting over crops we have a defense.... it is up to the farmer to prove he has done this No it isn't, it is up to you to prove that this has been done, whether by yourself or another party e.g. the farmer, we are just another tool, albeit the last resort. In your own garden..... well... again... destroying crops a pigeon can destroy large parts of a vegetable patch in a couple of days ??? causing a hazard to public health or livestock ??? DO NOT shoot pigeons in your garden, if caught you WILL be prosecuted and WILL lose! I would wager that if someone shot a wood pigeon in their garden in the vicinity of their well protected vegetable patch they would have absolutely nothing to lose sleep about, they would be acting both within the spirit and the letter of the law.

Agreed , I have just read this post and it is a little silly. Yes shooting it with a rifle that large may be overkill, but it is dead and it most certainly would have been humane. Reference to the back stop who knows it was not there. What's to say that the pigeon was not shot somewhere else and moved for a photo. Which for instance could have been a crop of some sort.

Ref to Chrispti comments he is correct, you are able to shoot them in your back garden to protect vegetables patches and even to stop them destroying parts of your garden. C'mon guys lets not get all silly about something 70% of us all do and that's shoot live quarry. All be it with a 410,12,20,17hmr, etc etc s long as it is killed humanely does it really matter( I did not see the photo )

At least he didn't shoot a single Canada on a pond with a 22 air rifle :rolleyes::good:

Edited by mpk

come on vipa its a pigeon its very hard to say it was illegally shot as you have any manner of justification. As for the backstop I did wonder as the trail of pigeon looked like it was going downhill towards the cows but without being there its hard to comment. If you want to start on people pigeon shooting along the lines you have you are actually picking on about 95% of the pigeon shooters here

come on vipa its a pigeon its very hard to say it was illegally shot as you have any manner of justification. As for the backstop I did wonder as the trail of pigeon looked like it was going downhill towards the cows but without being there its hard to comment. If you want to start on people pigeon shooting along the lines you have you are actually picking on about 95% of the pigeon shooters here

No Alex... not 95% of the pigeon shooters on here... the picture was very definately... " ooo.... look what a triple does to a pigeon!" that is gratuitous and blood thirsty... it was done for no other reason than to kill something..

I am not being self righteous, I shoot pigeons but I wouldn't ever think of popping one with my .308 or 6.5 while I was out stalking! what's the point?.... that's right.... there isn't one!

Edited by Vipa