Which is the bigger caliber ?

Just wondering guys, iv always been a bit confused about which one is the bigger caliber. Iv heard that the .223 is bigger but, it has a smaller cartridge size that the .22-250 and has a lower velocity.

Could you shed some light on this guys ?

Correct.

.22(/250) versus .223 inches.

22/250 is a 'necked down' cartridge (bigger) so it has more speed if the bullets are the same weight.

al4x (Who got in whilst I was typing) is right in his comment about the actual size but don't worry about that - the theory is just the same.

Edited by Grandalf

22.250 has the greatest velocity . they both use .224 heads .its the case sizes which differ 22.250 is much larger than 223 .

My .223 shoots a 40 grain bullet at 3,600 ft/sec. Just the recipe I was given. I cant see a .22-250 being always a faster round?

the 22-250 will push that same 40 gr bullet near to 3900 fps. But the real benefit is when you go to heavier bullets which take up case space. Take up 20% of a 223 case (like you would with a 75 gr a-max) and you've lost a lot of powder. With the 22-250 you don't loose the powder space so you can use slower burning powders and more of them.

thanks

rick

My .223 shoots a 40 grain bullet at 3,600 ft/sec. Just the recipe I was given. I cant see a .22-250 being always a faster round?

i have had my 22/250 on the chrono with 50 grain nostlers out of a 24 inch barrel and am getting 3836 fps with 39.5 grains of imr 4007 ssc powder that isnt max load

to! dont forget accuracy isn't always at top fps speed though so better off going for accuracy then speed.

you can get 40 grain bullets in them up to 4200 fps.

and can even get the 223 to push the 40's up to around 3900 fps when really pushed

thx guys for the answers. I shot a rabbit at 150 last night to zero. Spot on. Later a fox at 110ish yds just behind the eyes at about 1" lower.

thats where it seemed to be when we picked up the body. I'm very happy that at 3,600 fps I get the accuracy I expect. Its a .223 for me. Extra velocity is superflous.

However I dont expect all .22-250 rounds are faster than .223. I do accept the argument about case capacity. Thanks for the advice.

kes,

yes, for the same bullet the 22-250 will always be faster than the 223. It's just physics. Sure, if you compare a 22-250 with a 70 gr bullet and a 223 with a 40 gr then the 223 will win. But that's not a fair comparison. Maybe if you could drop to 30 gr bullets you'd have the 22-250 reach maximum speed somewhere in the range that the 223 could run, but again you'd never shoot the 22-250 with 30 gr bullets and you're unlikely to shoot the 223 with them either.

thanks

rick

thx guys for the answers. I shot a rabbit at 150 last night to zero. Spot on. Later a fox at 110ish yds just behind the eyes at about 1" lower.

thats where it seemed to be when we picked up the body. I'm very happy that at 3,600 fps I get the accuracy I expect. Its a .223 for me. Extra velocity is superflous.

However I dont expect all .22-250 rounds are faster than .223. I do accept the argument about case capacity. Thanks for the advice.

as long as your happy mate that is all that matters. the 223 is a cracking round. and does everything you want it to for a vermin and foxing rifle and also small deer

ie cwd and muntjac with 50 grain and above bullet.

I must be being thick but how the hell do you use a rabbit to zero? Sounds like you really need to do some paper punching before going out on live quarry

I must be being thick but how the hell do you use a rabbit to zero? Sounds like you really need to do some paper punching before going out on live quarry

Me thick too, but I finally twigged (got confused between the OP and Kes). I think that he may mean that his zero was 150 which proved to be spot on in the field although the 110 1" lower is suspect

Al4x I had zeroed it on paper the day before at 150 (as Wymberely correctly says) but I am concious that getting it in and out of a vehicle and its case, crossing fences etc it might have been slightly out. If it was, at that range, i'd have missed. perhaps zeroing isnt the right term, maybe confirming zero is better but since zeroing is on my cert thats what I used.

I dont practice on live quarry - does anyone?

Had I missed I would have rezeroed (with paper), I trust that explains sufficiently?

Edited by Kes

.22-250 is a .250 Savage case necked down to accept a .224 calibre bullet, the difference in powder is very different, also .223 is a small primer job and .22-250 is a large primer job, only very subtle differences but the noise they produce and the devastation of the bullet are very very different.

something doesnt read right there.

0" at 150yds

-1" at 110yds

unless your gun is throwing baseball style "sliders" that curve upwards.

if zeroed at 150yds I would expect it to be slightly higher than that at 110yds but nothing like an inch higher.

maybe an inch drop over 70-100 yards