Best calibre for large deer?

Hunter Gatherer

HG, If you google "Chuck Hawks", it will take you to an american website with lots of interesting information about the performance of different calibres. Obviously the yanks are keen on the 30-06 so ignore that but the rest is well worth a read ;)

I was very keen on the 25-06, and you will find a lot of people rate the .275/7mm round but bear in mind that not everybody stocks these rounds! My local stockist has .243, .270 and .308 in plenty of different bullet weights, so if you are not going to reload your own brass be very careful what you buy.

Regards, flytie.

This is very 6.5mm keen forum, don't overlook the 25-06 and don't believe all the guff about barrel burning - that only applies if you are down the range every other day.

Speak to people who use them and don't listen to those who don't ???

I have 6.5 and have shot a few Reds with it, they didn't seem to know much about it ;)

The guy who takes us out has seen it all, done it all, and got the tee shirt, he now uses a 25-06 almost exclusivley, and he has about 5 or 6 guns in other calibres he could reach for each morning, but that is one he takes - food for thought.

7x57 is another very capable calibre, which has, I am told, very controlled expansion so another round that is kind to meat.

The TRG-22 is the updated version of the TRG-21 which is a fully fledged sniper rifle, :o and is in my opinion totally unsuitable as a stalking rifle.

Yes of course it will do the job, but so would an AK47 or an AR15 or … :( ..well you get the picture.

What you are looking for in a stalking rifle is a rifle that can be easily carried across hills and dales and is fairly lightweight.

The TRG-22 is a totally different beast and would be out of place on a deer stalk. I can’t see your FEO wanting to allow it for deer anyhow. :D

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn22-e.htm

G.M.

I shoot with a .308 all of the time.

Never had a massive amount of meat damage with 123grain Sako ammunition.

.308 ammo is available in any country you visit worldwide and is reasonably priced.

If I had to change, .243 would be my next choice.

Rob.

Things here in Canada may be a little different than where you hunt, but I use a 25-06 for field hunting, and a 308win for bush with longer shots (200 yds) and a 30-30win in heavy bush (less than 100 yds) for deer.

The way we see it here (deer 75-300lbs, coyotes 30-75lbs):

222/223 varmint gun Hare, foxes, coyotes and wood chucks

243 absolute min for deer and as above

25-06, 257 Roberts best comprimise for deer and varmints in farm country, a little too much meat waste on close range deer but effective range to 350 yds with 100 gr slug

270 is much like the 25-06 but can be used on all big game ( I wouldn't take a 25-06 for Moose)

280, 7mm Rem mag, 30-06, 308 are the best big game choices here with the 30-06 being the most common. My prefernce is the shorter case length of the 308 (shorter bolt throw, and slightly lighter gun). Bullet weights would be 165gr for deer and smaller, 180-200 for moose.

7mm Rem mag kicks like a bear and wastes too much meat on deer for me.

So my choices are 25-06 with 100gr slug for deer and smaller if deer ranges are 100-300yds(preferably not less than 100), woodchucks to 500yds , and 308 for all game 0-200yds. But my fav is shooting deer less than 100yds with a 100yr old 30-30 win.

Many people I hunt with use 270's and 30-06 and they work very well.