Been to vets

Gadge-it

Dont talk about bl**dy vets.

I know they have to make money....but!!

I was in there for 7 minutes one consultation, small bottle of ear stuff (ear inflamed), four minutes i was in there. £78.00 lighter. the oinment, i found on a website for £14.80, they charged me £31.60. Found cheaper vet in the last two days.

TC

my vets bill so far £4000 and another £2000/3000 on top to come :rolleyes:

if my dog was not insured she would be dead/pts , simple as that.

i am struggling to pay premiums and excess at the mo , lack of money and work etc , but i,m so glad i have her insured

How much is a private consultation with a doctor? There is no NHS for pets, they receive private health care. No one subsidises the service. I pay £50 per month to BUPA on top of my tax going to the NHS. All these bills are a bargain, veterinary fees in this country are a lot lower than elsewhere in the world.

Owning a pet is a privilege, not a right. If you can't pay for their healthcare take out insurance. If you can't afford the insurance get a guinea pig.

hate to say it but the second case would probably be lower than the excess and the first not worth a claim by the time you have paid the excess and then put a claim in your history. There are reasonably priced vets and there are expensive ones, its turned into big business certainly round here. When you find a decent one stick with them, I've got one and the last bill for a cut pad including keeping her in during the day anasthetic and stapling and bandaging it was £80 and redress and check was another £18 you could say I was happy paying it. Mines insured I've coughed up £700 so far or so and not claimed but you know as soon as you don't insure that something will happen

My springer costs me £15 a month, on a For Life insurance policy.

A small price to pay if you ask me, my SKY subscription is a lot more than that - yet I know which one I use and depend on more.

Who,s that insurance with thats cheep??? does that cover everything and is the access high???

Our Springer, Billy, went lame on the morning (Thursday) of our departure to the CLA Game Fair. We got an immediate appointment and they diagnosed a grass seed inbetween the toes (they could see the entry hole). They kept him for a few hours to let his breakfast go down then under sedation removed a seed and some straggly bits. They said no walking on grass unless he's wearing a sock (yeah, right, you put it on him!) and he's to wear a lampshade (£8.80 on the bill), have the foot washed every night etc etc. We went on the Fair and he was fine (without sock/lampshade) until a lump appeared on top of the wrist. Back to the vet's Monday evening for them to remove another large seed that was erupting through the skin out of the fluid lump. More antibiotics and he looks to be seed free now. Total bill-£183.

We're insured but £65 excess plus 10% of the total bill would only recover c£100. We're wondering whether the impact on our future premiums, should we claim, exceed the insurance payout.....

Just been to the vets today to get some glass out the labs paw £167 lighter robbing b.......s

taken an injured dog to the vets is like taken a car to a bodyshop the first thing they ask is is it an insurance claim :huh: i often wonder why :rolleyes: i used to pay approx a tenner a dog a month about 6 years ago then i claimed for the first time they upped the premium on all the dogs they then a increased the payments on the older dog as she was now ten and to cap it of before i could make a claim i had to pay the vet £12 admin charge for them to fill paperwork in for the insurance co to payout .so took what some would say was a gamble i put £50 away amonth to pay for vet bills .yes my dogs have had to see the vet so has the ferrets but up to now i have managed to be on the winning side of the payments ps and when i have saved enough i transfere the money into premium bonds any winning go back into the pot for the dogs only 3x £25 up to now but you never now might have rich dogs one day. :lol:

IAM STARTING JUST TO PUT MONEY AWAY EVERY MONTH NOW IF I DOENT USE IT THEN I CAN SPEND IT ON SHOOTING STUFF :good:

There's no point putting it away just to spend it. It's quite easy to spend £3000-5000 on some serious but fixable conditions. Don't spend any until you have got to that level. This is why saving £100/month doesn't usually work as a system. Insurance works out better value as you can claim straight away.

What would warrant £3 - £5K worth of treatment that would leave you with a dog capable of a days hard work in the field?

I am not having a go, its a serious question.

My mindset is that if a dog needs that money spent on it, it is a serious condition and the dog is unlikely to regain full health and therefore unlikely to fulfil the role for which I own the dog. I wouldn't put a dog through it only to be unable to do what it has been trained for.

Whilst I love my dogs they are not family pets, they are working tools and their love of life comes from being able to work. If they are unable to do that my view is that their quality of life is compromised.

What would warrant £3 - £5K worth of treatment that would leave you with a dog capable of a days hard work in the field?

I am not having a go, its a serious question.

Ruptured cruciate ligament repaired with a TPLO, regularly just as 1 is about better the other goes. I know a number of dogs that work HARD after bilateral cruciate ops. You are up at the top of my estimate there, could easily be up to £6000 with all treatment.

Complicated fractures. Spaniel that got leg caught in the rack on the back of a quad bike. Open fracture, external fixation, prolonged recovery, missed the rest of that season but was raring to go (and 100% back to normal) next season.

Know a chap who works flatcoat retrievers, one has an ongoing skin condition. The medication costs £200/month and with other diagnostics will have cost over £3000 in the first year. The dog is normal on treatment and able to work.

I pay £40.00 a month with M&S for my two borders and over the last 12 month have claimed back almost 2 grand for one of them that developed an illness and needed some expensive drugs and lots of tests and consultations with the vet.The first claim I had to pay the first £70.00 and after that they have paid back every penny claimed.

She is almost fully recoverd now and only on a very small amount of medication so hopefully will soon be coming to an end.

I have the highest respect for the vet and beleive she saved the dogs life as she was almost dead when we took her in and it was a few days before they could come up with an answer.

I am glad I can afford the insurance.

Thanks.

Its interesting and I've mixed views I'm not sure how many people would spend 3-5k on a cruciate repair and put the dog back to hard work without expecting to damage it again, and if it did happen whether the insurers would cover it. I know my mates springer isn't insured and he had hers done by a local vet and the cost was about £600 but at 12 she is not really doing full days any more, his was the non insured option and worked a treat. My inkling is if you are sensible then putting money away will work but it involves not being too sentimental. You get a very different response from vets if you say its not insured and will have to be put to sleep in that case. Then alternative forms of treatment seem to come out of the woodwork, one things for sure if you have 2 or more dogs you end up paying a fair wack for insurance.

Do your sums guys...

I have had (on average) 3 dogs for the past 15 years...

3 x £20 a month is £60...

x 12 months is £720 per year

x 15 years is £10,800

I've never had insurance and there is no way I've paid over 10 grand to the vets in 15 years - not even a third of that even with some pretty nasty injuries, cancer etc etc. Maybe me and my dogs are just lucky?

Cheers

Gillaroo

Edited by Gillaroo