17 HMR OR A .22WMR

Archie-fox

Having owned both calibers i stuck with the WMR 2200fps 30 to 50g bullet has more stopping power mind you some will say there not as accurate and they were not until the newer ammo Hornady has developed its horses for courses mate and you can get WMR in semi auto too :good:

Edited by steyrman

WMR has more predictable results on quarry and the highest energy of all the rimfires- but increased windages on the HMR which in itself is not great. For longer range rabbits the HMR is very much the better choice traveling far faster and flatter, yet the wmr is far more capable and predictable on bigger or tougher quarry. Little 17 grn bullets do funny things at times the extra frangibility can be both a curse and a blessing

looking at your list of guns personally I'd give it a miss for rabbits the HMR will be better, you know what it can do and do you really want to go to a caliber that will be loopy in comparison. Then your centrefires are by far the better fox tools with the HMR being fine for the occasional close one if your ticket allows

I have shot them at that range before but I've had a runner once so I only do it if less than 50 or so yards otherwise I hit them with my 22/250....I just want to make sure I put them down if I hit them...just a personal thing really...but was thinking with a heavier bullet it will do the job more cleanly...

Would you say it will stop a fox better up to 50 yards?? As I really don't like shooting them with my 17hmr and was out lamping last thursday and saw 5 foxes but didn't take a shot as only had the 17 all the foxes were under 70/80 yards...

and you did the right thing in not taking a shot you were not sure of. The .22 mag would have been better but not ideal and you still might not have wanted to take the shots, all rimfires are marginal on fox. Spot on the spot placement and they all have the capability at greater range but get it wrong and its a different story, in the field stuff happens thats why we have centrefires

Nothing wrong really with trying to find a happy medium between a rabit and fox rifle as if you have to walk your shoot you really dont want to be having to lug 2 rifles around plus lamping gear etc ! I wish i could find something i was certain would be right for both fox and bunny, esp something i could re-load for (not to save money just so that i can fiddle lol) :good:

For now am sticking with my HMR untill iv got my mind made up and am going to treat it to re-bluing the barrel and looking out for a new stock for it, probobly something laminate and extravigant if it wont cost to much !

:good:

Nothing wrong really with trying to find a happy medium between a rabit and fox rifle as if you have to walk your shoot you really dont want to be having to lug 2 rifles around plus lamping gear etc ! I wish i could find something i was certain would be right for both fox and bunny, esp something i could re-load for (not to save money just so that i can fiddle lol) :good:

its a quandry and sadly there isn't a happy medium. The best solution is go out with a mate and take 2 rifles then everything is covered. I've shot more than a few with my HMR and have no qualms about doing it again but unless its sitting round buildings its not intentionally foxing with it. One big thing you have to think about is when you've had them close in the lamp once and they have figured out there is a person behind it you are well on the way to making them lamp shy.

I know what your saying al4x but if the WMR has a little more punch than a 17HMR I would consider taking shots upto 60/70 yards but I would still use it for rabbits but should I bump into a fox then it wouldn't be out of the question...if I'm solely out foxing then it's only the 22/250 or the 243 nothing smaller....

For now am sticking with my HMR untill iv got my mind made up and am going to treat it to re-bluing the barrel and looking out for a new stock for it, probobly something laminate and extravigant if it wont cost to much !

:good:

This is why i went .22 Hornet, the HMR was a cracking longer range Rabbit round when the wind wasn't too unpredictable but personally i lost much confidence on it terminally with use on most other stuff. Too early yet to make comment on the Hornet on quarry as it aint done enough work, but it totally wipes the eye of the hmr on drop,windage and energy and for a re-loader no more expensive to feed

Meaning???

I am in favour of the HMR and have just eaten a gooseberry fool.........

I too had this thought i think its a very comman situation but i stuck with the HMR and am happy about it, sometimes i wish i had a quite rabbit gun now and again but all in the HMR is a very good bit of kit if a tad expensive to feed............

Edited by pavman

I didn't stick with WMR for long. The relatively low power means there is very little margin for error when shooting foxes.

I soon decided the foxes deserve a centrefire after having a few run off.

I found the WMR bounce badly too.

HMR much more fun for long range rabbits as they are flatter shooting.

Edited by ian_in_the_midlands