recommend a first gun please

I am going to start clay shooting on a regular basis and I would like to buy my own gun. I already have a license and gun cabinet so what would you recommend?

New or 2nd hand? I been wary of 2nd hand but what can go wrong and what can I look out for? What length barrels?

I am looking to spend £1,500 - £2,000 unless people recommend something different.

Thanks

Surely barrel length depends on your size. For example, I'm 5ft 4in female and 28 inch is perfect for me. Any more than that and all I get is a face full of barrel and a knackered arm. I have a miroku and it's the best gun I could hope for. A real work horse that seems to happy with what ever I do with it.

You can get one for £1k, with change. Secondhand is not like a used car. Guns last a lifetime.

Miroku, Browning, Beretta - you won't go far wrong. Get one with an adjustable stock.

I totally agree - up to the point of the adjustable stock, just something else to worry about.

You can get one for £1k, with change. Secondhand is not like a used car. Guns last a lifetime.

Miroku, Browning, Beretta - you won't go far wrong. Get one with an adjustable stock.

Although I know why you suggest an adjustable stock, I strongly disagree for a relative beginner. It is another variable to cope with or confuse.An adjustable stock is great in the right hands and makes one gun much more versatile, but only useful to the very experienced in my opinion.

Although I know why you suggest an adjustable stock, I strongly disagree for a relative beginner. It is another variable to cope with or confuse.An adjustable stock is great in the right hands and makes one gun much more versatile, but only useful to the very experienced in my opinion.

If the adjustment is done by the coach rather than the shooter it's fine and makes it less likely to be a poor fit and need changing.

I agree £1k should be plenty for a nice gun (unless your left handed! or become left handed like me :blink: ) the rest is enough for plenty of lessons and practice.

good point tarn

i will of course be trying before i buy but thought i would get some recommendations first.

What is the difference between a "trap" gun and a "sporter"?

If you are just starting out I wouldn't worry about getting a specific gun. You will pay more for a gun that's set up for a specific discipline.

I agree with who ever said about going for an adjustable stock, it's another thing to worry about/ blame. Go and see a good instructor and they should be able to help you with gun fit. Paul 'alfie' old ring is the best I have come across. He is good with sporting, game and Olympic disciplines

The chances of you getting your first gun and it fitting you - once you have shot a bit - are slim to zero - perhaps slightly better.

Get an adjustable stock. Set it at the point where it is exactly where a non-adjustable would be. If it fits - result. If it doesn't - it is easily altered.

Coach recommends the adjustable - good enough for me. :good: :good: :good:

I have never understood why people are so anti adjustable stock with beginners as it gives you options in gun fit.

Mucking about with cast does take some skill but setting the comb height is very easy using the old pound coin trick and the major problem with gun fit and a consistent mount with beginners is a comb height being too low and obscuring the dominant eye.

Expert shooters have a consistent mount, beginners don’t so they benefit in a comb that stops them lifting the head off the stock or switching dominance due to obstruction of the dominant eye.

Leave the cast alone and raise or lower the comb to give an un-obscured view, tighten the bolts & throw away the Allen key.

As far as what to get its personal preference, as has been said for the price range you have quoted Miroku, Browning or Beretta.

2nd hand is no problem if bought from a reputable dealer and most have transferable warranties, private is not a problem either if you know your guns but you could end up with a pup with no come back.

The main differences between a trap gun and a sporter are: the trap gun usually has a higher stock and a higher rib, they also tend to pattern higher than a sporter as the targets are always rising or going away, sporters tend to shoot flatter due to the variation in targets.

:good:

miroku mk38 32inch barrels you will not go wrong.

I bought one recently can't fault it. But as others have said fit is very important, I've shot Beretta autos for 30 years, so thought a Beretta OU would be fine, they don't fit me. I had one shop tell me not to buy a Miroku because they only come in a cardboard box, never did see his logic but someone else got my money. You can buy a new MK38 in most places for £1350 , used ones seem to go for around £975, I got my year old one for a little under that, but had to buy two eague chokes for skeet.

As others have said you won't go wrong with a Browning, Beretta or Miroku.

Don't sweat it if you can't find one with an adjustable stock as you can always have the original stock made into an adjustable for approx £160 :good:

Just make sure it fits!

Just make sure it fits!

If it fits then there is no need to make it into an adjustable.

Length of pull is the only thing you cannot change with an adjustable, too short is easily cured with a spacer, too long requires work that could be done at the same time as conversion. But unless the LOP is wildly out its not going to be a problem.

Having seen NickyT's conversion it looks like it was done at the Beretta factory.

got myself a Miroku mk 70 with 30 inch barrels a couple of months ago new for £1100. nice fit for me and had no problems with it. put 1000 rounds through it since May and loving it.

I found as a beginner that what you think is a good fit can change as you get used to shooting. I thought the cast was fine but recently needed to extend but this was no problem with a recoil pad. I'm sure as I develop I'll need further adjustments so I can see the logic of getting an adjustable but it's fairly easy to get around it in my limited experience as long as the comb is fine (which for me, it is)

Edited by Zapalniczka

The three big names spend a fortune in marketing and advertising guns around the £1500 area and consequently have a big following

The other manufacturers do not make poor guns, but manage to often sell at prices below those big three and therefore often thought of as inferior, and they seem to limit themselves to under £1500

What I am trying to say is judge the quality and fit of the gun not the name on the tag

Over about £1500 then no-comment they are still two tubes an a trigger