First Fallow

Elma Fud

Thats a fab head mate, well done indeed. :unsure: :blink:

Smashing photo, what caliber and make of rifle was that?

Our season finished here at the end of feb :good: , but as i can see, you can culled them up untill end of April over in the UK, am i right?

Edited by Frank

Congratulations with your fallow ! Well done.

Fallow can be a hard and sturdy beast when shot. Sometimes i find they don't even seem to be bothered to much by the bullit and walk away, but drop dead in 150 meters (i shoot with .308, normally you can spot the impact when you shoot). Did yours drop on the spot or run away? I ask this because over here we use the .243 primarily for roedeer (excellent caliber for that).

Congratulations with your fallow ! Well done.

Fallow can be a hard and sturdy beast when shot. Sometimes i find they don't even seem to be bothered to much by the bullit and walk away, but drop dead in 150 meters (i shoot with .308, normally you can spot the impact when you shoot). Did yours drop on the spot or run away? I ask this because over here we use the .243 primarily for roedeer (excellent caliber for that).

Very intersting. I have heard this before about the .243 from my mate who has one.

He finds the 100gr Soft Points dont expand as quick as the 95 gr SSts :blush: , these seem to loose all their energy in the deer, therfore, killing quickly and humanely.

Holland&Holland

The buck suspected something, when he turned broadside I gave him one in the chest. He trotted off and dropped about 70 yards away. I was confident that it was a good strike, but its still un-nerving to see him heading away and almost out of sight from you before dropping.

i hate the running off to. i shot a similar beast late march! hes weighed out at 120 lbs dressed, so a big chap!

i use a 243 he went down a on the spot with a 96 meters neck shot. all the fallow i shoot are in the neck, i never take a shot unless im 110%, so iv never had a problem.

younggun

Speaking with the keeper on the estate who took the animal to the gamedealers said the deer weighed 110Lbs clean (Head & feet off)

He received £68 for it. Is that about right for an animal that size?

Also, as I dont shoot fallow I take it, that this a normal weight for a mature animal.