MAKING LEAD SHOT

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no idea sorry.. i [icked it up at an arms fair.. it looks like plyers with a brass rod , the rod opens to give you the round,,

Sounds like the LEM mould. They used to sell them years ago. I had one. Cast .22 pointed airgun pellets with a hollow base but they never shot well in my air rifle

Finally joined the forum and the org.

Great op for info exchange.

What I've managed to find out and experience....

I load my own because it's the same shot every time I pull the trigger

AND cost is a bit less (average 30% reduction) after the first year.

Remember you have to purchase the press and the powder and shot.

I use an old MEC Grabber 7 series because it still works. No other reason.

I'm cheap and don't trust the ammo suppliers to keep it up.

Lead is too dang expensive for no reason other than some bleeding heart liberals think its bad and it is but how much bad is bad?

I capture lead from a various methods including purchasing shot or ingots. Matters not to me

where it comes as long as it's clean.

Traditional 'shot making' involves some givens.

I'd love to see the pictures when they are put up on line or can be PM'd.

Shot drippers are traditionally point 023 inches for #6, I'd assume you need a smaller hole by increment to reduce size

Lead melts but continues to warm up the more heat you apply

1/4-1 inch (depending on your lead consistency) is the optimum drop distance.

soap stone helps lubricate and assist the drop (for the spendy littleton dropper).

Your cooling solution must be circulated and cooled or you'll always be fighting the oblongs and tears

1 pound of shot dripped will raise one gallon of water a specific level but that's dependent on the lead temp,

the size of the reservoir and the output rate... (figure on four degrees F per pound per gallon at one gallon) it's not the same for

two gallons, you have to do some basic math once you see the temp changes). Not here to teach math.

You may use drywall compound mixed with your water (non toxic heat exchange)

READ You MUST PUMP IT TO CIRCULATE the solution or it sticks and turns to mud at the bottom of everything

Issue is circulation and density. Gypsum dissipates heat very well but it's granular.

Doesn't leave dimples in the shot like prop glycol or oil or plain water

The littleton people don't tell you that. They also don't recommend the hydraulic fluid anymore. The do recommend

Prop/glycol (deadly around dogs and animals (humans included).

the distance the shot falls in a solution is as important as the depth of the cooling drop.

farther equals more round.

Antimony (like alimony) 1-2 percent helps make shot harder (READ HITS HARDER)

graphite helps with loading and separation (non stick 'em)

Graphite is painful to clean off whatever it touches (A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY)

Pictures can be PM'd to me if you're willing to consider allowing me

No other copies to be sent, or given outward. Promise.

Although I am a newbie here I'm not a newbie to shot and loading.

If you have questions let me know and I'll share, openly or 1:1, your choice.

Hamrsmyth said that.

UK Fowler

the problems with low blood sugar you can not see straight and the brain dont function properly not easy with no spell checker, been working too long without proper food

Deershooter

Look after yourself old fruit; I suffer in the same way when I neglect my sustinence. I've got 20 years on you!

Figured a way to do the shot.

Works but it's not efficient, yet. Took about two hours to run five lbs of US Number 6 shot but I'm still figuring out the bits and pieces.

I don't have a working digital camera right now, my wife is out of the area using ours on 'holiday' with my daughters.

Here's what I figured out, probably not the same design but it worked for me.

Steel ladle hole punched from the bottom up. I used a number six finish nail on a block of wood to punch up into the ladle body (almost dead center at the bottom.

Don't punch too deep or too hard or you'll have really big shot.

Small steel plate bolted to the bottom of the ladle to use as a ramp (approx 3 inches long). I used a piece of 1/8 inch x 2 inch x 3 inch long piece of D2 tool steel left over from a knife project.

Scrap anything steel is fine as long as it's smooth and clean. Aluminum may work but I didn't have any.

Steel plate absolutely has to be clean and you should use 'soap stone' to polish the flat bar that's bolted to the bottom of the ladle. Number 10 bolt and nut hole drilled into the ladle and steel plate.

Issue, the steel plate must have zero burs on it. I used a mill file to smooth off the band saw bur... and I put a little radius on it to help the shot drop off the ramp.

then polished the radius with crocus cloth (real fine emery cloth for steel 600 grit is what I had available.

Washed it with isopropyl alcohol to remove the bits of steel left over. Polished it with soap stone.

So you have a ladle (large is good) made of steel or chromed over tin. with a plate of steel bolted to it under the hole in the bottom of the ladle.

you have need to use a small propane torch to keep the ladle warm or the lead gets cool and plugs up the hole in the ladle (hence no shot).

I've experimented today with different lengths of a right angle steel (three feet worked best) to run the wanna be shot down to aid in cooling.

I wanted to cool the shot faster than direct drip into a bucket. The ramp seems to work ok, still looking for other ways to dissipate heat faster.

issue: The steel ramp has to be clean and smooth OR you'll pool up or the lead will diddle around in the valley of the long ramp and make a mess on the garage floor.

Elbow grease in abundant levels gets things ready.

My lead has 2% antimony and 98% lead. The antimony helps harden the shot when it cools. Arsenic also works to help the lead harden but c'mon, arsenic?

i tried to go directly into water but found I got better results (but a bit more ungainly) to drop the lead wanna be shot down a ramp into a used plastic five gallon bucket of water with dishwashing detergent in it.

(! cup per gallon of water). Didn't have any drywall compound/mud or a pump to circulate the fluid. So tried soap. Seemed to work ok.

Probably not what the other post was about in here but it worked.

As soon as I get the pieces fixed right I'll post with pictures and diagrams for all to see.

Right now it's still primitive but I'm getting round shot. that looks pretty much the same.

More 'experimenting' to do.

Am I close to the process or is this much different?

Have been useing a shotmaker based on the "Littleton" short drop method for some years now and it produces about 35Kg an hour. Bought the set up from Sitsinhedges a while back with 'Monkeyhanger' and it has saved me a fortune in cart costs. If floating barrels has a better version I would be interested.

I use neat detergent as the cooling medium (cheap stuff from markets)with large cooling reservoir which is fan cooled through old fridge fan and cooling coils.System can run continuous with constant cooling medium temp and also monitoring lead temp in reservoir to keep as constant as poss ensures uniform shot size.I have also made large mesh strainer to take out the dross and only 6 and 7 size shot pass through and there is no need to seive further as constant lead and coolant temp ensures correct size from dripper nozzles.

I can only say thanks to 'Sitsinhedges' as the shotmaker has saved me a furtune over the years. :good::good: