MAKING LEAD SHOT

Most of the 'regulars' on here know that I have been making lead shot since 1973. I have used four tried-and-tested shot makers and successfully made my own. I have watched as PW members have developed their own apparatus and much information has been shared. For the last five years I have relied on a hefty Littleton shotmaker....

BUT.... yesterday, I was astounded at the performance of a 'secret' (so far) design I was given to test.

This design, which has no machined parts, electric heaters, gas rings, thermostats, etc was set up in four minutes and produced shot faster than I could feed it and retrieve it, and, with no scrap! It showers shot!

The whole set-up is no bigger than shoe-box size and is dismantled in seconds once cooled; a true, short time, kitchen-top method. Nothing is wasted. No mess.

The quality of the shot is excellent and I made enough in 30mins (from set-up to pack-up) to last me a month.

I have been given permission to describe the performance of the design but to give no secrets away, (apart from the fact that my simple gravity adjuster is to be adopted) until a shed load of these devices are ready for sale. And yes, they will be as cheap as chips!

WATCH THIS SPACE!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013

Most of the 'regulars' on here know that I have been making lead shot since 1973. I have used four tried-and-tested shot makers and successfully made my own. I have watched as PW members have developed their own apparatus and much information has been shared. For the last five years I have relied on a hefty Littleton shotmaker....

BUT.... yesterday, I was astounded at the performance of a 'secret' (so far) design I was given to test.

This design, which has no machined parts, electric heaters, gas rings, thermostats, etc was set up in four minutes and produced shot faster than I could feed it and retrieve it, and, with no scrap! It showers shot!

The whole set-up is no bigger than shoe-box size and is dismantled in seconds once cooled; a true, short time, kitchen-top method. Nothing is wasted. No mess.

The quality of the shot is excellent and I made enough in 30mins (from set-up to pack-up) to last me a month.

I have been given permission to describe the performance of the design but to give no secrets away, (apart from the fact that my simple gravity adjuster is to be adopted) until a shed load of these devices are ready for sale. And yes, they will be as cheap as chips!

WATCH THIS SPACE!

thats absolutely cool ! you are starting a reloading revolution....

The trouble with scrap lead is its getting harder to find. Wheel weights are drying up quickly and you really want a bit of antimony in the mix to harden it up a bit. Even the plumbers don't get anything like as much as they used to and scrap metal merchants won't sell to you any more. Before you get too carried away ensure you have a source of supply. A hundredweight of lead gives you enough shot for about 2000 cartridges.

Edited by Vince Green

Cool! Cooling seems to be the issue, if it takes a 100ft drop to cool molten lead shot in normal temperatures, maybe the secret is cooling it in some other way?

I've being thinking about scrap metal generally lately! The price of metal is high and I'm reading about scrap gold in old computer equipment and cell phones, I see lots of brass ornaments at car boot sales for pennies and wonder what the scrap value is! For lead, the scrappers in WW1/2 that took away everyone's Iron railings for making into tanks missed a trick, they left behind the lead that secured the iron railings into the stonework! Here in yorkshire it's everywhere and nobody is mining it! Seriously, just go to a scrap yard and pay the scrap price for lead, it is still far cheaper than buying shot!

Now how do I make lead shot?

Cool! Cooling seems to be the issue, if it takes a 100ft drop to cool molten lead shot in normal temperatures, maybe the secret is cooling it in some other way?

I've being thinking about scrap metal generally lately! The price of metal is high and I'm reading about scrap gold in old computer equipment and cell phones, I see lots of brass ornaments at car boot sales for pennies and wonder what the scrap value is! For lead, the scrappers in WW1/2 that took away everyone's Iron railings for making into tanks missed a trick, they left behind the lead that secured the iron railings into the stonework! Here in yorkshire it's everywhere and nobody is mining it! Seriously, just go to a scrap yard and pay the scrap price for lead, it is still far cheaper than buying shot!

Now how do I make lead shot?

yes their is a much much better way a search for the op and shot makeing will produce some good reading orrrrrrr youtube littleton shot maker!

Will it produce a larger shot size? Something in the 3 to BB range suitable for foxing loads. As lead is no longer used for wildfowling there are no lead heavies available for foxing. Good job that I’ve got a FEW in stock..

I have a good supply of AAA, 1, 3 and 4 if you need some - all at £4 a KG and factory shot

Regards

Graham