my mistake

bignoel

well i thought i would treat myself to a new dog i got offerd a springer dog 10mths old .the lady owner bought him as a pet from working stock but found she couldnt manage him anymore .so i bought him within a few hard weeks he was doing quite well sit stay retreive heal .but recall was a nightmare and i just could not stop him chaseing flys butterflys birds anything infact .but i liked him so the next course was a gundog trainer after 4 weeks in he is spot on on recall to the whistle BUT the trainer has told me he has this hunting chaseing embeded in his head and out side the enclosure he is gone he wont make a line dog he wont make a pigeon hide dog he just has this hunt in his head .the lady who owned him told me recently she just allowed him to run riot .so a exspensive lesson learnd .

well i thought i would treat myself to a new dog i got offerd a springer dog 10mths old .the lady owner bought him as a pet from working stock but found she couldnt manage him anymore .so i bought him within a few hard weeks he was doing quite well sit stay retreive heal .but recall was a nightmare and i just could not stop him chaseing flys butterflys birds anything infact .but i liked him so the next course was a gundog trainer after 4 weeks in he is spot on on recall to the whistle BUT the trainer has told me he has this hunting chaseing embeded in his head and out side the enclosure he is gone he wont make a line dog he wont make a pigeon hide dog he just has this hunt in his head .the lady who owned him told me recently she just allowed him to run riot .so a exspensive lesson learnd .

don't you believe it, just because a pro-trainer says it can't be sorted. What he means is he can't sort it in a reasonably quick fix way its going to take a lot of time and determination to sort, with inevitable set backs and maybee some trial and error- however better have a dog thats keen you need to bring back into line than the reverse. If he realy thinks it cannot be done you wasted your money on him NOT the dog

hi best way forward is backwards. go back to basics and get the stop 100% don't allow the dog off lead to hunt

the hunt must be earned and given as a reward in short 5-10 min doses.

if he succeeds at a few retrieves then allow him a hunt, if you can read the dog and see his attitude change and you know he is about to chase you need to get after him, and put him back on the lead.

continue to walk up to pigeon, crows magpies etc with him on a lead and as soon as the bird takes off you need to sit him and praise him.

he will learn this new stop to flush you just need perseverance, a lot of handlers will encourage a chase in a young dog to build up drive and speed. all is not lost just keep at him with the behavour you desire the dog will look to please you and earn you praise,

don't be too hard on him if he chases, it is not his fault it is yours so remember this and go back a few steps

time off lead is a privaledge and has to be earned.

begin and end with some fun things like the pup chasing you :good:

good luck

Jan

well i just collected him .and he is a hell of a lot bettrer but the urge to run and hunt is still there 100% i can see what the trainer was saying even as we stood chatting the dog was looking in the hedge up into the sky everywhere but at us . still he is rehomed tonight to a huntting pack where he might pack up better in company :good: a exspensive lesson learnd i can tell you :yes:

How was it expensive ?

Can I ask what you thought you would be getting from a spaniel of that age that's been able to free hunt and do as it wishes and not relay been shown anything YET

p.s Lets see him then :good:

Edit to say spaniel Not cocker

Edited by Tom&Dexter

sorry to hear you let him go and never gave him or yourself a good chance. perhaps if you don't have time to train a dog then you would be better to put your money into a trained springer.

a good gundog takes takes time and patience, my first GWP was a flash pointer and a chaser but with training and growing up he learnt to hold his point longer and then watch the bird away on flush to command, with hopefully a retrieve as the reward.

but it was the hunting he enjoyed and as such his gamefinding was amazing, he knew he only got to continue the hunt if he was steady so it was not the chase in the end that he wanted but the hunting.

good luck with your next dog.

jan

one he is a springer .two the miles i drove. three the cost of him .four the trainers fee's . gun packs are of a mixed breed not all packs belong to the MFH .

blimey so there are packs running totally unsuitable dogs on foxes you hear some strange things but this is right up there with the best of them. A springer that won't stop being in a foxhunting pack you should become a comedian Noel you're quite good at it ;)

blimey so there are packs running totally unsuitable dogs on foxes you hear some strange things but this is right up there with the best of them. A springer that won't stop being in a foxhunting pack you should become a comedian Noel you're quite good at it ;)

you realy are becoming and sounding quite like a fool .have you never heard of a bobberty gun pack who operate with gamekeepers ask a few next time you manage to pull yourself away from your computor try getting out more. many many run in wales its a place just out side england :good:

I'm no expert but aren't all good Springers "KEEN", thats what makes them Springers. Shame you gave up so easy; sounds like the dog was ok to me.

Dogs are like kids you have to be prepared to put the time in, the reward comes in time. :yes:

terrier types ? those are griffen hounds. spaniel cross in the back . our keepers run bobbery packs to clear phesant pens out before poults go in we ran 22 of these hounds a bobberty gun pack on fox drives . 10 on phesant in pens .

the springer i gave away was spot on the whistle recall .he just wouldnt hold for a pigeon hide .

i am realy pleased you feel so concernd about me and my springer it realy is heart touching . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gosh, you wernt joking. :look: Another reason we see so many "part trained" or "training started" gundogs. Never heard the term Bobberty pack. Hounds are way the best choice, Terriers and lurchers are made for each other but Springers? No thanks :no: Not known for giving tounge, Low on hunting aggresion, cant go to ground, too slow to catch one. That 10month old needs rehoming with someone who cares to try :yes:

With a spaniel so hot and desperate to chase, sitting in a hide will never be a success. I would also take all advice given on a forum, bin it, and take the advice of someone who has actually seen and worked with the dog. Until you've worked with a dog like this you have NO idea what you're up against.

Never heard of the whole gun pack thing but if the dog will have a happy and active life then fair enough.

Edited by WGD

With a spaniel so hot and desperate to chase, sitting in a hide will never be a success. I would also take all advice given on a forum, bin it, and take the advice of someone who has actually seen and worked with the dog. Until you've worked with a dog like this you have NO idea what you're up against.

Never heard of the whole gun pack thing but if the dog will have a happy and active life then fair enough.

Very well said sir :good:

If you don't see it first hand people can only give their advise good or bad, all you can do is pick at the pieces and see what makes sense or not.

Did you miss the 10mnth old bit and only 4wks basic training from wild or what? This approch isn't gundog training just dog shuffling, I have seen some very good dogs that would chase a larks etc all over at ten months