Gun Cabinet Question

will1992

Hi guys, just started getting back into shooting again the past 6 months. After years of air gunning and the occasional session with the a shotgun on a mates farm ive pulled my finger out and im apllying for a shotgun certificate! Ive posted off the application and got my cabinet just need to mount it before my inspection. Just got a question about mounting it on the wall. Ive have the cabinet positioned in the corner of my bedroom upstairs on a solid wall. Obviously the skirting board makes the bottom stand out from the wall so i doesn't sit flush, so my question is before drilling my holes and putting raw bolts in do i have to cut skirting board so cabinet is on floor and against wall or can i mount it above skirting board with a block under it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also does anyone know what sort of time scale i will be looking at to get certificate granted with West Mercia providing all is well?

Cheers Will

Edited by will1992

Sit it on top of the skirting board and bolt it in, in other words, off the ground.

Really not needed, but if it's in a corner and you manage a couple of bolts in the side over and above the ones you would normally put in the back of the cabinet and it will be absolutely solid. Obviously you couldn't use anchor bolts in the side as well as the back but a couple of heavy duty screw bolts and raw plugs, one on top and another lower down and you're in business.

Good luck!

Edited by Cosd

I mounted mine with a peice of MDF board (cut to fit) to pack the back out the same as the skirting (FEO was fine with it) anchor bolts go through the board which is screwed to wall (behind and side) Also helps insulate the cabinet from the wall

Edited by HDAV

I mounted mine with a peice of MDF board (cut to fit) to pack the back out the same as the skirting (FEO was fine with it) anchor bolts go through the board which is screwed to wall (behind and side) Also helps insulate the cabinet from the wall

I had to do this with my safe as my none of the walls in my old house are plumb. FEO passed it without the packing but recommended I do it because a gap allows purchase for a crow bar. This is your best bet for a secure fit without damaging the wall.

Hi Will, I have just recieved my sgc from west mercia. I had to wait 4 weeks for my visit which was expected, but whilst i was talking to the flo he said he was surprised it was that quick...! As he left he told me to expect my cert within the week but if i dont receive it in three to give him a call. Three weeks passed and still nothing, called flo only to be told it was "pending". To cut a long story short it finally turned up five and a half weeks after the visit, so a total of nine and a half for me.

As for the cabinet, I cut the boards.

mines sat on top of a steel box that my dad made at his factory, above the skirting but i fitted my best mates for him too and just cut a sheet of mdf the same size as the cabinet and fitted that on top of the skirting then used 100 mm anchor bolts do it was flush with the skirting and mdf yet still fixed to the wall... passed with flying colours :good: :good:

fudd

i had the inspection yesterday and they said they were not happy with it above the skirting as there has been a few instances of break ins and gettting the cabiet of the wall by putting a bottle jack under the cabinet...they passed it but want it on the floor or the gap underneath blocking off