driving on stubble

cockercas

Have you ever heard any thing as stupid as not been able to drive on stubble. Just nipped in to see a farm I have permission on but he's a bit funny so I rearly shoot it. Asked if I could shoot the rabbits one night during the week. Yes he said after some mumbling and wanted a detailed plan of action. Then said oh if your driving round only drive down the headlands. Not on the stubble. If you go on the stubble I'll go ballistic. *** is all that about

you have got it good mate, just been told that due to the stewardship scheme all headlands are not to be driven on until further notice and we were never allowed to drive on the stubbles :hmm:

So in theory we now have to stick to the very limited tracks and carry/barrow all our kit everywhere, i wonder if come winter time when the pigeons are hitting the new rape hard and we say that we can't cover most of the fields as they are to far from the tracks they will still keep up this rule?

Have you ever heard any thing as stupid as not been able to drive on stubble. Just nipped in to see a farm I have permission on but he's a bit funny so I rearly shoot it. Asked if I could shoot the rabbits one night during the week. Yes he said after some mumbling and wanted a detailed plan of action. Then said oh if your driving round only drive down the headlands. Not on the stubble. If you go on the stubble I'll go ballistic. *** is all that about

He must be related to one of my farmers :rolleyes:

The reason for not going on the stubbles is either the farmer has direct drilled the next crop of oilseed rape or he intends to cultivate and drill in one pass and doesn't want you to create any compaction. Many farmers now use systems where they only drive tractors/machines along tramlines and do not run on the ground where the crop is growing at all. Re driving on Grass headland margins, that is a total no no. Farms are inspected to ensure environmemtal strips are not being used as tracks and heavy fines can be handed out if rules are broken.

The reason for not going on the stubbles is either the farmer has direct drilled the next crop of oilseed rape or he intends to cultivate and drill in one pass and doesn't want you to create any compaction. Many farmers now use systems where they only drive tractors/machines along tramlines and do not run on the ground where the crop is growing at all. Re driving on Grass headland margins, that is a total no no. Farms are inspected to ensure environmemtal strips are not being used as tracks and heavy fines can be handed out if rules are broken.

yep. totally agree. most of my farms are the same. i have no problem with it.

Perhaps his attitude has something to do with the fact you rarely shoot on his land.

i have to agree with cranfield

we are all guests on the farmers land and if we don't show ourselves until crops are being cut or we try to push our luck then watch out as someone that will respect the farmer and sow up more will take the shooting from under your feet.

This.

Fortunately for me, my main farm is a strong believer in pushing hatchbacks to their absolute limits on stubble and farm tracks. Me getting stuck would make the farmers son's day and towing me out would provide enough ammo to take the **** for at least 5 years. Therefore, the Clio is mostly brown with bits of stubble hanging out of it this time of year. :lol:

FM :)

Cranfield Its a farm split in two by railway lines one side gets shot weekly. The other only gets shot now and then on his say so because he gets daft ideas in his head. And I shoot most of the rabbits on all my permissions at this time of the year. Going out when the crops are up is a waste of my time

and to quote it again as you missed it the last couple of times this is the reason.

If you drive on it you'll be amazed you can see it in the next crop with many of these min tillage drilling approaches. As for headlands yep they are there for various stewardship schemes, they get checked by satellite so farmers can't just do as they want and still claim the money.

Who's hacked off. Again I asked if anyone had heard it before. And what's it about. As for losing the permission I doubt it. I sacked it off shooting out of 4x4 as soon as I entered the gate way. It can wait till I start shooting pheasants over the spaniels. Just that way isn't as effective

My old permission was the same, the reason he gave was there had been a few cases where the cat on the exhaust got so hot it set the stubble alight, in one case leading to a nice new combine getting torched. Sounds unlikely but I guess it may be possible, either way you just got to keep 'em sweet, its his land at the end of the day.

My old permission was the same, the reason he gave was there had been a few cases where the cat on the exhaust got so hot it set the stubble alight, in one case leading to a nice new combine getting torched. Sounds unlikely but I guess it may be possible, either way you just got to keep 'em sweet, its his land at the end of the day.

It is a matter of do what you can; I enjoy driving around the stubble, as this allows me to shoot some areas that are ¾ of a mile from a farm track. If I could get there by foot I would but it is just to far to take the kit for a full days shooting.

I do sympathize with the original post as it does sometimes makes little sense to the shooter the wishes of the farmer.

A lot of the problems arise with so many contract farmers working the land, not so many years ago the man driving the tractor was the one who actually owned the land and was the right person to chat to.

Also with the need to squeeze every pound out of every square foot of land hard choices seem to be made to the despair of the hobby shooter.

Farmers are just people who work their land to make a living, like all of us the go about things is a strange manor sometimes. However it is their land and we are only a guest so long as they say so……..

I walk as far as I can, and shoot as shoot as many times in the week as I am able. This has paid off, as farmers do chat to each other as I have found…..

TEH

it happens our old village policeman did it he had a subaru pickup at the time but sure it was pre cat. He never did live it down but its a rare occurrence, its purely down to minimal cultivations being done to drill the next crop. Headlands are just down to stewardship payments.

To quote alex. Headlands are just down to stewardship payments". Now am I right in believing that you cannot do anything to these areas including driving on them. And if their was tyre tracks down them he would loose the payment and be fined. I never drove down them because I couldn't tell if their would be a big log/rock hiding in the grass

Some farms now do wider head lands so they can still drive on them and i think they can be cut twice a year.

As for the fields,even the tractor has to stick to the wheelings,but i am aloud to go where ever when lamping rabbits in the 4x4,but the farm my mate used to manage where very strict about keeping to the wheelings and what ever you do......do not.....drive on rape stubble,this stuff will cut tractor tyres :oops: