Damaged gun

Gadge-it

My mate has borrowed my sxs and when it came back he blow the barrel,he dropped it into mud and thought he cleaned it all out?? i got it checked out today and they can cut down to 24inches, what your opinions on the lenght of this barrel are they good for anything???

Unless the barrel length is listed on your cert I don't think you need to tell anyone. Barrels must be 24" long measured from the end of the chamber as far as I remember - a gunsmith would be neck deep in **** if he shortened them too much, so I doubt you have to worry.

I tend to stick to my own gun but on the odd occasion I have borrowed someones gun I have done so on the understanding that if I bend it I mend it. I would be asking for a new set of barrels (if they are still avalible) or a replacement gun of the same standard. 24 inch IMO would be a good wall hanger.

Steve

Depends on how you shoot I expect. I use open and improved for everything... A better shot may use tighter chokes but I have had mallard taking off from a pond with 5 shot and the improved barrel. What choke was it before he popped the end?

[/quote

quater/half

I tend to stick to my own gun but on the odd occasion I have borrowed someones gun I have done so on the understanding that if I bend it I mend it. I would be asking for a new set of barrels (if they are still avalible) or a replacement gun of the same standard. 24 inch IMO would be a good wall hanger.

Steve

Hes paid me for the price of the gun, but i was shooting well with it.

Hes paid me for the price of the gun, but i was shooting well with it.

Good on him, trouble is with a fair chunk of metal missing from the barrels the gun will feel different and swing faster. You may find that you prefere the new handling of the gun but one things for sure it wont shoot the same as it used to. If the cost to chop the barrels down is not too bad you may aswell get it done then compare patterns with a 28/30 inch on a pattern plate.

Steve

What gun is it? You might get a set of barrels or similarly swap your wood work onto a different action and barrels depends what it's worth to you 24" cylinder bore is rare for a reason, and might with a cut down stock be good for a youngster!

If a gun is shortened back beyond the choked area it ends up Cy / Cy by default. Such a gun is useful for skeet and close range clays, and in game would have purpose for incoming low driven. Rabbits are heavier clays than normal, and usually want tighter chokes to get enough pellet inertia to guarantee a break. Cy may hole or chip a rabbit clay without breaking it.

The pattern will be a full 30" at around just 20yds, so anything further out will still be in pellet range, but the pattern will be large and dispursed, effectively "spraying" the target all around, but probably failing to break or kill as there will be low density. It usually considered that about 6 pellets are needed to contact the target to break or kill, and at, say, 30yds Cy there will be large gaps in the pattern that may allow the target to fly right through without sufficient pellet contact to break.

There is no re-proofing requirement for cutting back barrels, any gunsmith can chop them for you. Only proviso is that the gun remains inside the definition of sec 2 - that is barrels no shorter than 24".

Edited by clayman

What gun is it? You might get a set of barrels or similarly swap your wood work onto a different action and barrels depends what it's worth to you 24" cylinder bore is rare for a reason, and might with a cut down stock be good for a youngster!

XABARLA SXS SINGLR TRIGGER IT WAS IN GREAT NICK

I have an old Zabala 3" magnum, the previous owner improved the stock finish :rolleyes: Sanded down the action, oh except in any area that needed disasembly (this was also the case during stock improvents). Cut the end to remove any real reseblance of choke then refited the bead (slightly squiffy). I fully stripped it serviced it, sorted a few mecanical failures like re-engagement of the safety after the first barrel got fired . Close over deeks and rabbiting in heavy cover its great and makes a good spare for wildfowling in the real slutchy stuff. I might give it a blast of primer then go over the whole darn thing with a custom mud and slutch paint job. Point is its just a working tool and besides "choke is the work of the devil" :D

I have another :rolleyes: more recent very clean 2 3/4" straight hand stocked Zabala sitting by it in the safe a bought second hand off here 12mnths back, never fired a single shell through it.

I have an old Zabala 3" magnum, the previous owner improved the stock finish :rolleyes: Sanded down the action, oh except in any area that needed disasembly (this was also the case during stock improvents). Cut the end to remove any real reseblance of choke then refited the bead (slightly squiffy). I fully stripped it serviced it, sorted a few mecanical failures like re-engagement of the safety after the first barrel got fired . Close over deeks and rabbiting in heavy cover its great and makes a good spare for wildfowling in the real slutchy stuff. I might give it a blast of primer then go over the whole darn thing with a custom mud and slutch paint job. Point is its just a working tool and besides "choke is the work of the devil" :D

I have another :rolleyes: more recent very clean 2 3/4" straight hand stocked Zabala sitting by it in the safe a bought second hand off here 12mnths back, never fired a single shell through it.

Do you think that the gun would take different stocks off different guns or is the engineering not that good??