Dog food

Gadge-it

About amonth ago i bought a bag of 15kg dog food for £6.50 from a allotment *** the bag was clear with just the label on the top its got 21% protien 9% oil etc,then i thought id have alook at the more expensive stuff to find that its got the same sort of things init,what iam trying to say apart from the packaging whats the difference,my dogs coat is the same they run about the same, WHATS ALL YOUR OPINION,S because iam confused????

About amonth ago i bought a bag of 15kg dog food for £6.50 from a allotment *** the bag was clear with just the label on the top its got 21% protien 9% oil etc,then i thought id have alook at the more expensive stuff to find that its got the same sort of things init,what iam trying to say apart from the packaging whats the difference,my dogs coat is the same they run about the same, WHATS ALL YOUR OPINION,S because iam confused????

Dont be just feed them proper meat instead that way you know what your giving them :good:

The price difference come from the quality of the ingredients. Most cheaper dog foods are made to a final analysis and the ingredients change depending on market fluctuations. Even if it says beef on the tin the majority of the meet can be from another species (or a mix of species).

Better quality foods are made with better quality ingredients and a standard recipe, so each bag is very very similar. Obviously you do pay for brand name and advertising.

Your average adult dog with thrive on any commercial dog food, it's the puppies and the old dogs that benefit from better quality food.

Dont be just feed them proper meat instead that way you know what your giving them

Agreed

Theres no grain in there to bulk out the food and the dogs belly. The dogs teeth are clean from chewing through the bones (no need to line Pedigrees pockets buying dentarask).

And its not expensive to feed.

Ive just filled the freezer with 45kg of chicken wings and about 40kg of chicken carcases for £64. That will feed my three for at least 3 weeks

I feed our dogs Chudleys, ok it is £14 for a 15kg sack, no grain or bulking agents, it is a nice dry kibble so no Dentastix needed. It is not up there in terms of cost with stuff like Wellbeloved etc, but my dogs have superb coats, has stuff in to stop arthritis, it is hypo allerginc, suitable for wheat intolerant dogs, absolutely perfect!

I feed our dogs Chudleys, ok it is £14 for a 15kg sack, no grain or bulking agents, it is a nice dry kibble so no Dentastix needed. It is not up there in terms of cost with stuff like Wellbeloved etc, but my dogs have superb coats, has stuff in to stop arthritis, it is hypo allerginc, suitable for wheat intolerant dogs, absolutely perfect!

+1 that

I give mine Chudleys working crunch and the dogs thrive on it.

I used Hills once for an unwell bitch and it was brilliant for her recovery after and op but would never pay around £50 a sack on a regular basis.

How many chicken wings would you give them every day?

It depends on the dog.

Mine are not gun dogs, they are german shepherds but I can sort of relate it to gun dogs.

My older dog and my bitch are quite chilled so they will eat 3 to 4 wings twice a day. My other dog never stops so he eats at least 6 wings twice a day and is still really lean.

I'd start with 3 a day and if they get fat, drop it down. If they get too thin, add more. You will notice that thier waist is thinner with raw food as they dont have the bulk of dry food. I go with their ribs - If I can see the last two ribs, I am happy. If I can see the third rib I feed more. My active dog started looking thin last week so I'm feeding him 3 carcases, 8 wings or a pound and half of minced meat with veg until he puts a bit of weight on.

Apologies that this is not a clear answer but it is pretty much play it by ear and be aware of how they are looking.

Ive just filled the freezer with 45kg of chicken wings and about 40kg of chicken carcases for £64. That will feed my three for at least 3 weeks

I thought that it was dangerous to feed dogs chicken bones? or is that just the cooked version?

Have always fed mine on Skinners Field and Trial and can't fault it.

Snipe.