choke differance

I shot a woodie a couple of weeks ago with 1/4 choke in the semi at 48 yards. I would not normally take shots at such a distance, but was getting used to new glasses.

If your using a semi 1/4 will do fine. If an o/u, the 1/4 & 1/2 I used Eley HB Pigeon 32 grm 6.5 shot, felt wad.

webber

what is the best choke to use for pigeons at about 40yrds

I have been trying and failing to post a scanned image of choke charts from a gun book, they show that tight chokes only increase your need for accuracy at short range and add very little to your pattern density at range. If you use 30g of 6's or even 32g's you should kill pigeons at 40yds with improved cylinder or quarter choke, I do not see any reason to use more choke!

I want to download the image from my computer, but there is no "Browse" button on this reply tool. I am obviously doing something wrong, but do not know what :good: I will keep trying :good:

Ft

Have now posted the chart in sporting pictures if you are interested, still don't know how to get them on this forum.

Ft

Edited by flytie

Would you be confident to shoot any moving target at that range??

Do you think you can regularly judge 40yds over differing terrain? The lamp posts on the street outside my house are 40yds apart. Telegraph poles are 40yds apart. I try and practice judging distance whenever I am out with the dog and I reckon I get it wrong more times than I get it right. If you want to try it out for yourself, go to a shooting ground that has an electric trap with a 50 m cable that puts out standard clays. Pace out 30 or 35 yds shoot from there then keep moving back and see how much lead you need to give the clay. I think you will be suprised how much it needs. If you can shoot a pigeon/duck at those ranges regularly, you are a very good shot indeed.

Choke can be a very good thing for clay shooting, when edge on clays give a tiny target, but if you are going to shoot game (including pigeons) at varying ranges, too tight a choke will seriously impede your shooting.

Ft

Edited by flytie

If i am shooting birds at 40yds, i want to kill them clean,so my preferred choke combo is 1/2+3/4.

Just because you can knock chips of clays with open chokes,dose not mean they are suitable for game(and pigeons) at long range.

For many years i shot pigeons with a skeet gun,which was ok up to 25yrds, beyond that i was hitting them

but to many runners.

If i am shooting birds at 40yds, i want to kill them clean,so my preferred choke combo is 1/2+3/4.

Just because you can knock chips of clays with open chokes,dose not mean they are suitable for game(and pigeons) at long range.

For many years i shot pigeons with a skeet gun,which was ok up to 25yrds, beyond that i was hitting them

but to many runners.

Chipping clays at 40 yards, not my province I'm afraid, that calls for tight chokes as I said in my previous post.

Are you sure you are shooting at 40 yards? Lot of people claim it, but I'm not sure. If you look at published pellet tables, percentage of pellets in the 30" circle for a given pellet size and at the link to the choke charts I posted it should give you pause for thought about how effective choke really is. Also if you are going out for the day pigeon shooting and you settle on 1/2 & 3/4 your chances of hitting birds that come close is dramatically reduced and if you do hit them they are not going to be fit to eat. But if you are happy and are just pest controlling then fair play to you. I suggest if you are getting runners at 40 yards as you claim then perhaps you are not using a shot size that carries enough energy to kill cleanly at that range. Standard game boring on best english guns is imp cyl & 1/4 for a very good reason, it works.

Ft

its about the number of pellets in the pattern at certain distances. At 40 yards i would use 3/4 choke but yes you need to be more accurate at shorter distances. but 3/4 is a fine choke for me and stops most quarry with clean kills. :lol::good:

its about the number of pellets in the pattern at certain distances. At 40 yards i would use 3/4 choke but yes you need to be more accurate at shorter distances. but 3/4 is a fine choke for me and stops most quarry with clean kills. ;):good:

ears, it's also about the energy retained by the pellet at range, Medium sized birds such as grouse or pigeons need a minimum of (according to Gough Thomas) three pellets having a striking energy of at least 0.85 ft. lb. When you know that on some of the Somerset and Devon high bird shoots (40yds plus) the estates like the guns to use 34g or even 36g of 5's or even 4's through heavily choked guns to give clean kills on pheasants. I think it gives us mere mortals food for thought when we talk of what choke to use on pigeons. There is more to the job than just what choke to use :lol:

Flytie, I was getting more runners with a skeet gun, that is why i changed

and now shoot tighter chokes,which has reduced the amount of runners.

As for shells, Rottweil 32g super trap no7,perfect for the job.

I dont shoot all my pigeons at 40yds,but with this combo i am confident i can when the chance

comes along.

Flytie, I was getting more runners with a skeet gun, that is why i changed

and now shoot tighter chokes,which has reduced the amount of runners.

As for shells, Rottweil 32g super trap no7,perfect for the job.

I dont shoot all my pigeons at 40yds,but with this combo i am confident i can when the chance

comes along.

I take it you do not eat the pigeons you shoot at close range? Ever thought of weighing them in for scrap??

Still if you'r there for crop protection only and it works for you, more power to your trigger finger :good:

Ft

flytie.

Yes i agree there much more to it than what choke we should use. Like practice your shooting at clays and experience in the field over years of shooting will tell you the shots you can and cannot pull off. But at forty yards in the field 3/4 choke still works for me with 32 grams of 5 shot in a plas wad, works well. I have also shot for England in the past at clays and believe me, practice helps and will improve your bag in the field too. Most of it ends up between the ears mate if you know what i mean by that. :good:

flytie.

Yes i agree there much more to it than what choke we should use. Like practice your shooting at clays and experience in the field over years of shooting will tell you the shots you can and cannot pull off. But at forty yards in the field 3/4 choke still works for me with 32 grams of 5 shot in a plas wad, works well. I have also shot for England in the past at clays and believe me, practice helps and will improve your bag in the field too. Most of it ends up between the ears mate if you know what i mean by that. :good:

Ears, I too use 32g of 5's, but obviously having having shot for England you do it at a much higher level than me (bow, scrape and grovel). But my pigeon shooting involves me getting me and the pigeons into shootable range and I still say that using 3/4 choke at closer ranges will limit your bag and make them inedible :huh: If you take all your birds at 40yds the pigeons in your area must be much more cooperative than they are round here, cos the little beggars sneak up on you from all over :huh: :yp:

Ft

Flytie.

The question was what was your preferd choke at 40 yards? not can i blast em so i cannot eat em with 3/4 choke.

If you cannot be bothered to read all the posts, I cannot be bothered to repeat myself.

Love and kisses, Ft

What a load of rubbish choke this choke that. Right What I use is what ever choke is in the gun at that time :yp: If you spend all your time thinking "but what if i'd put this choke in or that choke in" Be honest and ask yourself how many times when you get to the end of the day you make an excuse for choke :lol: Forget about ***** choke and try to consentrate on hitting the target :/ Thats the advice I was once given and it works for me :lol: The last thing you need on a good days sport is to have that nagging thought in the back of your head about choke.

If the question was , what chokes do you use at close range, with a view to eating your quarry,

then flytie you comments would be valid.

I quote "If you cannot be bothered to read all the posts, I cannot be bothered to repeat myself.

Love and kisses, Ft Unquote!!!!!!!!

This was the original question and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Remember, dismissing someone elses opinion, doesn't necessarily make yours right.

Its an opinion.

I would not use anything less than 1/2 choke for birds at 40 yards range, using 30 gms of No 6.

Keep the discussion nice, or the thread will be closed.