eye closed

wayne 200

Wayne,

Welcome to Pigeonwatch, you cross eyed ***.....!!!

Only joking matey, but nobody that I have ever met that can shoot a shotgun well uses only one eye, unless the other has been shot out, as happened to a friend on a partridge shoot in Cyprus...!!

You probably have a master eye problem, i.e. you have a left master eye, but shoot right handed?

Find yourself a good instructor at a local shooting school, who will soon correct the fault - I could advise you where to go if you entered the area in which you live under your profile.

All the best.

i used to shoot with one eye closed when i first started shooting this was because i was left eye dominent the instructer said that i can learn to shoot left handed or close one eye and hope that because i was still young my eye dominece would change to my right which it did and with out realising i started to shoot with both eyes open.

I Dont know if any of you do this but I look at the birds beak or infront of it. I pracice my mount and it seams to work I used to consentrate on the target and the barrells but I always seamed to miss. My mate told me to try it this way so I did Iv only been shooting shotguns a year so I aint that good.

I gess I do shoot with both eyes open but I sometimes find myself closing one eye.

:lol:

bigdave

i do the same i never concentrate on the barrels or on how much lead to give things i just concentrate on the target and my swing.

if people ask me when i am clay shooting how much lead i am giving them i can't tell them because i dont know which is not good as people think i am winding them up.

• 4 weeks later...

:ernyha:

This is a common master eye problem. With an easy solution...

Find a pair of sunglasses, lightly tinted.

Cut a small 1cmx1cm squared peice of sticky tape or a pplaster.

Wear your glasses and mount the gun at a stationary target.

Close your correct eye (not your master eye) place the tape on the lense of your glasses at the point were the bead at the end of the barrel can not be seen.

This allows full vision, upuntil the point of the end of the barrel when shooting. You can track a bird as usual up until the point were you take aim, the plaster malkes your master eye automatically kick in. I garentee this works !

I shoot righthanded and have always closed my left eye (most of the time), when shooting.

Its something I have tried to correct, but its too much of a habit, for me to be bothered.

I shoot as well, if not better than most on live birds and I ain,t too bad on clays.

If the way you shoot suits you and you are hitting the targets, don,t worry about it.

I have seen a lot of good "natural" shooters spoilt by coaches.

However, if you are just starting out and want to learn "properly", find a good coach.

double h quote( but nobody i have ever met that can shoot a shotgun well uses only one eye.) What a load of rubbish never heard such twaddle . there are plenty of good shots that only use one eye. As there are plenty of bad shots that use both. If you call an average of 65 to 85 % on wild duck and pigeon bad id like to see your averages, and those averages are from a man with sight in only one eye, witch happens to be his left and he his r/handed.

:ernyha: :blink: i hit a lot more pigeons with one eye closed i know this goes against all the rules when using a shotgun does anybody else do this

get on of these http://store.yahoo.com/easyhitus-store/hun...untingbead.html from Target Sports of Bolton

486 Halliwell Road

Bolton Lancs

BL1 8AN

England

Phone + 44 1204 496008

Fax + 44 1204 496009

AND THEN KEEP BOTH EYES OPEN.

I'm with you TC ...being a righthanded fella who has to shoot left handed . With a very dominate left eye , so much so my right eye doe's not seem to do any work at all . I have no problem shooting pigeons...well i can still bring em down ..sometimes.

If you are "1 eyed" you adjust your shooting style to compensate this.

(god that looks like a right load of Boll*cks ...no i ain't had a drink...you'll get me drift )

all the best yis yp :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...