.308 or 6.5x55?

Sprags

I would say .308 purely on the basis of ammo availablity. You will find 6.5x55 harder to source. Since most gunshops seem to keep only a bare minimum these days they drive shooters towards the most popular calibres irrespective of personal choice or preferences. The 6.5 would be just as good in every other way.

I very much agree with Vince, unless you reload I think the 6.5 may be harder to find ammo for in the country. I shoot the 308 and with 155gr. Sierras over Varget it will shoot well under.3 @100yds. The 308 is very easy to find a variety of loads for, I prefer the 155-165 gr. bullets to keep the speed up. Either would do the job with ease. The 308 is pleasant to shoot as well.

Disagree with the above, 6.5x55 ammo is available at my local, even though I reload, in 120/140 & 160gn.

I like the 6.5 it drops roe, fallow and reds well and with the mod on it is a wee pussycat. Never used a 308, but it will also do the business also, however some don`t like the felt recoil from them.

I'm surprised you dare ask that question Gray!

I have owned and shot both and definitely favour the 6.5x55.

No problem with sourcing ammo, and as you already reload there is a mahoosive choice of bullets available, and I certainly

found the load dev to be very easy compared to all the other calibers I've loaded for.

95gn VMax for varmints and 140gn Gamekings for deer.....I reckon your .243Ackley will soon be redundant......

I'm surprised you dare ask that question Gray!

I have owned and shot both and definitely favour the 6.5x55.

No problem with sourcing ammo, and as you already reload there is a mahoosive choice of bullets available, and I certainly

found the load dev to be very easy compared to all the other calibers I've loaded for.

95gn VMax for varmints and 140gn Gamekings for deer.....I reckon your .243Ackley will soon be redundant......

Good evening Browning, hope you are well mate.

I am now swaying toward the 6.5, I spoke to Chris yesterday via the power of text messaging and he was of the same opinion as yourself.

As for the ackley, I could never make that redundant, sweet rifle and sweet calibre. ;)

Regards,Sprags

At the usual Deer ranges I don't suppose it matters. I've just got a 7-08 myself but I can't see it being better than the 6.5? It feels nicer to shoot than a .308 which is a good thing, but 7-08 rifles are rare.

I only bought a 7-08 because I found a good deal on the model of rifle I wanted!

Good evening Browning, hope you are well mate.

I am now swaying toward the 6.5, I spoke to Chris yesterday via the power of text messaging and he was of the same opinion as yourself.

As for the ackley, I could never make that redundant, sweet rifle and sweet calibre. ;)

Regards,Sprags

You're very welcome to come down and have a play with my 6.5x55AI Sprags, we could also try and get the French bloke

out with his .308 so you could compare?