a few hour's on the geese this morning!!!

trentotter

I have been biting my tongue but it's starting to bleed so I better let it out.

Steel 3s have 3 ft lbs of energy at 40YARDS*. about the equivalent of lead 5s and you are pounding the geese at 75 yards with them???? Give me a break. I have shot hundreds of geese and think you are either extremely poor at range estimation or have some MAGIC in your gun that quadruples energy.

The sad part is novices read this and buy 3s shoot at geese too far and cripple them by the score. Motty is right, large bird--- large shot, buy a decent rangefinder pattern your gun and know what is achievable. It takes 3-5 pellet strikes at a given range with ample energy to penetrate the vitals, 3-4 lbs of energy is considered ample for large birds at the range intended. Steel BBs have 5.5 lbs at 60yds*. This is basic physics, not wishful thinking. I have killed dozens of birds with "carried pellets" left over from someones careless choice. :no: :no: :no:

*Precision Reloading steel shot reloading manual page 16

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been biting my tongue but it's starting to bleed so I better let it out.

Steel 3s have 3 ft lbs of energy at 40YARDS*. about the equivalent of lead 5s and you are pounding the geese at 75 yards with them???? Give me a break. I have shot hundreds of geese and think you are either extremely poor at range estimation or have some MAGIC in your gun that quadruples energy.

The sad part is novices read this and buy 3s shoot at geese too far and cripple them by the score. Motty is right, large bird--- large shot, buy a decent rangefinder pattern your gun and know what is achievable. It takes 3-5 pellet strikes at a given range with ample energy to penetrate the vitals, 3-4 lbs of energy is considered ample for large birds at the range intended. Steel BBs have 5.5 lbs at 60yds*. This is basic physics, not wishful thinking. I have killed dozens of birds with "carried pellets" left over from someones careless choice. :no: :no: :no:

*Precision Reloading steel shot reloading manual page 16

I am not saying this is aimed at me but......I tend to use lead 42 gram 1's or 3's for decoying or sometimes 50g 1's in lead. This is inland shooting in scotland before anyone asks. My max range is 50 yards.

:good:

I am not saying this is aimed at me but......I tend to use lead 42 gram 1's or 3's for decoying or sometimes 50g 1's in lead. This is inland shooting in scotland before anyone asks. My max range is 50 yards.

:good:

my father-in-law has been shooting geese in scotland for 30+year's and regularly take's down geese at 60 yards with solway magnums lead no 3 50 grammes. dont get me wrong,id sooner shoot them at 30 yards as they come in to the decoy's but if its gunner be the only shot of the day i have the confidence in my ability and faith in the tackle i use to bring em down cleanly at the range's im talking about.....

my father-in-law has been shooting geese in scotland for 30+year's and regularly take's down geese at 60 yards with solway magnums lead no 3 50 grammes. dont get me wrong,id sooner shoot them at 30 yards as they come in to the decoy's but if its gunner be the only shot of the day i have the confidence in my ability and faith in the tackle i use to bring em down cleanly at the range's im talking about.....

I'll buy LEAD 3s at 60 but I'd prefer lead 2s or better yet lead BBs if they were usable. But there is a huge difference between lead 3s and steel 3s energy wise, and I was sure we were talking steel shot. I would ALWAYS rather err on the side of too much energy than too little. :yes:

I'll buy LEAD 3s at 60 but I'd prefer lead 2s or better yet lead BBs if they were usable. But there is a huge difference between lead 3s and steel 3s energy wise, and I was sure we were talking steel shot. I would ALWAYS rather err on the side of too much energy than too little. :yes:

to be honest mate id rather use bb's but i could only get hold of 3's this time.ill be using 63g lead bb's in scotland next month :good: :good: :good:

100 Metri 35gr ( 4 )

100 Metri 35gr ( 4 )

Product Information

100 Metri

very special cartridge that , thanks to the particular technology of a double wad developed from Cheddite, allows to shot the range over the 120m. Ideal for migratory game passing.

Gauge 12

Head Brass (mm.) 20

Case Height (mm.) 70

Primers CX2000

Wad Double

Lead (gr.) 36

Pellet Size 0-2-3-4-5-6-7

Closure Rolled

Box / Case 10/200

* Tell a Friend

Product Code: 100Z47

Price: €19.80

Quantity: Add to Basket

100 Metri 35gr ( 4 )

100 Metri 35gr ( 4 )

Product Information

100 Metri

very special cartridge that , thanks to the particular technology of a double wad developed from Cheddite, allows to shot the range over the 120m. Ideal for migratory game passing.

Gauge 12

Head Brass (mm.) 20

Case Height (mm.) 70

Primers CX2000

Wad Double

Lead (gr.) 36

Pellet Size 0-2-3-4-5-6-7

Closure Rolled

Box / Case 10/200

* Tell a Friend

Product Code: 100Z47

Price: €19.80

Quantity: Add to Basket

thanks mate,the ones im using are no 2 shot!! :good: :good: :good:

it is a long way frenchie,and i dont do it on a regular basis but them 3 1/2 inch carts dont half wollop em!!but i do have some cart's that will bring them down at 100 yards+.... but they are lead so we can't use them :D :D :D .. anyway,les has asked me to ask you ,if you want a go at the geese to let me know and we'll sort something out!!just pm me...

Geese at 75 yards cartridges good at 100 yards ,I think this post should be moved to the playpen before others get the impression that they should be shooting at those ranges :hmm:

From your first post......

... i was using winchester super X 3 1/2 no 3 steel cart's

Then you say.....

guess you've not heard of cheddite extended range cartridges then!!have to be seen to be believed!!

Sorry to say, either you lied in your first post or were trying to get away with shooting illegally and forgot.......or it`s old timers disease. I know what I think.

From your first post......

Then you say.....

Sorry to say, either you lied in your first post or were trying to get away with shooting illegally and forgot.......or it`s old timers disease. I know what I think.

I bet someone is feeling a little :blush: :blush:

it is a long way frenchie,and i dont do it on a regular basis but them 3 1/2 inch carts dont half wollop em!!but i do have some cart's that will bring them down at 100 yards+.... but they are lead so we can't use them :D :D :D .. anyway,les has asked me to ask you ,if you want a go at the geese to let me know and we'll sort something out!!just pm me...

READ THIS POST BEFORE YOU START SLAGGING ANYONE!! SO WIND YOUR NECK IN!!

resd the first post-i was using winchetser super x 3 1/2 no 3 shot.... STEEL SO GET YOUR FACT'S RIGHT!!

I read it and I read the other post, so which did you use? If you used the steel and shot geese at 70 - 100+ then I say you tell porkies. However if you say you used the cheddite, as you do in THIS POST, 100 metri then you were shooting illegally, soooooooo what was it ?