getting rid of fac

welsh warrior

I'd say to just sell the rifles and let the FAC lapse. For the effort you'd go to to send the certificate back and calling to cancel it etc, you'd just be better off tearing it up.

...After you've sold the rifles and got rid of the ammo! The other way round might get you in trouble :rolleyes:

Edited by Billy.

thanks guys :) .. just a thought .. now becuase ive given up my fac on terms of finacial grounds does this mean i wont be able to apply for a fac in years to come ?

Not at all, I gave my FAC and SGC up a couple of years ago, I now have my SGC back and Ive been told since I gave up my FAC volentarily there shouldnt be a problem getting it issued again either.

nutty

ah thats goos to know :) . but i will be trying to sell my rifles today if i can if the shops gives me a tidy price that is lol ..

Why not sell them on here? At least you've got a website with literally thousands of customers, rather than a shop who will just want to give you a lower price and then sell them on for their true value.

Edited by Billy.

Sell the guns and return the ticket to your local constabulary with a covering letter stating that you no longer want to own firearms .

Harnser .

I agree with the above, partly, sell the guns - yes. Return the ticket - No, the reason I say that is that in 6 months or so you may change your mind and want to shoot rifles again.

At least if you have the FAC you can still change your mind with no problems;)

When the FAC does expire just complete the relevent form if you still feel the same and send it to the Police.

Im with the others on this one. Id keep the FAC and just sell the guns. Whats a license cost? £60 every 5 years or something. Its well worth keeping it going if you are planning to get some more firearms in the future. If you give the license up and then have to re-apply its always a longer more drawn out process and you run the risk (whilst maybe a slim one) that its refused.

Selling the guns is straight forward and it does pay to shop about. Some shops do actually give a good price, esp if you wanted to part ex against a shotgun. But typically, the same as with most items in life, you will get a better price trying to sell them separately.

It does all seem a bit odd that you're this keen to shift your guns and licence so quickly. Not in a bad way or anything, but it all seems like a rush decision.

I don't understand what the harm is with just keeping your FAC until it expires. You make it sound more like a gambling addiction, where you just need to cancel the account or you'll keep throwing good money after bad...

I think the key here is the covering letter you send to the police you want to state that you currently do not need to hold fire arms but may wish to own them again in the future. This way you don't have to worry of the cert but you have it logged with them in you FAC file that I suspect they will keep for 'records' after you hand it back that later on you my renew it.

I would just sell the guns and ammo and let it lapse but sending it back won't hurt IMHO

It just ain't worth the hassle of sending in referees who will need to be interviewed, land permissions and checks etc for the sake of the cost of a routine renewal. Only you know if youre ever likely to want FAC again but at the very least let it lapse until last minute renewal before advising that you don't currently have a good reason to hold the ticket.

You won't get a refund so it's no point terminating.

guns are in keens . near bridgend . number is 01656 720807. browing t bolt 17 hmr with scope mod harris bi pod and stock cover all for 450 . the rifle as fired 300 rounds over a year . and my reason for giveing up my fac is becuase i cant keep shooting rifle and shotguns so its to exspensive for me . and im going to stick with shotguns from now on . more easy to buy swap sell etc less hassle than a fac :good:

and my reason for giveing up my fac is becuase i cant keep shooting rifle and shotguns so its to exspensive for me .

Not that you really need to justify why you're getting rid of them, I am still scratching my head over this. I would understand if this was a car, which would cost you insurance the longer you have it... However, rifles and licences which aren't in use, don't cost you more money as time goes by.