What Do Rats Eat That Cats DONT

RoBBo

i know there is rats somewhere on the land i shoot on but everytime i put some bait down like bits of meat ect or other things next doors ******* cat comes and eats it ALL what can i put down that will really attract rats BUT will make the cat look elsewhere

Hi RoBBo,

I used to bait rats with mashed potato, i dont think that the cats will be to interesed in that.

It has the advantage of not being able to be carried of by the rats as with other baits so they just sit there

and scoff on the mash main course before getting there pellet pudding :good:

Hi robbo

What you could do is ask your neibour to lock their cats in the house, i do this when i am shooting because A- i dont want to shoot the cat by accident eg a riccocet B- I dont want the cats to get attracted by bait.

Whatever you do make sure you are safe and always think about where the pellet is going to go before taking a shot.

will you find rats/ lure them into your back garden at night or will u only find them on farms ect

Why would you want to lure rats into your own garden,If next door has them or anybody else has them let them keep them and offer to eliminate them on their land.Dont make sense bringin vermin close to your own dwelling.Or have i Missed somthing :good:

hi m8, i have had the same problem over the past and now i just use liquidised sweetcorn, best is catfood but becouse of the obviouse :good:

i have been using grain for the past few months and the rats like this, and the cats dont touch it.

but you have to be quick using a bait like this as they just pick it up and run straight of not giving you enough time to give them a lead vitamin pill :good:

I did alot of ratting last summer when I didn't want to travel too far and the local timber yard was just up the road. Altogether we dispatched around 60 of them, the bait that worked the best was ordinary white bread broken into 1cm sized pieces and left in a pile, we did try larger bits but found the rats would swipe a bit and ****** off for ages but with the small bits they kept returning for more so increasing the time spent in the crosshairs. :good:

Partially burnt toast (burnt not incinerated) with peanut butter on it. Works a treat.

However, as above, I would think twice before considering drawing rats onto or have them running through your land. If rats think there is a permanent food source available they will move nearer to the food source (they will move in). Rats are also very determined. Heavy baiting rats for only a couple of hours shooting at the weekend will end in tears.

will you find rats/ lure them into your back garden at night or will u only find them on farms ect

It is said that in the UK you are never more than 10 feet from a rat. How true that statement is I shudder to think but you surely don't want to lure them into your garden :o .

The best way I have found to bait rats is with CRUNCHY peanut butter (they can't pick it up and run away :) ....and they love it). Just spread it on the ground or a brick regularly for about a week to get them used to it and then shoot over it. If you're shooting at night then put a red light on every night during your baiting period and they soon get used to that as well.

My best night so far is 11 rats in three hours over one brick covered in peanut butter.

Good hunting :yes::yes:

P03

It is said that in the UK you are never more than 10 feet from a rat. How true that statement is I shudder to think but you surely don't want to lure them into your garden :o .

The best way I have found to bait rats is with CRUNCHY peanut butter (they can't pick it up and run away :huh: ....and they love it). Just spread it on the ground or a brick regularly for about a week to get them used to it and then shoot over it. If you're shooting at night then put a red light on every night during your baiting period and they soon get used to that as well.

My best night so far is 11 rats in three hours over one brick covered in peanut butter.

Good hunting :huh: :yp:

P03

:o **** that! :o i'm not giving the rats MY food, i'll be eating that while i'm waiting. try small pieces of stale bread in milk, leave that in a dish & wait for the flocks! (but beware of hedgehogs & cats) :good: