Bright Orange Pigeon Hides

CrapShot

Gents,

This morning on the way to work i read this months copy of the Sporting Gun and in the questions and answers section there was a pic of a guy shooting from a bright orange hide made out of that stuff you see around roadworks. I read the comments below and true enough there was a guy suggesting that they make very good hides as the birds are almost colour blind they just see them as a light shade of grey.

I have never heard of this before and would be most interested to year your views on this.

Crapshot

It is reacognised that deer are coulerblind, they see movement. However it is obvious when a differnet shade of couler is seen moving, thats why cammo is used. But I see your point, the American stalkers spend alot of money on real tree, but insome places have to wear blaze orange over the top :lol:

Yes Cranfield has a very good point, as always,when these bull fighters wave their red cloth about, the bull does not see red but just see black and white.they see the edge of the cloth moving and thats what makes them charge(the image is not sharp though like a b+w phot but more like a virtual kind of computerised view).Done it in Bio lessons.

i agree aswell about the camo, it makes me feel that bit more like a hunter should be, moulding stealthely into his her surroundings

I don't personally think all animals are colour blind, otherwise why are some so pretty? Why are duck colourful?

I have seen hides made from fertilizer bags,pigeon feeding next to scarecrows or bags blowing in the wind.

If they are used to it,they don't give a stuff.I do ,however think pigeons are colour blind and therefore they ignore some colours and shades.

Perhaps we should all try it.I did wear a light blue shirt in the hide and they didn't like that at all!!Farma

No i don't believe all animals are colour blind, for instance i am a showjumper and i don't believe my horses are colour blind(they might be but i don't think so) and i have jumped more colourful things than the rainbow, for instance aboard i have jumped Audi fences(red,shiny silver,black and white) with all sorts of colours and big yellow and blue zangasheide fences v. colourful.i have had horses that only stop at certain colour fences and this makes me believe that they perhaps aren't colour blind.

But if all animals are why are cheetahs the colour of the dry grassland because it wouldnt matter an awful lot if they were a different colour!

phew,i don't think any off that made sense but...

I firmly believe that birds DO see colours...otherwise, why is it that the brightest/boldest coloured male birds always attract more females?....why do the wattles on a cock pheasant increase massively in size and depth of colour in the breeding season?

They may see colour differently to us, but see it they do.

http://www.pion.co.uk/perception/19ecvp/p0803.html

:lol:

:lol: Hi well i think a lot of people just like dressing up like army guys and who am i to say any diffrent :lol: but the Yanks take things to extrems in every thing they do! IF you think that its dafft having to put camo kit on ,and then puting a red vest on .thats nothing! thats what we had to do in the Army to stop the guys shooting at are tanks :lol: spending millions of £ on camo paint and then having to put a bright red flag on top so you dont get blown up :lol::lol:

Guest flightline
No i don't believe all animals are colour blind, for instance i am a showjumper and i don't believe my horses are colour blind(they might be but i don't think so) and i have jumped more colourful things than the rainbow, for instance aboard i have jumped Audi fences(red,shiny silver,black and white) with all sorts of colours and big yellow and blue zangasheide fences v. colourful.i have had horses that only stop at certain colour fences and this makes me believe that they perhaps aren't colour blind.

But if all animals are why are cheetahs the colour of the dry grassland because it wouldnt matter an awful lot if they were a different colour!

phew,i don't think any off that made sense but...

Perhaps this is an adaptation to the cheetah`s only real enemy-man-who is not colourblind, mostly.

Yes i agree flightline but this is jst general stuff i churning out from my bio lessons, its also supposed to be for blending in though according to what i've been taught.But yes i see where your coming from.

Basically the way i see things is that some things are colour blind and others are not! sorted.

I expect most predators are not colour blind though.

I've found out that humans have Trichromatic or 3-D vision, this means that basically our vision is controled by 3 types of photoreceptors in the retina, each seeing blue,green and red colour, similar to the format of a colour tv. Birds see U.V. light and have four types of photoreceptors making them see colour in a totally diferant way to us, they are more sensitive to conrtasts. Some hues that stand out to us look similar to birds. ;)

I have by chance inherited a lorry load of this revolutionary new orange camo netting, and am now preparing to flood the market with same. To avoid disappointment, get your order in now. One metre high, cut to your requirements, a tenner a metre. Bargain.

You lot can ponce about in your multi-colour hides and yellow wellies as much as you like,but its natural cammo for me. Even the horizontal stripes of a zebra is actually superb cammo in their own environment. Are humans really that smug to think that only we can distinguish between colours?.