9's shot size

griff83

going to wortley on Sunday (English sporting ) and have run out of 7.5 shot carts but have 100 no9 Eley first? are these any good as i have always shot 7.5 but that is only because with iv been told

could some one explain the whole shot size thing to me as i am very confused after some research :hmm:

any help will be greatly appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Griff,

Easy really, the bigger the shot size means more lead balls, but of a smaller size. So 7.5 means about 350, 8 means about 420 and 9 means about 500ish

Remember the cartridge case size never changes so something has to give, hence as you go to a higher shot size and the individual pieces of lead get smaller you can get more in the casing.

Trouble is the smaller the lead balls get the less range they have. So 9's are generally only used for close birds or Skeet were you need to get a big spread of lead balls out there fast. I use Eley Firsts 7.5's for general shooting and carry a few 9's so if you get to the stand and find that you'll need to shoot the bird up close, say less than 20 meters. I'm a bit of a novice myself, so it doesn't always work. To be honest I've tried lots of differant cartridges and played about with chokes but as a newbie I don't think it makes much differance. Don't waste your money on expensive carts mate, not worth it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Happy shooting!

Tomotopgun

going to wortley on Sunday (English sporting ) and have run out of 7.5 shot carts but have 100 no9 Eley first? are these any good as i have always shot 7.5 but that is only because with iv been told

could some one explain the whole shot size thing to me as i am very confused after some research :hmm:

any help will be greatly appreciated

With all due respect you DO NOT run out of your favoured cart before a shoot!

GENERALISATION!

9 is a Skeet cart!

7.5 or 8 are generally used on Clays for most other disciplines!

No doubt carts will be available at the shoot/ground, may I suggest you have a word with them!

:good:

Shoot the 9s mate, will be fine for 99% of sporting birds

I wholeheartedly concur with the above advise, any misses will almost certainly because you either haven't been to a competent coach, your gun doesn't fit, you're not pointing the gun in the right direction or a thousand and one other reasons.

Unless you are at that increasingly rare shoot that shows 40 yard + edge on clays your 9's (in practice if not theory) will certainly have the striking energy to break clays.

Mr Potter

• 3 weeks later...

I wholeheartedly concur with the above advise, any misses will almost certainly because you either haven't been to a competent coach, your gun doesn't fit, you're not pointing the gun in the right direction or a thousand and one other reasons.

Unless you are at that increasingly rare shoot that shows 40 yard + edge on clays your 9's (in practice if not theory) will certainly have the striking energy to break clays.

Mr Potter

For clays I always use fibre wad 21g 8's, although I do shoot 3/4 and full, but others shoot with more open chokes and we haven't found a clay they won't break, and they are cheaper too. I don't see any point in spending loads of money on cartridges for general clay shooting. Seen loads of folks blame their cartridge but in reality they just miss.

• 2 months later...

I was once shooting at Grimsthorpe with a mate who shot more 9's than any other shot size,through a lot of choke,and I always used to say to him at the end of every shoot "How many Trap Cartridges have you used today then Andy ?"

His reply was "Four"

That was in the early 90's and that got me shooting 9's.....And 9 1/2's when you could get them :lol::good:

Azzurri

He also used to win high gun most weeks and has shot for

England !

Ps I can sort him at golf though

Last time I played Golf with him he pulled a Rangefinder out :o :lol: :lol:

I think he knew exactly how far a 'Skeet Cartridge' would kill a clay,used to make me laugh when people raised their eyebrows,they didn't believe it was a 9 even though it was written on the case :lol: :lol:

Azzurri

Last time I played Golf with him he pulled a Rangefinder out :o :lol: :lol:

I think he knew exactly how far a 'Skeet Cartridge' would kill a clay,used to make me laugh when people raised their eyebrows,they didn't believe it was a 9 even though it was written on the case :lol: :lol:

Azzurri

He was holding a 6 upside down <_<

Edited by Chard

depends on what I have in stock to be fair but I get through lots of 9s, as said they reach a long way through a good tight choke. Usually I have 9s and 7s but 8s and 7s if thats whats in my boot! through a tight 3/4 youve got to be a lot better than anyone I know to tell the difference unless on rabbits or mega edge on crossers.

Use 9 for skeet and 7.5 for everything else. One visit to the clay ground I was shooting well until I realised I have put 9s in the cartridge bag and not 7.5s (Hull 21 gram only difference is the number on the cartridge). After that I couldnt hit a thing and this was shooting stuff I had been hitting well before :blush: . So much of shooting is in the mind :blink:

On the choke front I use 1/4 and 3/8 for everything sometimes using skeet and cylinder for skeet.