The closest thing we have...

Mike Connally

I thought I would throw out a photo of a bag of doves. I assume it's pretty close to your pigeon shooting. We stake out a harvested grain field and pass shoot the doves when they come in to feed. If the hunters are positioned correctly we can move a flock around by bouncing it off the shooters, instead of having it just fly away after the first shots. There is a 15 bird limit. Dove shooting is normally a social affair with a barbeque lunch thrown in and a lot of good natured ribbing over missed shots.

009_9.jpg

After the shoot my son and a friend came home and threw the dove breasts on the barbecue and had a grand meal. The two chicken breasts were for my wife. She normally won't eat wild game.

160.jpg

This activity is what we would call shooting. When I walk the fields and woods with a pointing dog....that is hunting.

:drool::drool::drool: buddy can a come to your house for dinner am getting hungry just looking at that sounds like a good day out to me why only limited to 15 are they in short supply or sumit :blink:

atb andy

There are many millions of doves, but doves are considered a game bird in the States. All game has daily and sometimes season bag limits. Excessive bags are frowned on. Most hunters are brought up to eat what they shoot and not kill excessively. The American hunting tradition descends from subsistence hunting. Shooting "just enough" is traditional. We look down on game hogs. The joy is in the hunt....not the kill.

This is a pic of me and my setter Joy. A day in the field with her is all I need. The bag is secondary.

4519152137_6f3cdd8ef6.jpg

Edited by Mike Connally

That looks great. What way did you cook the doves? I watched an American shooting DVD once and they suggested spliting the breast in half and putting a Jalapeno Pepper in the middle.

That's exactly what we did. I also put a slice of pepper cheese on top and wrapped it all with bacon. Delicious!

That sounds seriously good. I'll be giving it a go next year when BBQ season comes back round.