calling on .308 users

I've just started using Sako 123 gn SP gameheads for roe and fox. (In fact they drop Sika just as cleanly). I discovered my rifle liked them during a target session with a mate and at £26 for 20 its hardly worth loading them.

Saves the hassle of a seperate load and zero for two species. Fast, excellent energy transfer, accurate and cheap. They'll do me till I next get the urge to experiment.

Hi Guys

looking at a load for dear and fox, i don't like to heavy a bullet so im just asking what you guys may be running.

thank you

bob.

Bob

a fox wont mind what you shoot it with but a deer may,if you use a too lighter bullet on deer you may get too much meat damage,also if you use the wrong type of bullet you may get runners

my inital bullet choice would be one that will humanley drop deer and then worry about foxes after.

a 130to 150 gr bonded core bullet will do all you ask of it,pnly problem you may get if a fox is sat a good waay away you may have a lot of drop but you cant do everything with one rifle but we all know how tight you are too buy two

as long as you know your drops and dont go stupid at night you wont have a problem

just one question why a 308 ???

Hi Guys

looking at a load for dear and fox, i don't like to heavy a bullet so im just asking what you guys may be running.

thank you

bob.

This is always a hard one, especially so with a 30 cal. Any bullet thats good for deer will punch through a broadside shot on a fox. Ok it will die but if it don't strike bone you will get a .30 hole in and a .30 hole out with less energy imparted in the middle than you might think. The best solution is shoot them in the head or lengthwise. Like i say any shot from a 308 will be lethal unless its a a bit of a clip it just depends on how quick you want them all to go down. If you fing you make a good shot into the cavity and the fox drops then gets up and runs this is presisely what just happened, without a dog dont expect to find them all but they will all be dead someplace

thank you lads.

most interesting reading, and i will pay attention to all the comments.

Ackley (pete)

i have just sold my savage as i will not be target shooting anymore and i fancy having a 308 as well as the 243 for deer + fox, so it will come out to play from time to time and for those longer shooting areas we need to cover.

i'm stalking in the morning trying to collect 2 fallow does for the chiller.

bob.

hope all's well Pete and thing are going well with the reworking of brass.

I have only shot 3 fox's with .30 all with 150gr SST all but one needed a 2nd but that was while driven boar shooting. The others were a mess :yes: both shoulder shots so as Kent mentioned they may need to hit something other than soft flesh to impart enough damage for that instant kill your after :good:

My Remmy soots Vmax 110 a treat and various deer heavier bullets good. I can not recomend the 110grn for deer but for fox and other they are a good safe bullet. Pretty flat too.

I only have a SPS tactical and once the fouling bolt handle was noticed touching the stock and fixed it shoots most loads close enough to not warrant scope adjustment with the exception of the rabbit load, 18gr of H4227 under a 170 Speer 30/30 bullet (shoots low only).

Good luck.

U.

I use 125grn SGK with H4895 most of the time.

They group very well and have stopped everything from rabbits to Sika first time, with limited meat damage.

They do expand, but they retain most of their weight, unless they hit a thick bone.

I did use 110grn Hornady 3010, but they expanded dramatically, no matter where they hit, so I stopped using them on deer.