Hernia Operation.

bullet boy

I had an inguinal hernia repaired about 8 years ago with open surgery and it was a fairly painful procedure due to the stomach muscles being damaged although it's fast healing, I was left with a horrendous scar but I think that was down to the surgeon... :rolleyes:

As said the procedure was painful but not as painful as when I used to have a third ******* appear every time I did anything strenuous before I had it repaired :blink:

I was also told that as I have had one side dine it is highly likely the other side will need done at some point in later life.

Well I've got a date of Dec 5th for my double hernia operation.

Anyone had one and what advice can you give me please?

Many thanks.

I had a double inguinal hernia (open) done in February this year, I was back working after four days (self employed) The day after the opp I was forcing myself to walk up and down my drive and just kept pushing through the pain. The worst thing for the first few days was taking a dump cos you just can't push :no::no: :o

It's well worth having done and there's nothing to worry about. :good:

Forgot about the sneezing, coughing and dumping...:lol:

I also had 110 ml of fluid removed from my ball sack due to over doing it so I would definitely say don't try to force yourself to walk, take time to let it heal properly...

The needle they stuck in my sack felt like a petrol pump handle...:blink:

Had one done more than thirty years ago. Excruciatingly sore at first, but I later found out that you're supposed to be offered pain relief when you come round from the anaesthetic...

I was just left gritting my teeth and exploring every swear-word in the English language.

Was in hospital for seven days, then off work for four weeks. I suppose I could have gone back earlier - but it was December, and I was out with the gun three days after I was discharged.

Jumping ditches and climbing over rocks on the foreshore made my eyes water a bit, but all in all I'm sure it helped my recovery.

I had a double done by keyhole a couple of years ago . The surgeon caught an artery on the way out . Had to stay in overnight to monitor internal bleeding . All the blood drained into my balls . Which then along with my tackle turned jet black and 4 times the size . My wife renamed me denzil

I had to carry my nuts around for about 2 weeks they were that sore .

Don't let all these horror stories put you off . You obviously need them sorting

Good luck

BB - needle in the ball sack :lol::lol: high currumba.

Let me know the hospital You are going to be laid up in - while your confined I can put on my collection of Cantona goals or maybe captains log (steve Bruce) - stash the remote, you will soon forget the op' :lol:

All the best mate, You will be back on your feet in no time :good:

Unlike some of the others mine went quite well - The Op itself was a doddle - about 4" cut on right side but when i woke up the pain in my right leg at top was unbelievable - later I noticed a small red dot - They gave me a pain killing injection into my thigh. - hell that hurt for a day or two - after that no problems - as said - best thing I have had done other than carple tunnels..

Get it done worth every minute of bit of pain.

Best bit was when Doc came in to inspect !! She was 5ft nothing - cough please - Ahhh yes soon get that gone -- one other tip shave yourself before you go in otherwise some big hairy nurse will do it for you. :good: :good: - or a limp wrister

Dave

one other tip shave yourself before you go in otherwise some big hairy nurse will do it for you. :good: :good: - or a limp wrister

Dave

+ 1 with that , had a really fit nurse with lovely guns ask me if had shaved my n*** or not when i had mine done , thinking she would come back and do it , but to my horror a different nurse came back rubbing her shovel size hands together with a weird kind of grin on her face saying right then lets get you shaved up :o :o :no:

I had a hernia operation about twenty years ago on day surgery.Normal surgery but I had an epidural not a full anaesthetic so I was awake for the procedure although you couldn't see what was going on.The surgeon was chatting to me for the duration.

As soon as I could pee they sent me home with the advice to walk as much as was comfortable and not stay sitting down for long periods.

The only discomfort was the itching from the short hairs growing back!!

I was off work for six weeks and then on light duties for another two.

Enjoy!!

Vic.

+ 1 with that , had a really fit nurse with lovely guns ask me if had shaved my n*** or not when i had mine done , thinking she would come back and do it , but to my horror a different nurse came back rubbing her shovel size hands together with a weird kind of grin on her face saying right then lets get you shaved up :o :o :no:

My shave was done after the anaesthetic, knew nothing about it till I got home. :good:

Must have been lucky :hmm: , my pain threshold is so low I would offer info to my captors even if they weren't interested. I had keyhole hernia surgery in 93, kept in for 2 days and apart from bloated pain the first day, only really had to contend with a week off work, and that was only because I couldn't drive. For weeks afterwards I kept receiving payment advice slips varying from £150 for the initial 10 minute visit to the £2500 approx total cost. Luckily happened to be on private works Bupa :lol: .

mmmmm interested in this thread,had an earnia(self diagnosed) for about 10 years now,its gradually got bigger over the years,bout size of golf ball now maybe a bit smaller,dosent really hurt a lot,just looks silly when naked lol.have thought about going to docs about it,but dont do doctors or needles. do they do these ops whilst awake?? or under? really need to get it sorted just in case something else goes wrong,but not brave enough to even go to docs . :yp:

BB - needle in the ball sack :lol::lol: high currumba.

Let me know the hospital You are going to be laid up in - while your confined I can put on my collection of Cantona goals or maybe captains log (steve Bruce) - stash the remote, you will soon forget the op' :lol:

All the best mate, You will be back on your feet in no time :good:

Thankyou my good friend DF!

had mine done in feb last year. i was worried like you are now. I couldnt work for about 6 months before hand, as walking for more than ten minutes left me in agony. I went in and had it done in the morning, and when i woke up, i thought i had been shot i was in that much pain. They medicated me, and all was good. Ive a 1 inch scar under my belly button, and a small one on either side where the probes go in. I took two weeks off work afterwards, and all is fine now. If i sit a certain way, i can feel the patch in my groin. :sick: dont worry about it though, as you will thank yourself for getting it sorted.

As for the shaving thing :lol: Well, the nice nurse shaved a small area on my stomach, and i thought "well, this aint too bad!". When i woke up, i had been shaved from navel to knackers :o

I had an open hernia repair about 3 years ago. On coming round from the anesthetic the doctor asked how I was feeling, to which I replied 'like i've been kicked by a bloody shire horse!' The surgeon then said it was quite a large hernia. I was in overnight and the following morning I was dancing around like Fred Astair. I was given strict orders to rest and not to lift anything for 12 weeks :o and I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks. After about 5 days I was walking for 15 minutes to stables and back again. the worst part was when the staples were starting to pull as the skin was healing.

The hardest part was not being able lift anything to help out, and just having to stand and watch. I was off work 11 weeks as I'm classed as working in a safety critical role so used the time to get myself up to speed by walking and slowly building up the time and distance till I was walking for an hour and about 3-4 miles.

I did get the odd twinge for the first year but it served as more a reminder than anything else.

I just wished I had got it sorted sooner rather than leaving it too long as the recovery would have been quicker. I don't rag myself around like I used to (as much due to getting older and wiser than anything else) but I feel like I'm back to pre hernia fitness.

Hope it goes well and take the advice from the doctors seriously and you should make a full recovery.

mmmmm interested in this thread,had an earnia(self diagnosed) for about 10 years now,its gradually got bigger over the years,bout size of golf ball now maybe a bit smaller,dosent really hurt a lot,just looks silly when naked lol.have thought about going to docs about it,but dont do doctors or needles. do they do these ops whilst awake?? or under? really need to get it sorted just in case something else goes wrong,but not brave enough to even go to docs . :yp:

Do yourself a favour mate. Being scared is better than being dead! Its not as bad as it sounds, but this is:

http://www.groinhernia.net/index.php/en/what-is-hernia/strangulated-hernia.html