Stirring up a hornets nest?

CZ550Kevlar

I know this will be stirring up a hornets nest but hey what the hell.

What are peoples views on the strike and how is it going to cause you a problem?

Personally i found out today my daughters teacher is on strike and yet to find out if the whole school is closed which is a particular interest to me as i`m running for school governor and will severely affect my opinion of the school.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a liberal party table in a town near me the other day shouting about how they need to stop cuts to our local hospital.

I know its bad to be doing it but at the end of the day you can't spend money we don't have. I think some people need to take a long hard look at the mess we are really in! European countries are on the brink or have gone bust and we're trying to save others from going the same way!

I think everyone has got comfortable on money we don't have and now we are seeing the consequences of all that! Worse thing is I can't see things getting better for a long time!

I have some sympathy with those who are the 'workers' in local government but these are hard times and many will have no pension, come retirement.

So little or no sympathy for a strike.

Local government workers do, in part, take jobs in LG for the pension. I think a better approach by the Gov would have been to cut pensions for new starters, I'm sure we are beyond that limit financially so we all have to take some of the pain.

Is it too much and are they an easy target? I'd be happier if there was a vigorous push to get back some of the losses the Treasury suffers due to tax aviodance/evasion.

Waste of time, will just **** off everyone else who has lost jobs, pensions, perks etc. and then will lose a days pay to look after the kids stuck at home :angry:

I have to agree. As a retired Nurse, I didn't strike In the 70's and wouldnt now. The pay is fair and yes it will mean an effective drop in pension, but striking should always be the last resort of real hardship, not for this. The problem is the old Marxist union bosses are still there from the 70's, they are on £100K + salaries and lose nothing for striking, they don't give a toss for their members as long as the dues come in, they will stir trouble. Everyone is having ti tighten their belts, the time to negotiate for pay rises is when the economy is stable and strong,not in mid-recession.

I'm not a fan of industrial action. If your jobs **** either leave it or learn to love it, don't bleat on about it.

Are you a member of a Union?

Scenario: You get sacked for some shocking reason. Its just yuor company trying it on. Your Union says they will strike until they get your job back for you. You have been shafted well and truly, but you know you have not done ANYTHING wrong. Do you still think your not a fan of industrial action? Heres a tip, dont EVER work for a non unionised company.

My lad's school sent us a note or email, explaining that they were in a bit of a difficult situation, because there was no way that they could tell exactly how many of these ******* teachers were going to show up, if any. They couldn't risk an elf 'n safety situation with insufficient staff/pupil ratios so they reluctantly had to close the school.

So we were happy with the communication effort from the school but the teachers can go **** themselves. <_<

My pension is ******, but they want me to pay for theirs. :sly: **** off <_<

Cuts have to be made because the economy is ###. So lets all go on strike and **** the economy even further. Dolts.

I notice that every time it is pointed out that they are still going to be better off than private sector workers they cannot disagree but try to make out that they are doing this to help all of us to get to their level of wage / pension. Nice idea but none of them can answer the fundamental question...WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM?

I have to agree. As a retired Nurse, I didn't strike In the 70's and wouldnt now. The pay is fair and yes it will mean an effective drop in pension, but striking should always be the last resort of real hardship, not for this. The problem is the old Marxist union bosses are still there from the 70's, they are on £100K + salaries and lose nothing for striking, they don't give a toss for their members as long as the dues come in, they will stir trouble. Everyone is having ti tighten their belts, the time to negotiate for pay rises is when the economy is stable and strong,not in mid-recession.

Im not one to make things personal on this forum, so i wont do it now as your one of the chaps on here i do respect, but do you not think this is a last resort? Hardship is here and its about time people stood up to whatever government is in power. I dont want to get to retierment age, and find the money ive been paying in for 30 years has gone.

In fact, I used to work a Saturday/holiday job for the council. The union members striked and I crossed the picket line to keep the service running for the public (with a handful of others). Both sides happy, they got there point across and the public still got what they needed.

This time, I disagree completely, they're about to go through the same pain the private sector already has. Get on with it. Or find another job. Sorry blunt but true.

The only thing I would change ring now is benefits and a culture of fake claiming, I bet I could find them all jobs cleaning rubbish off the street to 'earn' there benefits. they'd then be in a working habit and be more employable to get a proper wage.

I've never been in a union, and I'm 48...can't say I've ever needed one either! Been sacked for no reason, just told them where to go and walked off, I've had **** jobs, so again walked off. Due to this, I've been self employed for years, and I haven't got ANY pension or savings as such, because I need all the money I earn for today. Civil servants etc. have an easy life and now they are beginning to get a big reality check :yes:

Totally idiotic - absolutely NOTHING to be gained - but a lot to loose - those union leaders are not of this world !!

Ill just put that down to friday night pissedness! I dont want to qoute youm but trust me, you are talking nonsense. These people are seriously devoted to what they do. You obviously have very little experience of Union activities. I DO!! I know what goes onm and i know how hard these **** work to fight the fight for their members. Dont be fooled into thinking it wont get you anywhere to voice your opinions, as its the other way around!!

Ill just put that down to friday night pissedness! I dont want to qoute youm but trust me, you are talking nonsense. These people are seriously devoted to what they do. You obviously have very little experience of Union activities. I DO!! I know what goes onm and i know how hard these **** work to fight the fight for their members. Dont be fooled into thinking it wont get you anywhere to voice your opinions, as its the other way around!!

I believe they work and fight hard for the, but their reality and perspective is not the same as the worker in the private sector who lost many of these privileges a number of years ago.

Are you a member of a Union?

Scenario: You get sacked for some shocking reason. Its just yuor company trying it on. Your Union says they will strike until they get your job back for you. You have been shafted well and truly, but you know you have not done ANYTHING wrong. Do you still think your not a fan of industrial action? Heres a tip, dont EVER work for a non unionised company.

The 70's have gone comrade, we have employment laws now :good: and yes i've worked for unionised companies, never again!

I've never been in a union, and I'm 48...can't say I've ever needed one either! Been sacked for no reason, just told them where to go and walked off, I've had **** jobs, so again walked off. Due to this, I've been self employed for years, and I haven't got ANY pension or savings as such, because I need all the money I earn for today. Civil servants etc. have an easy life and now they are beginning to get a big reality check :yes:

Ok, You have never been in a union, and you have never needed one? REALLY??? You have been sacked for no reason. You didnt bother to fill an ET1/2 form in then?

You dont have ANY PENSION??? So, the tax that I and others are paying is what is going to be used to wipe your arese once you have had a stroke and cant rmember your own name. Civil servants have an easy life? HOW?? Where did you deduce this from? Have you seen evaluated evidence? I really would love to see the figures on this.

I don`t agree with the strikes but i suppose that if someone was trying to strip my pension away i wouldn`t be to overjoyed about it either.

Public sector workers are a law unto their selves.

So your a hypocrite? (dont mean that in a nasty way) You really mean that you do sympathise with their cause, but are unsure of your emotions about it.

I believe they work and fight hard for the, but their reality and perspective is not the same as the worker in the private sector who lost many of these privileges a number of years ago.

I think your just confused like an Emo chick. :good:

The 70's have gone comrade, we have employment laws now :good: and yes i've worked for unionised companies, never again!

The 70's never left us, we just changed our haircuts. Employment laws have been introduced to protect either side, and have cancelled each other out. At the end of the day, action speaks louder than ********!

cheguevara.jpg

FIGHT THE POWER DUDES!!

Edited by MM

Does no one feel that the offer the government put forward two weeks ago was a fair deal?

Even the unions seemed to suggest it was going in the right direction and portions of it were acceptable.

But, they seemed to object to the increase in donations of 3.2% as this is a pay cut.

For me this was the best offer they were going to get, by striking all that is going to happen is the government will dig their heels in and say **** you!

Striking has never achieved anything except increased redundancy,quicker closures and a worse settlement. Union leaders live in a bubble justifying their own existence. Oh and of course on huge pay packets and fantastic expense accounts!

Oh, also, how the **** can then justify these strikes.. Turnout seems to be less than 30% in most cases and vote for strike is around 60%... Do the math, most haven't voted for action and select apathy instead.

That's democracy!

Edited by Spiderdude