Stirring up a hornets nest?

CZ550Kevlar

It seems to me that instead of entrenched views on either side we would benefit from a collective view that we will all have a better future if the country recovers, produces and is able to improve everyones quality of life from either more jobs, increased wages and tax revenues to spend.

What is unhelpful is a lack of understanding displayed by ANYONE who feels they are a 'special case' or more deserving whether they are bank executives, chief executives in local government and private or public companies.

A sense of collective responsibility and collective restraint is essential - strike's are a very selfish weapon, designed to make one sector of the workforce a special case, nobody is a special case but, because we all benefit, hard work brings its just rewards.

Whilst on PW bad mouthing people is taken very often in a different context to 'normal life' there are also times when, even here, we need to be fairer to different perspectives and maybe not so sure we each have 'the eternal truth' on all matters.

Just a personal perspective.

Edited by Kes

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

totally agree, you know what the conditions are BEFORE you start working,IF you DON'T like it ,then don't take it.

Industrial action (strikes) NEVER do any good,just cost the taxpayer more money and wasted time. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Alan :angry:

They did know the conditions when they signed up, they are been changed now!

My wife has thought long and hard about it and is going to strike, but she said no more after this.

She also think the whole voting system is wrong with reference to the low majority required to call a strike.

I would love to be able to opt her out of the works pension and manage the money myself, but they can not do that unlike private sector.

And once again all the focus is on the Teachers, it is not just them!

a life lived without risk is no life at all.

I quite agree! I have my private pension in a high risk, because a chose to.

As above, wish could opt wife out of public pension and do as we please, as you can when in private sector.

They (public) do not have the choice.

the numbers speak for themselves.

Yes they do, from the Government commissioned Hutton report. Here they are below.....

hutton1.jpg

What this shows is that public sector pension liabilities have actually peaked and are forecast to go down.....

that is why the correct course of action is to slim down the public sector and get as many people working in wealth generating jobs.

That is a completely separate issue and one I wholeheartedly agree with.

Edited by Laird Lugton

I'm not a fan of industrial action. If your jobs **** either leave it or learn to love it, don't bleat on about it.

nice smart easy answer from our resident joker, lots of jobs your way then ? they aint bleating about the job they are resisting (quite rightly the narrowing of the goal posts)

oh and yes I support them good on them, it not teachers and road sweepers who got this country into the mire its bankers spelt with a capital W speculator scum and downright corrupt/ inept govt

cheers KW

I don't think any company or government body owes anyone a living. PS sector workers moaning about a narrowing of goal posts? Oh that made me laugh. In the private sector it's a straight "chop". The public sector is not immune from economic reality, and that's the long and short of it.

This is just the start...

I think its a done deal already :good: i do not like striking and losing a days pay but they are not listning so we have no other option to make them listen :good: Yes i Know the countrys bank rupt more or less but taking the brass of easy targets who have worked and paid into the system all their lifes since age of 16 is not a fair system why do they not Target bankers sat on big fat bounus :good: who caused the mess in the first place along with the labour governments stupid lending :good: Paying people benefits to do nought all day has made us a laughing stock , this place needs work and morals respect Law and order rant over enjoy your evening :good:

I don't think any company or government body owes anyone a living. PS sector workers moaning about a narrowing of goal posts? Oh that made me laugh. In the private sector it's a straight "chop". The public sector is not immune from economic reality, and that's the long and short of it.

This is just the start...

how does the ad go? ah that's it! it's not fair, it's not your fault,you did not deserve it :hmm: oh I forgot " stand up for your rights" seems to only apply when you have the ambulance chaser head on :sly:

KW

I have just started a job 3 weeks ago with a LG pension. We are given the option to opt out of it and pay into a private pension, I'm guessing everyone will have this option if they don't like the LGP.

There's currently 2.62 million people unemployed that have no pension...nothing at the moment. I say give the jobs to these unemployed people that would be grateful. As what has already been said, we are now going through what the private sector has been going through already.

Only 30% of union members voted and 76% of those voted in favour of striking. Thats 22.8% of union members that are that bothered about it acted by voting. Let them strike, instead of the union pressurising everyone else to strike...It seems more like totalitarianism to me. I refused to join them and they are still trying to pressure me into joining so I can strike on Wednesday!

how does the ad go? ah that's it! it's not fair, it's not your fault,you did not deserve it :hmm: oh I forgot " stand up for your rights" seems to only apply when you have the ambulance chaser head on :sly:

KW

How random.

So people in the public sector have as a right, a right to a job for life, a right to a pension, a right not to get sacked or made redundant and a right to not otherwise be affected by the global economic crisis?

The funny bit is that you only need look at the Country's accountants, the over inflated but unproductive public sector and in Scotland the percentage of people in work and who work in the public sector.

Strike away, it won't make any difference. It didn't work in the 70's, it didn't work for the miners, it didn't work for the Wopping printers, it didn't work for the BA cabin crew and the Greeks are soon to find out that striking isn't going to change their fortunes.

Same as the steel industry, we'll find a government who contract everything out and private business will do it (more efficiently) because the government don't want the hassle or cost induced due to unions. Rightly so.

what steel industry? has your alarm clock just gone off?

KW

Ill just put that down to friday night pissedness! I dont want to qoute youm but trust me, you are talking nonsense. These people are seriously devoted to what they do. You obviously have very little experience of Union activities. I DO!! I know what goes onm and i know how hard these **** work to fight the fight for their members. Dont be fooled into thinking it wont get you anywhere to voice your opinions, as its the other way around!!

utter cock, they are in it for there own gain 100%

I am a public sector worker, and am not part of the strike, but i look at Greece and the idiots out there saying they want same pay etc when there is just no money, it does make me think public sector workers need a reality check, strike is wrong, 100%, we had all better get used to less. end off. There just isnt shed loads of money in the public sector to fund things anymore, its all going to be rationed

I think people are not judging the teachers fairly.

My wife is a teacher and yes she gets a full pension if she works to 68 :oops:

My wife isn't going on strike but her school is closed as the majority are on strike.

Teachers don't work until 3:15pm their work carries on well into the evening & weekends.

My wifes planning for a weeks worth of lessons takes up at least another 15 plus hours a week :oops:

I cant see how the general public would be happy to see 65 year old teachers in the classroom

Have any of you been in a classroom recently?

Children are changing and getting older before their years, trust me a classroom isn't a nice place to be in some areas of this country.

Rant over :good:

How random.

So people in the public sector have as a right, a right to a job for life, a right to a pension, a right not to get sacked or made redundant and a right to not otherwise be affected by the global economic crisis?

The funny bit is that you only need look at the Country's accountants, the over inflated but unproductive public sector and in Scotland the percentage of people in work and who work in the public sector.

Strike away, it won't make any difference. It didn't work in the 70's, it didn't work for the miners, it didn't work for the Wopping printers, it didn't work for the BA cabin crew and the Greeks are soon to find out that striking isn't going to change their fortunes.

How expected :yes: public sector workers this jock percentage that, old hat you have posted over and over, oh by the way I never mentioned a job for life, never intimated a job for life, I did state I thought it a tad unfair to alter the goalposts for existing pension scheme members,so the reference to job for life is reflective of your thoughts or is your mind playing tricks and you are seeing words that are not there?( I can understand how easy that will be for anyone with such a large set of blinkers as yours )

Its one thing to stop new membership of a scheme, that I can understand, but to change the terms for someone who has been subscribing for say 30 years and who rightly is expecting the scheme to pay what was promised and worked for, then that to me is nothing short of theft simple's

So to close it appears your brain keeps urging you to spout your bigoted self-employed mantra, at each and every opportunity ( double whammy if a council worker is involved) Janus is alive and well is he not ( avoided any tax lately? :hmm: )after all we ARE all in it together are we not,ooh me ribs again

randomly yours KW

Oh shut up you bloody bellend, that is not the case at all is it? It's about being in a contract which states you are going to get something, and then being told, "actually, you wont"

So if you worked for me and I said "at the end of the week I'm going to pay you £500" and then when it got to Thursday I said "actually, I'm gonna pay you £300 for the week because I left £200 of timber out in the rain and it warped" are you telling me you wouldn't go ape****? Tell me you wouldn't and I'll call you a liar.

You'd have three choices then - you could either tell me to ram it, walk off and I'll pay you nothing. You could roll over and accept it, knowing full well that next week I'll pay you £250, and the week after that £225. Or you could protest. You could confront me, tackle me and defend your position as to why you deserve to get what you I agreed to pay you.

I support the strikes because when there is so much chronic wastage of cash going on across all government departments in all areas I have no idea how they can justify ******* around with people's lives until they have completely stopped all the waste.

:good: :good:

utter cock, they are in it for there own gain 100%

unlike the surgeon you cant get to see for many weeks, but who is strangely available tommorow if you stump up the cash :hmm: presume thats dedication rather than own gain then ;)

KW