snipe shooting

Has anyone got any good tips on shooting snipe had a walk out on one of my permissions yesterday that holds a lot of snipe,walked some wet ground and put up around 40 snipe had 22 shots and didnt connect to 1 of them. they are such fast erratic little birds and i struggled trying to get a shot on them any tips very welcome.

Has anyone got any good tips on shooting snipe had a walk out on one of my permissions yesterday that holds a lot of snipe,walked some wet ground and put up around 40 snipe had 22 shots and didnt connect to 1 of them. they are such fast erratic little birds and i struggled trying to get a shot on them any tips very welcome.

the land i used to shoot on had hundreds of snipe on it me and a buddy once shot 54 in one day,

the trick for me is to shoot as soon as the gun is up, make shure your gun fits and you will be fine the jinking is almost always in the pattern any how so dont try to track it in flight, we almost always used 32gram 6 and most birds fell well inside 30 yards often a lot closer ive had 3 birds in 3 shots with my semi outo twice! and loads of left and rights.

too many people waint untill their way out and stopped jinking, ance you hit a few you will be sorted

I do quite a bit of snipe shooting, they are a fantastic bird. I have to say that walked up I think they are a lot easier bird than when driven, but it really is just practise as no other game bird is quite like them. I agree with what the others are saying it is more instinctive than other shooting, and quick reactions are a must.

What are people finding numbers wise for snipe the last couple of seasons? I do most of my snipe shooting in Northern Ireland and I've been talking to a few people. We all agreed that last year was poor for snipe, no doubt because of the incredibly harsh weather. This year I have been finding good numbers on my permission, but others are reporting that numbers are way down, and this includes a guy from the hebrides (a stop-off for snipe coming to Ireland) who takes his snipe shooting very seriously, he reckons the numbers this year are less than half what he would expect compared to a couple of years ago.

A lot of bogs are still being drained which is no doubt not helping matters... but I wonder if the harsh winter and the volcano in Iceland have really hit these magical little birds.

I do quite a bit of snipe shooting, they are a fantastic bird. I have to say that walked up I think they are a lot easier bird than when driven, but it really is just practise as no other game bird is quite like them. I agree with what the others are saying it is more instinctive than other shooting, and quick reactions are a must.

What are people finding numbers wise for snipe the last couple of seasons? I do most of my snipe shooting in Northern Ireland and I've been talking to a few people. We all agreed that last year was poor for snipe, no doubt because of the incredibly harsh weather. This year I have been finding good numbers on my permission, but others are reporting that numbers are way down, and this includes a guy from the hebrides (a stop-off for snipe coming to Ireland) who takes his snipe shooting very seriously, he reckons the numbers this year are less than half what he would expect compared to a couple of years ago.

A lot of bogs are still being drained which is no doubt not helping matters... but I wonder if the harsh winter and the volcano in Iceland have really hit these magical little birds.

here in shetland we have noticed a decline in snipe numbers, the harsh winters we have had have not helped but i think the biggest problem here is hooded crows, ravens and arctic skuas!

numbers are down on my permission one moss/bog i shoot usually has well into 40/50 birds flushing in it but we walked it last week to only flush about 8/10 snipe another 500 acre farm i shoot you would flush a lot of snipe on it but we walked it twice now and havnt flushed a snipe although im putting this down to a few new lads over shooting the place,

i find when i flush a snipe that i always wait for the 1st zig zag then shoot and usualy get results

ive only shot over my bogs once but ile be shooting boxing day hopefully, when i lived at home we would flusha couple of hundred birds a day on one farm with out much problems, bu they do seem to be getting less the farmer used to let cattle o the bogs for us and leave 2 fields flooded for shooting!

it will be interesting to se what its like next time

• 10 years later...

I have shot snipe with 12/16/20 bore guns O/U and S/S. The fastest handling gun I ever used on walked up snipe was an AYA 12 bore s/s with 25 inch barrels, using no 8, 32g load. Speed and reaction is paramount, practice makes perfect, also achieved some doubles. Please! if you are shooting walked up with a Group make sure everyone stays in line as snipe can double back or move sideways in the line of fire of your neighbouring gun, discipline is vital as goes the same for Woodcock shooting with a Group. I have also done driven Snipe Shooting which is challenging as the Snipe can reach fair heights to challenge any Gun.  Enjoy your shooting.

• 2 weeks later...