my staffie keeps on ripping everything up!!

swampy jnr

How long is the dog left on its own in the house? My wifes staffie was a bit like that in the end I tried doing some gun work with it she did well retrieves pigeons well still a little hard mouthed but hey what can you do. My lab is a bit competitive so can't have them in the hide together. Why not do some mentally stimulateing work with the dog it will or should calm it down a bit.

Welcome to the world of Staffie Ownership!

They have the shortest attention span and the lowest threshold for boredom than any other dog and their heads dont quite work the same as normal dogs!

I have an 11 year old called Elvis who genuinly believes that everytime you leave the room its the last time he ever sees you, same again when you walk in he isnt quite sure who you are!

He ate my kitchen table, 3 x sofas, a carpet, stripped my phone line throughout the house, chewed through my plaster wall in to next door almost and destroted the interior of my Mk 2 Fiesta XR2!

I used to run 4 miles every morning with him, a mile at lunch and a few miles every evening but 10 minutes after we got home he had forgotten that he had been out!

Once he calms down he will be the best dog ever, elvis calmed down about the 10 year point!! He is brilliant with my 2 little boys and I cant fault him, could have happily killed him a few times but he is such a character I would give him up for the world!

On that note were off out for our evening wander and my nightly crafty fag, I dont know what I would do without him :yes:

Edited by Miroku_Dave

How long is the dog left on its own in the house? My wifes staffie was a bit like that in the end I tried doing some gun work with it she did well retrieves pigeons well still a little hard mouthed but hey what can you do. My lab is a bit competitive so can't have them in the hide together. Why not do some mentally stimulateing work with the dog it will or should calm it down a bit.

it depends on the day some times up to 4 hours

Try a Kong stuffed with some food, keeps them entertained for ages.

That's the one. Mix some treats with peanut butter, stuff the Kong with this then freeze it. Give to your dog before you go out, it'll keep him occupied for a long while and he'll want a snooze afterwards. Hopefully you'll be back soon enough. :good:

Try a Kong stuffed with some food, keeps them entertained for ages.

That's absolutely the way to go - If you have The Range Store near you, they have Kong stuff dirt cheap plus all the fillings for them.

Don't cage it - unless it can break the cage it will just injure itself trying to get out.

Despite what a lot of people will say on here, they are great dogs, but they need a lot of stimulation