Thin Browning screws

Iggy

Ok guys, I want to take my old but new to me B325 Sporter apart to refinish the stock but the screwheads holding the forend metalwork in place are very thin and too narrow for my current 'tools' :lol:

I tried using a knife from the kitchen but slipped a couple of times and thought better of it before I ******** the heads completely.

Should I be able to get a thin blade screwdriver from the local Screwfix/B&Q or do I need to buy a proper gunsmiths jobby?

Thanks all :good:

As above. Turnscrews have a different profile to the blade to screwdrivers, I think parallel sides not tapered.

Having said that the screws on a B325 ought to be more like standard machine screws than handmade gun screws.

It is certainly worth asking your gunshop to take the wood off for you before you do the work.

Hi all,

Thanks very much indeed for all the tips and advice :good: :good:

I Googled and e-bayed for a while but all I could find were some very elaborate sets of walnut handled turnscrews for quite a lot of money, more in fact than I had ben quoted to refinish the stock itself!

Anyway, I took the advice and asked a friend to bench grind a screwdriver to give a very thin blade and hey presto - works like a dream. The forend is now dismantled with no damaged screw heads!

Just got to get the Nitromors out now......never done this before.......very daunting...... :look:

I've been thinking of stripping and oiling the wood on my beretta. I've had a couple of quotes but work is a bit sketchy at the moment so only way it will get done is if I do it myself. Let us know how you get on.

Will do :good:

Im gathering my gear together this week with a view to making a start at the weekend. Im going down the Nitromors/Birchwwod Casey route but I'll let you know how it goes.

I was going to have mine professionally done, but cash is a bit tight coming up to Christmas and it'll give me something to do on the dark nights.