pigeons

Dr D

this may seems a draft question on a pigeon forum. but is anyone actually shooting any pigeons? there doesn't seem to have been many reports lately. But this time last year lots of us were posting up decent bags. two weeks ago I was seeing really large amounts of birds (in high thousands), but they have all disappeared. I assume the were migrants and have all passed through heading south. they were in large flocks and had no interest in decoys.

this may seems a draft question on a pigeon forum. but is anyone actually shooting any pigeons? there doesn't seem to have been many reports lately. But this time last year lots of us were posting up decent bags. two weeks ago I was seeing really large amounts of birds (in high thousands), but they have all disappeared. I assume the were migrants and have all passed through heading south. they were in large flocks and had no interest in decoys.

Yes i am over the last 3 weeks myself and stu have taken near 200 on beet tops and ive also taken over 300 on rape ,got plenty on rape but on keepered land but got the green light for next weekend so thats good .No shooting this weekend off down london tomorrow for the arsnal game . then game shooting 3 daays next week . :good:

Yes i am over the last 3 weeks myself and stu have taken near 200 on beet tops and ive also taken over 300 on rape ,got plenty on rape but on keepered land but got the green light for next weekend so thats good .No shooting this weekend off down london tomorrow for the arsnal game . then game shooting 3 daays next week . :good:

:lol: i was going to say, with the exception of Pro Tom. 500 from you is good, but there hasn't been much talk from anyone else.

:lol: i was going to say, with the exception of Pro Tom. 500 from you is good, but there hasn't been much talk from anyone else.

Yes been a bit quite ,but its been a bumper year in places for acorns and beech mass pluss berries ,plus the rape has really got on this year ive some fields where i will not see pigeons as its far to high for them . Ive been lucky with them lifting the beet and not many acorns around . Birds are really hitting the rape in places mainly where its been drilled late so should get some good sport in the coming weeks . :yes:

Yes been a bit quite ,but its been a bumper year in places for acorns and beech mass pluss berries ,plus the rape has really got on this year ive some fields where i will not see pigeons as its far to high for them . Ive been lucky with them lifting the beet and not many acorns around . Birds are really hitting the rape in places mainly where its been drilled late so should get some good sport in the coming weeks . :yes:

here there are loads of stubbles and uncut fields. with so much feeding the birds are not concentrated. I have had the odd 50+ but nothing great. Also, we don't have any rape to speak of, so I need snow to cut off the wheat and barley option and push the birds onto cabbage etc....

same old story here to, they are all on the acorns and berrys. rape is a good couple of feet tall. not looking good for pigeon shooting around here at the moment. just hoping for some cold weather and snow, then they may just come on the rape. we still have baby pigeons in evergreen shurbs and trees still around here which would explain the lack of large flocks could not believe it when i saw them.

same old story here to, they are all on the acorns and berrys. rape is a good couple of feet tall. not looking good for pigeon shooting around here at the moment. just hoping for some cold weather and snow, then they may just come on the rape. we still have baby pigeons in evergreen shurbs and trees still around here which would explain the lack of large flocks could not believe it when i saw them.

Same situation over my way, there is so much food about that ther largest flock I've seen are 20-30 birds. Was out shooting on the 4th Dec and only a solitary bird even paid attention to the decoys. Had better luck under an Oak in the woods...but not much more.. :no:

I have seen plenty on rape last few days, and today saw several hundred lifting on to rape from a wheat field, that is the largest concentration I have seen in a long time. A farm manager I know wondered if the height of some of the rape would deter the pigeons but I reckon it will only concentrate them more on those fields that aren't as tall.

I have seen plenty on rape last few days, and today saw several hundred lifting on to rape from a wheat field, that is the largest concentration I have seen in a long time. A farm manager I know wondered if the height of some of the rape would deter the pigeons but I reckon it will only concentrate them more on those fields that aren't as tall.

most fields are high rape here but some thin rape thats where they will hit hard , maybe they will not touch some fields where it is to high making it easyer to cover more damaged fields just waiting on the pigeons then....

I have seen plenty on rape in certain areas, but most birds are to be found in woods still.

I don't know why people are worried about not shooting pigeons at the moment.It gives a chance for all the younger birds to mature, plus when they do come onto the fields to eat, they will be more likely to decoy, having not been hassled for a while.

I have seen plenty on rape in certain areas, but most birds are to be found in woods still.

I don't know why people are worried about not shooting pigeons at the moment.It gives a chance for all the younger birds to mature, plus when they do come onto the fields to eat, they will be more likely to decoy, having not been hassled for a while.

was saying the same thing to a mate the other week, but would still like to have a pop at them as soon as.