Car insurance

englishman-in-wales

Morning all.

Turns out that i've been driving around for the last 4 days with no car insurance, major oversight by me.

I really thought my insurance ran out on the 18th, anyhow, received a letter this morning, that was dated the 1st!!...saying that i had 5 days to accept or decline the renewal quote that they gave me, so i phoned them to be told that the quote had expired and seems that i hadn't made contact, my account has been closed. the guy said that i had to phone up and get a new quote, which i did, and to my amazement was £186.23 cheaper than originally quoted...

I will never understand car insurance, having completed one of those comparison sites, the price ranged from £300 - to over £1500...the range of prices always amazes me!

What gets my goat with insurance companies is how they put the onus on you when it comes to valuing the vehicle and how much they reckon it's worth when it comes to paying out. I had this when my BMW F650 GS Dakar got stolen back in September. I paid £4.5K for it back in March last year as it had a stack load of extras with it and was insured as such. I had hardly used it over the interevening months and then they reckon it was only worth £2250. Pfff! Sent them the cheque back and said to them I'd rather they replaced it with something similar.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Many insurance policies have an initial extra discount for your first year, after which most companies will try to get a follow on using the card you paid with. It is well worth running your details through a comaprison website such as "Confused" or "Compare the Market" you will be surprised the difference it can make especially on extras such as no claims protection. If you experiment on your job description you can see what difference it is making to the premium by asking the system to recalculate, obviously sooner or later you will hit upon an acceptable job title. I reduced me and my wife's car insurance by about £250 but the best saving I made was on house insurance down from over £2,000 to £760 and payable interest free over the year. The previous policy was alway due 28th December so do I feel smugly chuffed at this time of year ? Just a lot !! :lol:

Edited by photopro

if you add named drivers onto ur policey it comes down in price,,,have a try on the comparision sites ! i alway add my sis and bro-in-law....

mine came down 8p after adding my sister :blink:

try putting that your unemployed as occupation.....quote goes higher than a high thing going high!!!!

when i asked why i was told its because unemployed people are more likely to be driving round during peak hours!!!!!!.....oh yeah because we have so much money,

im officially classed as retired through ill health now....

:shaun:

I had a renewal quote for my car insurance (LV)which had gone up in price by £57 against last years price. I decided to check with confused.com and entered my details.I had various quotes, and the best one, was with LV, which was only £9.00 more than last year. I contacted LV and mentioned about the online quote, and they said that they 'could not match it'!

So I am now taking out a new policy with LV, which is cheaper than my renewal quote!

Crazy! :look:

mine came down 8p after adding my sister :blink:

try putting that your unemployed as occupation.....quote goes higher than a high thing going high!!!!

when i asked why i was told its because unemployed people are more likely to be driving round during peak hours!!!!!!.....oh yeah because we have so much money,

im officially classed as retired through ill health now....

:shaun:

8p !! :o i saved about £20 each time i added someone.....

It pays to shop around. It baffles me on what certain vehicles cost in terms of insurance. My old mule 110 is £50 cheaper than the little daily drive VW polo I bought for the missus, despite being heavily modded and having a stonking great V8 under the bonnet?! Plus the rate Land Rovers get targeted these days, I thought it'd be through the roof, however the little polo works out more? I'll never understand it...

Insurance quote for my 20 year old son on a Hilux (commercial vehicle) ....... ta,da,da, da ........£99,999!

I guess they didn't want the business :unsure:

How on earth can they justify a premium of £100,000 on a car that costs a fraction of that? do they expect to pay out a few times over for a write off? this is ridiculous and someone needs to do something about this. Extortion...

tried in insure a little saxo 1.1 with same insurer (aviva) they wanted just over £1500 i laughed and explained im insured with an audi a4 with you for a third of the price are you having a laugh, in the end went elsewhere addded girlfriend who has provisonal and my mum was 600 what a rip off but doesnt make sense as couldnt get the girlfriend insured on her own for less than 3k what a joke.

How on earth can they justify a premium of £100,000 on a car that costs a fraction of that? do they expect to pay out a few times over for a write off? this is ridiculous and someone needs to do something about this. Extortion...

It isn't extortion, it is another way of saying they don't want to take you on.

Anyway compensation payments to someone you might hit could end up costing a lot more than £100K,it isn't just the vehicle that is covered (hence "third party")

Why should the insurance say that unemployed people drive more at peak times.....thats the busy time because everyone is on the road...going to and from WORK! :angry::lol:

If you are not using the car for work it should cost less as you can exclude travelling to/from work, at peak times, when all the unemployed decide to go driving, apparantley!