Good News

markws80

I do not have a 22.250 but I can give you my views on rifles in 243, I love the Remington 700 but the prices have crept up recently,they are good rifles, tough actions and barrels are usually accurate but they have started making the triggers hard to adjust and the sps stock is, well lets just say it would do more use hanging off the Chrimbo tree. I have recently acquired a Tika Hunter in 308 and it all works very very well out of the box, and as you would need a timney trigger and decent stock on the Remington, it makes it a better deal though initially more expensive. Had a few rounds through a mates Ruger 77 mk2 and it was very accurate but the trigger is pretty bad compared to a Timney and Tika. Though I have never shot or owned a Browning they seem to be well worth a consideration,especially the Hunter.

Ok, think of this i have had more than a few rifles and would not part with the money required for any of those guns new. qualty is far worse than it was and relitive prices far higher than the past. As a new gun CZ is the only way forwards for me, they still know you make guns outta metal and the barrels are top notch- forget the retail prices you will get a good discount.

The only other way i would go is buy an early second hand Tikka 595 with a metal magazine and bottom metal (not plastic) or a Sako 75 or earlier Forester, budjet on spending less than £700 and be more cautious about signs of target shooting (bluing worn on bolt handle but pretty stock and metalwork elsewere) than hunting scars, many foxing guns dont fire a box of ammo a year. Even if the barrel needs changing in a while you could put a new border archer barrel on it and it will still only stand you just over the £1000 and be a heck of a sight better gun than the others you mention. I recently found a nice old Sako forester in .308 on a dealers shelf for £500 and nearly bought it myself even with a new tube the gun would only stand around £1100 and you cant touch that quality today with double the money IMO thing is i din't need it wich is just a darn shame :rolleyes:

Odds are you will be happy with whatever you get, lets be honest, there are good and bad guns with any make, but the majority of the owners of Tikka,

Remington, Browning, CZ, Howa, etc etc are happy.

We can argue/discuss detail all day, get what you want, but as others have said be mindful of barrel length and twist rates, also consider balance if you are thinking of fitting a Moderator, for example, with a mod my T3 Lite in .223 was a nightmare to get balanced but my T3 Hunter in .243 was fine out of the box, my Rem 700SPS in 308 needed 3" off the barrel!

Used models are available of course, but check the rifle as much as you can and see what guarantee is available.

:good:

Do as I did and try the triggers on all the rifles mentioned here... I guarantee you will walk out of the shop with a Tikka T3... couple that with the out of the box cloverleaf accuracey and nothing compares...

Don't listen to the nay sayers talking about old models with metal magazines and wooden stocks etc... Plastic mags don't dent, don't rust, are lighter and are generally more durable. Plastic stocks don't warp and don't affect zero day to day as the humidity changes!

But... as I say, just try all the triggers and then decide :yes:

I agree with Vipa-T3 triggers are superb!If you want a detachable magazine rifle then take a closer look at the Tikka T3!I think the super smooth cycling of the bolt is second to none and much much smoother than the Howa!

I've got a synthetic stock T3 and IMO is excellent!Super smooth action plus match accuracy-what more do you want.

ATB.

Another vote for the tikka, I have a 243 and it really is a great gun, I would always discount anything that does not have a detachable mag (with My mate BB on that one) - keeps things nice and easy under the lamp.

Have a quick look at the new fieldsports tv you tube video, the one where they are shooting baubles with various calibers, In the experts own words "I have never heard of a tikka shooting badly,infact its my foxing gun of choice" :good:

Ok, think of this i have had more than a few rifles and would not part with the money required for any of those guns new. qualty is far worse than it was and relitive prices far higher than the past. As a new gun CZ is the only way forwards for me, they still know you make guns outta metal and the barrels are top notch- forget the retail prices you will get a good discount.

The only other way i would go is buy an early second hand Tikka 595 with a metal magazine and bottom metal (not plastic) or a Sako 75 or earlier Forester, budjet on spending less than £700 and be more cautious about signs of target shooting (bluing worn on bolt handle but pretty stock and metalwork elsewere) than hunting scars, many foxing guns dont fire a box of ammo a year. Even if the barrel needs changing in a while you could put a new border archer barrel on it and it will still only stand you just over the £1000 and be a heck of a sight better gun than the others you mention. I recently found a nice old Sako forester in .308 on a dealers shelf for £500 and nearly bought it myself even with a new tube the gun would only stand around £1100 and you cant touch that quality today with double the money IMO thing is i din't need it wich is just a darn shame :rolleyes:

I had a quote from Border barrels just three months ago about rebarrelling my remmy 700, and for the cheaper Archer barrel, proofed,fitted and threaded it was over £600 notes plus delivery, so add that to a second hand gun that you have spent £400 then you are almost at Sako brand spanking with warrantee.