Getting a FAC power rifle

MG6065

Hi

My dad is on about getting an FAC powered air rifle for the rabbits on our land, there're everywhere we just cannot get close to them to secure a certain shot with just a 12 ft lb gun, he certain about getting one, few questions, how do we go about getting one? Does the licence differ from getting say a 22. Rifle? Also he's planning on getting a shotgun certificate at the same time , help would be very much welcomed, thanks very much !

A fac is just that,a certificate,what rifles you have on it is up to you and your feo and a fac air or .22lr will both clear up the rabbits,the only difference is the air will not have restrictions on land and can be used where you have permission and it is deemed by you to be safe to use,where as the feo will decide if your land is suitable for the .22lr.

Have a look on your local police force web site,there will be an application form your father can fill in for a sgc and fac,both together in one application will be cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mate , what power would you recommend ? I heard 30ftlb guns are good? What sort of range can you kill at confidently,? How hard are they to get, i recently got my own SGC and that was pretty straight forward, how does getting a FAC power compare to this ? Also when the officer comes round to discus the airgun will the SGC get sorted at the same time? Thank you buddy!

Whereabouts are you located ?

Maybe someone with FAC Air or open ticket for use of a 22lr would be glad of the opportunity to help you out in the meantime ?

As vampire said though, get onto yourlocal Police Force Services' firearms section and apply for a Co terminus FAC & Shotgun, then sit back and wait :good:

Thanks mate , what power would you recommend ? I heard 30ftlb guns are good? What sort of range can you kill at confidently,? How hard are they to get, i recently got my own SGC and that was pretty straight forward, how does getting a FAC power compare to this ? Also when the officer comes round to discus the airgun will the SGC get sorted at the same time? Thank you buddy!

30ft/Lbs rifles are probably the most popular and will give you a workable range of up to about 70yds. I would say this would be your absolute max though and you should try to keep most shots around 50yds or so.

.22 Air rifles tend to have a loopy trajectory which can take some getting used to. A laser rangefinder and plenty of practice helps.... or you may consider .177 which is flatter trajectory.

Your dad should also consider a Rimfire rifle which if silenced is good around livestock and gives you up to about 100yds range. I have both and to be honest my air rifle gets very little use!

Merry Xmas

If I was you I would just get a .22LR. Just as an example you can pick up a brand new Ruger 10/22 at Sportsmanguncentre for £275, if you wanted to get a new FAC airgun then you are looking at £400+ before you look at getting dive bottles etc (if you want a PCP).

You still have to get the FAC for an airgun so you may as well get something that does the job better and keep the 12ft/lbs airgun for barn/tight work. This is what i've decided to do for work on my uncles farm.

Edited by Livefast123

Hi, it all depends on your land realy. FAC air will be easy to get, round here HMR is next on the list then the .22lr. The .22lr is a great cheap round to use but if your land is small and flat you can forget it. HMR still reqires a lot of respect but is far less prone to ricochet,(not sure if I have ever had a full blown one or a fragment wizz off?? what does a propper one sound like? )

How much land do you have to shoot over and what is it like? We can help more if we new a little about it.

atvb Paul.

Oh right , an air rifle would probably be easier to get though wouldn't they? Can you get a 30ftlb 177. Or would it have to be a .22? How much do you reckon a decent air gun would cost? Are they all pcp or some springers? I know nothing about FAC air rifles? Atb

177 30ftlb :no: 22 :yes: you will be looking at a little short of £k for a good set up,thats a PCP all in. Springer are ok but a bit yesterday :yp: 22rf you can 1/2 that cost and the weight. There should be no reason why FLO should refuse you FAC unless you have been a naughty boy in the past. ;)

22RF will limit its use in some areas around the permission,barns,shooting into the air and simalar.

Edited by Dougy

Seen as how your dad wants this rifle to shoot rabbits shooting into the air dosn't come into it so 22rf makes perfect sense to me. Price wise it all depends on how much you want to spend sh prices start from £90 to what ever you want to pay. There should be very few areas that you cannot use a 22rf despite what people say about ricochet issues. Use the shot gun for anyting in trees job done :good:

Hi, it all depends on your land realy. FAC air will be easy to get, round here HMR is next on the list then the .22lr. The .22lr is a great cheap round to use but if your land is small and flat you can forget it. HMR still reqires a lot of respect but is far less prone to ricochet,(not sure if I have ever had a full blown one or a fragment wizz off?? what does a propper one sound like? )

How much land do you have to shoot over and what is it like? We can help more if we new a little about it.

atvb Paul.

Don't become over confident it happens and they can go a long way off certain objects at certain angles. You simply cant shoot them different for this reason. They have particular issues with sedge grass :good:

Yep, get a co terminus if you can, only an extra £10 on grant, so well worth it for many!

I'd say you have some good general responses, FAC air has its uses, I have 12ft lb, FAC Air at 26ft lb and a fair selection of rimfires as well, etc, etc.

You will have to decide what you really need, I have a wide selection because I shoot in all sorts of different environments so I need to select the right tool for the job. Many find a .22lr very useful, others have no need and the FAC Air does the job for them.

As has been said though, a half decent new setup in FAC Air will cost in EXCESS of £1000, a Semi Auto .22lr Magtech 7022 can be purchased brand new for £150, open sights included, job done away you go! :hmm::hmm:

atvb Paul.

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Are you talking a whole Police region or just an individual site?

ANY round can ricochet and the HMR can and does!

Plenty of centrefire calibres/ammo will have a tendency to ricochet LESS than a HMR, so would they be easier to get in your area?

I would apply for fac air and 22lr and hmr rimfires, i shoot and have different uses for .20 fac rapid@26fpe

a .25 rapid @48fpe and will shortly have a daystate air ranger@60 fpe, i also use a 22lr and a .17hmr when needed

each gun has a specific use and all are used on the land they are suited to ,i have an open fac so its up to me as to what gun and calibre to use.

atb brian