Muntjac with 22cf`s....What bullet ?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No none that am awear of (in the shropshire area) but my sisters bloke is a farmer in cambridge where he apparently has loads on his ground and am welcome to go take as many as i want when i want if i so wish ! :good:

I use Norma 50gr vmax and have had no problems dropping them, if you need any help culling.... :good::D

No none that am awear of (in the shropshire area) but my sisters bloke is a farmer in cambridge where he apparently has loads on his ground and am welcome to go take as many as i want when i want if i so wish ! :good:

There is the odd one showing up around Market Drayton!

Bet the Sierra 55 soft point is good, it's pretty tough.

U.

Out of curiosity what bulltets do folk use on munti in the .222 / .223`s and the like ?

What weight if bullet and BT or SP and what shots are most commonly taken ( heart and lung or head) ?

Cheers

Guys :good:

any soft popint or hollow point eill do the job,the varmint plastic tip bullets can blow up so watch what you use,people think muntys are hard as nails,there not its just they never stand still and can jump when hit into cover,I have found a head or neck shot sorts the job out

My .223 runs on PRVI 55g SP, perfectly good enough for my requirements. From time to time I am fortunate enough the get some Home Brews from a pal, which do seem better, but dead is dead!

I believe it was Ackley above who mentioned some suggest the Muntjac is hard to stop, my experiences concur with his, I don't have a problem, they fall down when you hit them in the right place! :yes::yes::good:

I've shot them with 52gr A-Max - neck or boiler room they seem to do the job although I should add that I wasn't driving them too hard. Whether a max load would see them starting to break up I'm not sure? I've seen pictures from other users who have recovered them from a carcass and they look to mushroom very nicely.

I lost a Deer to a 50gr Blitzking once. It was early days of .22cf being legal and the thought of it still bothers me. I think I hit the shoulder blade and I don't think the fragments got in far enough to work. I guess what I'm trying to say is be wary of bullets that are designed to be very frangible as a lost Deer gives you the worst feeling you could ever imagine. :(

If you do get caught out and need to take a shot with this kind of bullet make it a neck shot, where most .22cf's and most bullets will do the job just fine.

EDIT.... If I had been pushed into a sub calibre for the small Deer by my FEO and wanted a regular Deer round I would look at the Barnes TSX. They retain near 100% of their weight (don't break up) and penetrate very well indeed.

Edited by njc110381

I've shot them with 52gr A-Max - neck or boiler room they seem to do the job although I should add that I wasn't driving them too hard. Whether a max load would see them starting to break up I'm not sure? I've seen pictures from other users who have recovered them from a carcass and they look to mushroom very nicely.

I lost a Deer to a 50gr Blitzking once. It was early days of .22cf being legal and the thought of it still bothers me. I think I hit the shoulder blade and I don't think the fragments got in far enough to work. I guess what I'm trying to say is be wary of bullets that are designed to be very frangible as a lost Deer gives you the worst feeling you could ever imagine. :(

If you do get caught out and need to take a shot with this kind of bullet make it a neck shot, where most .22cf's and most bullets will do the job just fine.

EDIT.... If I had been pushed into a sub calibre for the small Deer by my FEO and wanted a regular Deer round I would look at the Barnes TSX. They retain near 100% of their weight (don't break up) and penetrate very well indeed.

Mmmmmmmmmm I wouldnt go shouting on an open forum your using match bullets to kill deer,as we all know you should use a section 5 expanding missle,hence the condition on your ticket to aquire them

I think you'll find that the UK written specifications vary to the Scottish one. UK law simply states that you must use a bullet of soft nose or hollow point design, which the A-Max is. :yes:

In Scotland I think you are right, "a bullet designed to expand in a predictable manner".

I think you'll find that the UK written specifications vary to the Scottish one. UK law simply states that you must use a bullet of soft nose or hollow point design, which the A-Max is. :yes:

In Scotland I think you are right, "a bullet designed to expand in a predictable manner".

no matter how "you" wish to bend the wording its still wrong to use a bullet that is not designed to expand on impact,you should not be telling people to use something that you know is wrong,tell you what call BASC the BDS and then your FEO and tell him what your using.

the condition on your to use expanding bullets is there for two reason only the use on vermin and deer,if you didnt need to use them we wouldnt be given the condition

you do what you like but dont tell others to use an illegal bullet on a public forum,theres a good chap

Ackley - A max ARE designed to expand on impact

no there not or they would be classed as section 5 expanding ammo,ALL bullets will expand to a certain degree when they hit something,this dosent mean there designed to do that,

I dont give a flying ---- what people use BUT dont go posting your illegal activites on a public forum where newbie shooters may think its the correct thing to do

its simple to undertsand

paper punching use match bullets

varmints use varmint bullets

deer use a bullet designed to retain its weight and not blow up

no there not or they would be classed as section 5 expanding ammo,ALL bullets will expand to a certain degree when they hit something,this dosent mean there designed to do that,

I dont give a flying ---- what people use BUT dont go posting your illegal activites on a public forum where newbie shooters may think its the correct thing to do

its simple to undertsand

paper punching use match bullets

varmints use varmint bullets

deer use a bullet designed to retain its weight and not blow up

Muppet alert!

No law has been broken, the bullets in question expanded and do expand period, there is no court in the land that would take a carcass as evidence to condem this person of using a non-expanding missile. By contrast the person related about a bad outcome from an expanding bullet failing to stop a deer. It seems you find that acceptable because no law was broken. It in fact shows up the limitations of the law! For years I have used HP BT match bullets to dispatch varmints and deer, Everysingle one of them expanded, they expand by default.

Lets not forget we are only mortal humans and a bad shot with the most in vogue game bullet will mean diddley squat to the outcome!

I had an idiot stop me from using a muzzleloading rifle on the grounds it would be inhumane as it does not use a bullet/ball that is designed to expand. I asked the person what was the common element of an expanding bullet? They replied "lead" :hmm::rolleyes:

I say if you are worried about what big brother thinks and what any newbie may go and do based on the freedom of speech expressed here you are actually expressing a symtom of what this sad country has actually become and I personally would rather eat my own vomit than to cower and hide from what I say and think.

Happy new year.

U.

Muppet alert!

No law has been broken, the bullets in question expanded and do expand period, there is no court in the land that would take a carcass as evidence to condem this person of using a non-expanding missile. By contrast the person related about a bad outcome from an expanding bullet failing to stop a deer. It seems you find that acceptable because no law was broken. It in fact shows up the limitations of the law! For years I have used HP BT match bullets to dispatch varmints and deer, Everysingle one of them expanded, they expand by default.

Lets not forget we are only mortal humans and a bad shot with the most in vogue game bullet will mean diddley squat to the outcome!

I had an idiot stop me from using a muzzleloading rifle on the grounds it would be inhumane as it does not use a bullet/ball that is designed to expand. I asked the person what was the common element of an expanding bullet? They replied "lead" :hmm::rolleyes:

I say if you are worried about what big brother thinks and what any newbie may go and do based on the freedom of speech expressed here you are actually expressing a symtom of what this sad country has actually become and I personally would rather eat my own vomit than to cower and hide from what I say and think.

Happy new year.

U.

I think some of you should do there homeowrk before spouting off on a subject they know nothing about

http://www.nrcofs.org/OldResults/2011/hornady_a-max_21840.pdf

now whos the muppet,as i said use what ever you like but dont come on an open forum spouting rubbish about using the wrong and illegal bullets on deer just beacuse you can fudge the wording on an act,its not gig and its not clever espeically when newbiw shooters,antis and all manner of people coulod be reading what you openly admit to doing

think about it for while "you muppet"

I think some of you should do there homeowrk before spouting off on a subject they know nothing about

http://www.nrcofs.org/OldResults/2011/hornady_a-max_21840.pdf

now whos the muppet,as i said use what ever you like but dont come on an open forum spouting rubbish about using the wrong and illegal bullets on deer just beacuse you can fudge the wording on an act,its not gig and its not clever espeically when newbiw shooters,antis and all manner of people coulod be reading what you openly admit to doing

think about it for while "you muppet"

I don't won't be told by you, BASC or the homeoffice what I should think or say.

THEY EXPAND. PROVEN MANY MANY TIMES.

Has anyone advised a full patch bullet, full metal jacket? No not at all, why?

Because they are designed to not expand.

The primary role of a match bullet is to be accurate, the designers don't give a hoot if it bursts, expands or stays in one piece. The law of the land does state a bullet for our needs needs to be designed to expand, certain match bullets have not been designed to not expand so therefore by default expand and anyone prepared to do their own homework and tests to satisfy themselves that they are acting in the animals interest gets my vote. I don't need a government to tell me whats right besides it won't stop a numptie from doing the wrong thing anyway!

A few years ago a friend of mine was buying factory Norma ammo in 243 and it was failing to stop Roe, when it did kill one and on dressing the animal it was clear that absolutly no expansion was taking place from the soft point ammo at all, with in the law, yes, the right thing, no. The ammo got wasted.

It's all a load of ********, if someone has not got the brains to make sure they are using the right medicine for the job then they shouldn't be out there, irrespective of any laws.

What goes on in West Minster is one thing, what goes on in the real world is another and there will always be those who get it/do it wrong and them that get it right.

Please your self.

U.

Edited by Underdog

I don't won't be told by you, BASC or the homeoffice what I should think or say.

THEY EXPAND. PROVEN MANY MANY TIMES.

Has anyone advised a full patch bullet, full metal jacket? No not at all, why?

Because they are designed to not expand.

The primary role of a match bullet is to be accurate, the designers don't give a hoot if it bursts, expands or stays in one piece. The law of the land does state a bullet for our needs needs to be designed to expand, certain match bullets have not been designed to not expand so therefore by default expand and anyone prepared to do their own homework and tests to satisfy themselves that they are acting in the animals interest gets my vote. I don't need a government to tell me whats right besides it won't stop a numptie from doing the wrong thing anyway!

A few years ago a friend of mine was buying factory Norma ammo in 243 and it was failing to stop Roe, when it did kill one and on dressing the animal it was clear that absolutly no expansion was taking place from the soft point ammo at all, with in the law, yes, the right thing, no. The ammo got wasted.

It's all a load of ********, if someone has not got the brains to make sure they are using the right medicine for the job then they shouldn't be out there, irrespective of any laws.

What goes on in West Minster is one thing, what goes on in the real world is another and there will always be those who get it/do it wrong and them that get it right.

Please your self.

U.

well my friend as I said "you do what you want" BUT dont tell others your way is right or legal,obviously you have no regards for what is the right thing to do,just beacuse a match bullet will kill a deer (we all know they will) does no make it the correct bullet to use

you are in breach of the conditions on your FAC,tell you what call yopur FEO and ask him to remove th right to purcahse exoanding ammo,and see if you still have the condiotion left to shoot vermin and deer,you wont hence why target only man do not have the condition to buy expanding ammo as they dont need it

you or I do,as we shoot animals,and by shooting animals one should at least use the correct bullet for the job in hand,by your statement you have no regard for the law or the animals your shooting at

in the real world things happen thats are not suspose BUT we dont shout about in a public place I suggest you do the same,but obvioulsy you feel your above the law

Edited by Ackley

Ackley how can you keep spouting that the A-Max is illegal? Even you have said that we need to stop turning the wording to work in our favour - ie it is of hollow or soft point design? In England we are not breaking any laws - someone as well into the fine details of the sport as yourself should know that you are contradicting yourself.

When something goes to court it's the letter of the law that counts, not what the ministers who passed the act meant by it. So stop telling us that what we're doing is illegal as both you and I know it's not. Maybe it should be, but it's not. Give it a break old chap and lets agree to disagree. ;)

EDIT... And you sure as hell aren't governed by your FAC to use expanding ammo on vermin. You can shoot them with whatever you like.

Edited by njc110381

Ackley how can you keep spouting that the A-Max is illegal? Even you have said that we need to stop turning the wording to work in our favour - ie it is of hollow or soft point design? In England we are not breaking any laws - someone as well into the fine details of the sport as yourself should know that you are contradicting yourself.

When something goes to court it's the letter of the law that counts, not what the ministers who passed the act meant by it. So stop telling us that what we're doing is illegal as both you and I know it's not. Maybe it should be, but it's not. Give it a break old chap and lets agree to disagree. ;)

EDIT... And you sure as hell aren't governed by your FAC to use expanding ammo on vermin. You can shoot them with whatever you like.

again call your FEO and ask him to remove your condition to hold expanding ammo,tell him you dont need it as you are using match ammo,lets see then if you still reatin the condition for vermin,fox and deer

again if we wasnt ment to use expanding ammo we wouldnt be allowed the condition.its thats simple

I knoiw the law verty very well it just because it is worded so it can be played with dosent mean you should,you know hat is right and you know what is wrong,the choice is yours but please dont tell people using match ammo on deer is right,as it isnt