help with first .223

hello, will be getting my first rifle in a few months, been told i can get a .223, .222 or .22-250 for foxing, my questions are

what sort of range can i shoot a fox at if i am accurate at that range, i,e at what range will it no longer have the power to kill

what sory of bullet drop is there with these rifles? is one better than the other?

what difference does bullet weight make

what would be a good round for fox?

and is there anyone in cornwall who will mentour me if i pay for there time?

and is there any serious cons with any caliber?

i was also looking at getting a tikka t3 as the reviews are good, but now i am also hearing goood stuff about the remington 700? is one better than the other? is there anyone who has both that i could have a play with?

many thanks

Tom

Longest fox I shot was with a 222, 388 paces. Twice I hit her jut to make sure. Resting on barbed wire fence and sitting down. Speer 52grn HPBT match bullet only doing 2850 fps! That was a long time ago!

Any one of those cals will out perform you as to range, 300yards plus, if thats what you want!

The Tikka is a good rifle, the trigger is an easy fix if it's too heavy, just replace the weight spring under the adjuster.

Some Rems can have issues, the cheaper one etc, the trigger is a bitch to mod. Most buy another trigger unit. Fat fingers and a brick layer type may find them perfect.

I have owned both and currently own the cheapest Rem700 you can buy and I love it, more than the T3. After that is I stopped the bolt handle from touching the stock and modified the trigger!

Go for it.

U.

iv narrowed it down to wither .223 or 22-250, any advantages to either one? i will be shooting foxes on a big sheep farm, longest shot will probabley be about 250 yards, looking for ease of shooting as i find it hard to guess ranges at night, what rifle has the flattest trajectory and the biggest ounch? i have also heard that with a .22-250 the barrel doesnt last long,

Tom

hello, will be getting my first rifle in a few months, been told i can get a .223, .222 or .22-250 for foxing, my questions are

what sort of range can i shoot a fox at if i am accurate at that range, i,e at what range will it no longer have the power to kill

what sory of bullet drop is there with these rifles? is one better than the other?

what difference does bullet weight make

what would be a good round for fox?

and is there any serious cons with any caliber?

i was also looking at getting a tikka t3 as the reviews are good, but now i am also hearing goood stuff about the remington 700? is one better than the other? is there anyone who has both that i could have a play with?

many thanks

Tom

Ive loaded and shot all 3 calibers listed,all are a cracking foxing calibers,

on a persoanl note I found the 222 ran out of steam to kill instanly past 200 yards (foxes) even with trying different bullets the resulst were the same.

the 223 will stretch a bit further to a good 300 yards (foxes) now the 22.250 is the daddy this will kill instantly way past 300 yards as it carrying the most energy

on rabbits,crosw ect all 3 will be good out to silly distance but foxes do need that little bit more knock over power espeically if you shooting distance

also bullet choice is an important factor to consider

iv narrowed it down to wither .223 or 22-250, any advantages to either one? i will be shooting foxes on a big sheep farm, longest shot will probabley be about 250 yards, looking for ease of shooting as i find it hard to guess ranges at night, what rifle has the flattest trajectory and the biggest ounch? i have also heard that with a .22-250 the barrel doesnt last long,

Tom

Hi Tom I like the 223 its lovely to shoot.Zeroed at 200y, 2.6inches low at 250 about 6 and a half low at 300y velocity at 300y 2168 energy 522ft lbs at 300y 50g Remintons accu Tip.

Others will say 22.250 even 243 shot plenty with 223 300y and they don't move :good: as long as you place bullet in the right place.

am i right in thinking that the .223 barrel will last for ever and the .22-250 will not last long atall? what sort of number of rounds befor its ###?

the 22.250 will last for years mate dont worry about it,you will struggle to shoot one out,my choice would be the 22.250 as it has the legs on the other two,plus you can dowm load it if you wish to 223 velocities if burning a barrel is worrying you.

as to numbers of rounds that will be in the thousands,the other thing t consider is price of ammo,if you reload the cost of any of the calibers wont really be an issue,if you use factory ammo I think the 223 are cheap compared to the 22.250

I know of a cracking sako 75 in 22.250 for sale which has done no work at all

Tom, don't worry about the barrel. They ware if they are shot and shot and get red hot.

They ware even quicker if they rust from lack of care!

A 22-250 flat out with 40grn bullets is a flat as you will need.

They all kill badly if you hit them in the wrong place so don't get hung up on them losing "steam"!

A friend of mine has just switched to a 40grn load in his 250 as he loves the tiny ragged hole at 100yds it groups over the 1" groups load 55grn he was using (nothing wrong withh 55grn). These high speed 22's only need to smell a blade of grass and the bullet will turn or blow up. He now likes being able the thread them through the smallest of gaps like on maize stubble and the like at night.

Good luck :good:

U.

In my time I've had 22-250, 223 (two of) and 17 Rem.

If you are shooting over very large fields then the 300 yards 'range' of a 22-250 will come in handy, but if not then a 223 will suit fine. Most of the foxes that I shoot are taken at 50 - 150 yards with the odd one at 200 yards.

You pretty much aim dead on at up to 200 yards and then after that make an allowance.

My 22-250 was a Rem 700, and although very accurate the trigger wasn't up to much.

The 17 Rem was a Tikka, and I couldn't fault it.

I currently have a Sako 75 223, and this is probably the best of the bunch - although as I have said the Tikka was very good.

I use 50g V max bullet heads and I haven't had a fox get away yet - very accurate and safe.

next question will be is if there is anyone who could mentor me in cornwall/ or devon, i have decided on a tikkam .223, to be honest after i get to grips with i imwill probabley only shoot about 50/60 foxes a year, if anyone would mentor me i would love it and even pay for your time, does anyone know if mentoring could start befor your cert arives?

You must get out in the field to verify it. I prefer to zero at 100 and dial in or aim high for longer shots.

Basically though, step one is get the rifle and then get it grouping well at 100 yards. Then to field testing.

And remember, get a decent scope! As a rule Made In China = not welcome here. Plenty of folk do get good Chinese scopes, in terms of reliable adjustments, but they can be a ball ache. Buy once, buy decent, so IMHO you will need to set aside about 500 quid for a suitable new scope, less if you get secondhand.

next question will be is if there is anyone who could mentor me in cornwall/ or devon, i have decided on a tikkam .223, to be honest after i get to grips with i imwill probabley only shoot about 50/60 foxes a year, if anyone would mentor me i would love it and even pay for your time, does anyone know if mentoring could start befor your cert arives?

where are you based?

Just a few "General" observations..............

hello, will be getting my first rifle in a few months, been told i can get a .223, .222 or .22-250 (who by?) for foxing, my questions are

what sort of range can i shoot a fox at if i am accurate at that range, If you can shoot it accurately the round will have the energy to stop it i,e at what range will it no longer have the power to kill much further than you can shoot it accurately!

what sory of bullet drop is there with these rifles? is one better than the other? You need to consider zero distance and quarry range

what difference does bullet weight make what would be a good round for fox? Lighter tend to fly faster and flatter but run out of steam quicker and then drop away sharply, heavy retain energy better.

and is there any serious cons with any caliber? No

i was also looking at getting a tikka t3 as the reviews are good, but now i am also hearing goood stuff about the remington 700? is one better than the other? is there anyone who has both that i could have a play with? Both will work, I have both

many thanks

Tom

Edited by Dekers

i prefer the tikka 223 ,freind of mine bought a new remmy and has sent it back as it ammo feeding problems ,and the trigger is horendous which is a common problem i think most remmy owners have had to swop the trigger

Remington are not doing themselves any favours are they. The triggers can be terrible and if your unlucky, a nightmare to adjust. The sps stock fails as it has pressure bedding at the end, which I feel is more to centralize a mass produced stock than for accuracy.If you rest the rifle toward the end of the weak stock or on a bipod it can make groups erratic. The 700 action is made to suit many calibres thus problems can accure with ammo feeding, had the same with my 243 but nothing a carefully applied file will not sort. I have shortened my 700 243 to 20inchs,bedded the action, added Timney trigger and sorted the feed problems. Just a few thoughtful mods have made my 700 a lovely rifle, accurate and consistant in all weathers. Remingtons 700 don't fetch much secondhand and its probably because of these niggles, if you know what your doing and like working on your rifle there are bargains to be had. If you want something that shoots nice and easy out of the box then I hate to say the extra money for a Tika is worth ever penny.( I have both).

Remington are not doing themselves any favours are they. The triggers can be terrible and if your unlucky, a nightmare to adjust. The sps stock fails as it has pressure bedding at the end, which I feel is more to centralize a mass produced stock than for accuracy.If you rest the rifle toward the end of the weak stock or on a bipod it can make groups erratic. The 700 action is made to suit many calibres thus problems can accure with ammo feeding, had the same with my 243 but nothing a carefully applied file will not sort. I have shortened my 700 243 to 20inchs,bedded the action, added Timney trigger and sorted the feed problems. Just a few thoughtful mods have made my 700 a lovely rifle, accurate and consistant in all weathers. Remingtons 700 don't fetch much secondhand and its probably because of these niggles, if you know what your doing and like working on your rifle there are bargains to be had. If you want something that shoots nice and easy out of the box then I hate to say the extra money for a Tika is worth ever penny.( I have both).

the remington i have for sale just now was surprisingly bad out of the box. the best i could get at 100yards was 2"+ but after fitting a timmny trigger and a hogue stock it now groups sub moa with 180gr privi. if you read all the bull #### advertising from remington you would think it was the mutts nuts but compaired to the browning, which is a cheaper gun, and other rifles i have seen/fired it was a bit disapointing. IMO

the remington i have for sale just now was surprisingly bad out of the box. the best i could get at 100yards was 2"+ but after fitting a timmny trigger and a hogue stock it now groups sub moa with 180gr privi. if you read all the bull #### advertising from remington you would think it was the mutts nuts but compaired to the browning, which is a cheaper gun, and other rifles i have seen/fired it was a bit disapointing. IMO

Was yours the heavy barrel 308 ? There must be the odd one that shoots out of the box otherwise they wouldnt sell any. Its a shame but all the problems that let them down are quite easy to sort.The trigger is brilliant if you can adjust it but now they put that impossible to free goo on all the screws, a slightly more rigid stock like the Tika wouldnt be that much more to produce surely. The barrels and actions are usually excellent and hard wearing.

Not wanting to get too far afield here but I would not buy a new Remington, they have sort of sold out on their loyal customers. In the 70s and 80s they were probably the most accurate out of the box American rifle, and I own/have owned several of that era, and they were all shooters. Most .75 or better before any work(floating barrel,trigger adjustment, action bedding) With work some would shoot under .5 @100. Too bad--- greed ruins everything.

Was yours the heavy barrel 308 ? There must be the odd one that shoots out of the box otherwise they wouldnt sell any. Its a shame but all the problems that let them down are quite easy to sort.The trigger is brilliant if you can adjust it but now they put that impossible to free goo on all the screws, a slightly more rigid stock like the Tika wouldnt be that much more to produce surely. The barrels and actions are usually excellent and hard wearing.

no its the bdl in 30-06. as you say the barrels and especially the actions are great, its the starting point for a lot of custom rifles. when i got mine there was a lump of wood between the fore end and the barrel which meant it wasn't free floating, i chisseled that away and accuracy improved and when i fitted the hogue stock it improved again. i could have lived with the trigger but after fitting timmny triggers to my .22 and .17hmr and seeing the difference it made i got one for the 30-06.