Beaters Elbow

kighill

Any one had any experience with Beaters/Beat elbow?

I have been beating on a regular basis on a commercial shoot resulting in a large nasty swelling on my right elbow joint. This is about the size of half a boiled egg and filled with fluid.

(over enthusiastic flag waving and not any other activity related to my right arm) :blush:

I have a friend who is a retired doctor and although she has heard of it mine is the first she's seen.

I visited my own doctor yesterday and again this is the first time she has seen it. Only advice for treatment is to rest the arm. Which I will do at the end of the season.

Not very painful at the moment, unless I knock my elbow.

If you have had this or know someone else who has, please let me know what sort of support strap they used. The type used for tennis or golfers elbow are normally fitted above or below the joint. This is directly on the joint.

Thank you

I've suffered with this had it for months, started off just below the elbow, the funny bone area was very sore and if touched was stinging, then had pain above the elbow.

I've used a strap with pressure pad around the forearm. My doctor, when I eventually went told me that the tendons running from the hand are secured at the elbow joint and the pressure pad stops the tendons getting enflamed. I also bought a neoprene sleeve from Boots that gave support to the whole arm.

I eventually had a steroid injection and got a lot of relief within a week and it has improved with time, and despite being told by everyone that the pain from the injection is excruciating I had no problem at all.

Problem is it is starting in the other arm now, so I think I'll be back at the surgery shortly.

I recommend you see your doctor.

I developed a severe pain in my elbow last month(lots of chain saw logging and to much work) the pain emulates from my trigger finger and gets worse when I squeeze something,so went to the see the quack yesterday knowing the answer would be a repetitive strain injury,got little help was told injections don't work and may be a secondary trauma injury caused by a car accident to which i have whip lash pain for and as I am waiting to get that sorted privately seemed the doctor wanted to get me out the door saying take anti inflametarys and improve my posture with pilates,as the whip lash is throwing my posture out,so if any one has got a good remedy device or cure for tennis elbow I would be most grateful for ideas as well. :good:

I have been beating on a regular basis on a commercial shoot resulting in a large nasty swelling on my right elbow joint. This is about the size of half a boiled egg and filled with fluid.

(over enthusiastic flag waving and not any other activity related to my right arm) :blush:

I have a friend who is a retired doctor and although she has heard of it mine is the first she's seen.

I visited my own doctor yesterday and again this is the first time she has seen it. Only advice for treatment is to rest the arm. Which I will do at the end of the season.

If you have had this or know someone else who has, please let me know what sort of support strap they used. The type used for tennis or golfers elbow are normally fitted above or below the joint. This is directly on the joint.

Thank you

Brain

are you sure its beaters elbow and not something else you have been waving up and down :crazy: you havnt been spending a litle alone time looking at photos of that sexy beater that comes have you :lol::P

Edited by Ackley

Brain

are you sure its beaters elbow and not something else you have been waving up and down :crazy: you havnt been spending a litle alone time looking at photos of that sexy beater that comes have you :lol::P

Thanks for that one Pete the sexy lady in my life was beating today, I am sure you are referring to her and no other beaters. Although I may of seen another lady with pair of 38FFs hidden about her person.

(over enthusiastic flag waving and not any other activity related to my right arm)

Thanks for your advice gents, any more snippets of information welcome.

Edited by kighill

• 2 weeks later...

I developed a severe pain in my elbow last month(lots of chain saw logging and to much work) the pain emulates from my trigger finger and gets worse when I squeeze something,so went to the see the quack yesterday knowing the answer would be a repetitive strain injury,got little help was told injections don't work and may be a secondary trauma injury caused by a car accident to which i have whip lash pain for and as I am waiting to get that sorted privately seemed the doctor wanted to get me out the door saying take anti inflametarys and improve my posture with pilates,as the whip lash is throwing my posture out,so if any one has got a good remedy device or cure for tennis elbow I would be most grateful for ideas as well. :good:

Really interested to hear this, I have the same problem and it definitely originated whilst logging. I'll give the anti inflammatories a go. Other than that, it's just a case of grinning and bearing it, and not being able to open tough pickle jars :/

Thank you

Not had this but would try IBUPROFEN both as tablets and as a gel to rub on affected area - works every time for me if I have strain type injuries - don't have any answers on support straps - sorry

Be careful with ibuprofen tablets as I have just found out the hard way it can upset your stomach,

whilst trimming some duck breasts up I slipped and guess what ?cut through the tendon in my thumb so 1hour procedure with the plastics dept under local to clean wound and stitch the tendon (cut was to the bone) 2 types of antibiotics and ibuprofen and paracetamol later got massive nausea and burning stomach i have just been told the Ibuprofen has aggravated my stomach so its the case of just taking parecetamol ,it made me feel rough as all night :no:

Be careful with ibuprofen tablets as I have just found out the hard way it can upset your stomach,

whilst trimming some duck breasts up I slipped and guess what ?cut through the tendon in my thumb so 1hour procedure with the plastics dept under local to clean wound and stitch the tendon (cut was to the bone) 2 types of antibiotics and ibuprofen and paracetamol later got massive nausea and burning stomach i have just been told the Ibuprofen has aggravated my stomach so its the case of just taking parecetamol ,it made me feel rough as all night :no:

Sorry - I had heard that they can upset your stomach and should have mentioned it - luckily Ibuprofen tablets don't have a bad effect on me - take them with a meal and that I think is the right thing to do.

The vibration of the saw will agrivate any injury,my elbow is getting better slowly I changed my saw for a heated. Handle professional husqy and always wear gloves this helps with the circulation and alternate my trigger finger , I did 12 trailers of wood llast week and had little pain,but the handling of lengths of tree where you over extend the wrist puts pain into my elbow :/

this may also be attributed to vibration

Yes it is. I used a log chipper (vibration) then wen ten pin bowling, something went ping and I lost all the strength in my right forearm.

There are some very good physio exercises to do rather than the cortisone injection, which many people are wary of.

PM me if interested and I'll see if I can dig out the stuff. It was a while ago and it's all better now.