What do you call this crow?

JohnGalway

Guest john5
Hooded carion perhaps?

Or maybe a cross breed?

LG

it is a hooded crow , and they do inter-breed with carrion crows where the ranges overlap, and they have and share the same habbits,.

It's a subspecies of carrion crow. They can breed with the all black carrion crow, and in fact there are black carrion crows in ireland as well at least in the north - i've caught them in larsens and shot several hybrids of the two.

It's a subspecies of carrion crow. They can breed with the all black carrion crow, and in fact there are black carrion crows in ireland as well at least in the north - i've caught them in larsens and shot several hybrids of the two.

Yes, iv heard that their is black ones in the north aswell, apparently crossing over from Scotland?? :good:

Dont know how true this is though.

Frank.

• 1 year later...

I have only ever seen the grey crow(hooded crow) rook and the normal black crow.Im nearly sure in England they call what we know as the normal black crow a rook the grey crow is the exact same size as it the only physical difference seems to be there feather colour.

In england what do you call the largest of crows that makes the distinctive deep 'gronk gronk gronk' call and has a very large wingspan over here we call them rooks could it be that in england you call them carrion crows??