Which Pigeon Rotor should I buy?

I am looking to buy a new rotor, I am unsure of which to go for, it seems like the three top rotors at the moment are made by:

Shoot warehouse

##############

Pinewood

Does anyone have any opinions on the above rotors, good and bad points.

Thank you

Mark.

Mark

We have 4 Pinwood rotors and 4 original magnet rotors. I can't coment about any of the others but from these two i would pick the Pinewood. They are very light and will run off a smaller battery, 8-10 hours on a 12v 7 amp. But most of all its there adjustability that I like. They Aren't as strong as the original but as long as you take care of it nothing should go wrong. There was a slight reliability problem at the start, due to a gearbox/Motor speed problem but i believe they have adjusted the gearing ratio to resolve this. We use these rotors up to six days a week in the spring and late summer and don't get any trouble. :ernyha:

Hi mark.Personally i would go for either the pinewood or the rotor coy,I don't know that much about the shoot warehouse one but would not buy one as i made one myself of equal if not superior quality for around £50.00.The downside to these wiper motor rotors is the weight, but the motor's have plenty of torque.

I would also like members opinions of pinewood vs rotor coy as i intend to change mine just to save on weight,which is a shame really as my machine works really well but is a bit on the heavy side, like all wiper motor rotors.

Hmmm trouble is a windscreen wiper motor weighs about 3 lbs before you start.Let's be honest they are a nightmare to carry long distances,however i will continue to use mine untill i at least find out what motor is used in a pinewood or have the money to purchase either a rotor coy or pinewood.When you look at these machines they would be really easy to make,the motor is the most important part.

I now have a rota coy which is magic but my mate had one which was not so great as it kept chewimg the gearbox up they are a good magnet as they are light and show the birds nice and high. But the gearbox is the weak link on them , also the service from merlin products who it is made buy was pretty poor to say the least the one I have is a newer model though it looks the same hopfully the gearbox is stronger.

cheers

John

PS deako is your rota coy the same as the merlin one or just the same name.

shoot to kill

John

The problem which occured in the early rotor models was that the gearboxes were "geared up" too high, for example 100 to 1. This ment the motor had to spin 100 times to turn the pigeons once. This was good because the motors didn't need to be that powerful, just fast, they used less power. The problems occured when you switched the power off. The momentum of the pigeons swinging around drove the gearboxes in reverse, and because they were not of the highest quality and geared up so much they tended to bust after a while. The manufacturers have taken this into account with the newer models. :ernyha:

Lazza moderated me! (advertising rules, fair enough...)

The new rotor-coys dont have a gearbox, and are not made by 'Merlin' :blink:

Best to just leave it at that, but if you need more info Johnny, just mail me.

Glad you like the machine though. :ernyha:

sean I brought the rota coy from flightline in the buy sell or swap bit.

I take both magnets as the rotacoy is no bother to carry and put up what I feel like at the time. some days they don't like the flapper and will come to the rota coy .

• 3 weeks later...

At the Game fair, there were a lot of rotors to look at.

Lots of prices, lots of packages.

Deako's looked the most attractive, but there was a lot of price competition. Unless you found out what every package contained, it was a difficult job to compare prices. Some included batteries, some didn't. Some included decoys, some didn't. Some were several hundred pounds, but the lowest price I saw was £65.00. Some looked little crude, others, like Deako's were well turned out. Some were in matt finish, some were shiny, Deako's were flocked.

It is the first time I had ever seen the things, I've wasted so many years working. The models with a motor and gearbox would appear to need more power than the ones with the rotor fitted to a vertically mounted motor, like Deako's and Pinewood's, and they appeared to need a degree of weatherproofing.

On design, if a one-way freewheel arrangement could be made, and some sort of cone incorporated underneath each decoy then it might be possible for the rotor to turn on it's own in a slight wind, or at least draw less power from the battery. It would also reduce any strain on the gearbox (where fitted) when the thing was switched off. This might have already been concidered, of course.

I ended up buying a pair of Deako's flying decoys which I shall mount on some home-made bouncers. A rotor next year, perhaps. I think it makes more sense to work the overtime to buy something that someone else can make more efficiently, than to take the hours needed to design and make one yourself. If I had a small welder, I might think differently.

Getting rid of my 'wiper' rotor and buying my Pinewood Advantage was one of my better moves with regards to weight and bulk. :beer:

I've had it for about a 18 months or so and it works very well. I actually collected it from Pinewood as they are based close to me. I had reservations about the single spike so they gave me the tripod fittings too. I have used the tripod several times were the soil hasn't been firm enough. Going out tonight after work so I will be able to try Deako's flying pigeons on it.

Regarding deeks on rotors, is it best to use the deeks until you shoot the real thing then swap them over or just keep the deeks going? The flying deeks that I bought from Deako look pretty good and I reckon they could stay on all day.

Tony,

I can guarantee they will work BETTER than dead birds!...they won't keep falling off and you won't have to put up with the feathers looking scruffy, etc, and they don't stink!!

Let us know how you get on, but remember the rotor is best used over a standing crop, you only need the deeks for stubbles. :beer:

Hi Deako,

There you go, I have learned something new.

I always use the rotor even on stubble to pull birds into the decoys that may be off the flight line or casual passers by. I only tend to pull the rotor in if I think birds are 'spooking'.

Is there any reason for not using the rotor over stubble or is this just your experience?

Tried Deako's flying deeks yesterday and they looked pretty good. I don't think I will be using dead birds on the rotor again. :beer:

I did find a bit of a problem with them. B) My pinewood rotor arms set the birds at about 20 degrees to the horizontal. This gives the impression of a bird with set wings. There was a bit of a wind last night, nothing too bad but the rotor was all over the place. The birds were bouncing about so much it worked the ground spike loose even with the tripod attachment.

This has never been a problem before with dead birds. The deeks must present more of a solid wing to the wind. All I need to do is make a new rotor arm 'prong' with a bend in it so the deek is more horizontal/aerodynamic.

Other than that it was a very pleasant evening. Shame I shot ****** all. Four woodies for two hours in the field. Despite recces showing loads of birds and good flight lines over a recently cut wheat field, a neighbouring farmer who doesn't allow pigeon shooting cut a field yesterday morning and the little ******* found it straight away. Oh well. ;)

By the way, tried deeks only without a rotor with no interest from woodies. Put the rotor out and accounted for the four I shot. Must have pulled a few strays in. Maybe if I was on a good fligh line the deeks alone would have done the job.