Definately fewer pigeons

army646

The birds that you have seen blowing mucus out of their beaks Acid House have got 'Trich' or canker, both are alternative names for trichomoniasis.

Generally birds that are affected are very listless and just perch somewhere with their feathers fluffed out. Basically they have had it when they get to this stage.

I have seen a lot of birds around the Cheshire area last week, perched on the street lights around the industrial areas where I have been working that looked like they were not having a good time of it. Basically you could walk under the street lamp and they were not for moving and looked really doscile and then what I read in the BASC magazine asking for reports of any birds showing symptoms got me thinking that there might be a bigger problem this year. From what I can make out it seems to come in waves and every now and then we get a bad year.

Hopefully I will be able to get clear of the sodding DIY that I am committed to ATM and get out and do some reccying on the land I shoot around Ripon. Last year it was like something from Hitchcock's film 'The Birds', there was literally thousands of them, so it will be interesting to see how this year compares. I will know if they are in the woods as there are a couple of big ones in the area which is where the birds usually roost.

I think we need to consider the difference in the weather conditions. This winter has been so much milder than the winters we have had in recent years and when the weather is milder the birds do seem to feed in smaller groups. That has been the case here in South Derbyshire. Last year there were literally thousands over most rape fields because of the snow and ice, they were forced to follow other birds to find food that was available, namely the rape, brocoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts that were sticking through the snow.

These last few days when we have had the hard frost the birds have been flocked tightly together they have a greater urgency to feed so will follow where the majority feed.

I haven't seen any dead birds that would account for the numbers that are suggested missing. i think a change in habits.

I think we need to consider the difference in the weather conditions. This winter has been so much milder than the winters we have had in recent years and when the weather is milder the birds do seem to feed in smaller groups. That has been the case here in South Derbyshire. Last year there were literally thousands over most rape fields because of the snow and ice, they were forced to follow other birds to find food that was available, namely the rape, brocoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts that were sticking through the snow.

These last few days when we have had the hard frost the birds have been flocked tightly together they have a greater urgency to feed so will follow where the majority feed.

I haven't seen any dead birds that would account for the numbers that are suggested missing. i think a change in habits.

agree with what your saying lee, just think mild weather and an unusualy large amount of acorns this winter, is keeping them off most of the rape around the country,i live not that far from warrington and shoot perms around there also we have some farms around cheshire in northwich and weaverham areas shot around there since the late 80s and never come across canker in birds in any of the said areas, i,m not saying it hasn,t happened just not seen any dead birds myself :good:

The birds that you have seen blowing mucus out of their beaks Acid House have got 'Trich' or canker, both are alternative names for trichomoniasis.

Generally birds that are affected are very listless and just perch somewhere with their feathers fluffed out. Basically they have had it when they get to this stage.

I have seen a lot of birds around the Cheshire area last week, perched on the street lights around the industrial areas where I have been working that looked like they were not having a good time of it. Basically you could walk under the street lamp and they were not for moving and looked really doscile and then what I read in the BASC magazine asking for reports of any birds showing symptoms got me thinking that there might be a bigger problem this year. From what I can make out it seems to come in waves and every now and then we get a bad year.

Hopefully I will be able to get clear of the sodding DIY that I am committed to ATM and get out and do some reccying on the land I shoot around Ripon. Last year it was like something from Hitchcock's film 'The Birds', there was literally thousands of them, so it will be interesting to see how this year compares. I will know if they are in the woods as there are a couple of big ones in the area which is where the birds usually roost.

The ones I have dispatched I picked up off the floor. Like you say they just fluff up and sit blowing bubbles.

Plenty around though but I can't touch them on the shoots I beat on.

You'll just have to give me a call when it all gets too much for you and I'll bring along a couple of slabs for us to liberate :)

Come to think of it I have seen quite a few dead ones around my fields, or at least the big patch of feathers from them.

I assumed they had been killed by something (hawk type of thing)

Definitely haven't seen any docile or sickly ones though. Very nearly every single one has been sharper than me. :angry:

So hopefully there is not a lack of pigeons and as the general concensus seems to indicate and what we are experiencing is simply the birds response to an unusually mild winter with a glut of natural food.

As some people are indicating it will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of months as the natural food supplies begin to run out.

I sincerely hope that there are shed loads come blitzing out of the woods and onto the rape, like grey feathered pirahnas when they finally have scoffed natures bounty in the next month or so.

Bad news for farmer 'Tom' but a god send for us! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ive never seen as many pigeons in my life round were i live. Last Saturday i went out at about 2:30 and the pigeons were flighting non stop until is was nearly dark. They were like grouse some of them they were that close to the ground then flirting over hedges ! I just hope theres enough food round to keep them here until Feb !!!

royboy was you shooting on croston on sat afternoon? theres alot about at the min aint there!

No mate i was shooting on Smiths. Not seen asmany this weekend ! But ive been told there still on Moss !

Thats right next to the land me and james have i was shooting last sat and got 27 in an hour and half was good fun,i was just on a flight line. it was you i could hear shooting then,how did you get on?

Edited by hedge hunter 1984

Thats right next to the land me and james have i was shooting last sat and got 27 in an hour and half was good fun,i was just on a flight line. it was you i could hear shooting then,how did you get on?

I didnt here you much but somebody was shooting a lot on kircums farm. I didnt touch the feathers of a single pigeon with 6 shots !