June 16th

Whitebridges

For me this means one thing. Bream fishing. I know they are slimey, can't fight and no one loves them, other than me!

I'll be off up the river Thurne balling in the groundbait, ready and waiting. Last year I took over 300lb of fish and i'm no expert. For the last couple of years the Norfolk broads has been fishing it's nuts off.

Anyone else out on opening day and what are you fishing for?

i should hopefully be out that evening down my local river, the lark. Last year a friend of mine caught a 6lb3

tench, also he hooked into what he said was a golden tench but it managed to get off the hook, I just hope that i catch the golden tench just to make him a bit jealous :no::good:

I use to put my coarse fishing rods away on 31st March and reach for my trout rods.

Then sit eagerly on the bank, or join the queue for the draw on my local Club lake, on the evening of the 15th June.

Nowadays, I still trout fish , but I also have to admit that I occasionally fish stillwaters through the old Close Season.

May and early June can be the best time of the year for tench.

I fished a 50 acre gravel pit this morning from 7am until 11am, caught 7 tench between 4 and 6+lb, with the two best being 6-4 and 6-7.

Perhaps if there were more rivers in my area, the magic of the 16th would return.

nice to see that there are a few "proper" course anglers still around

who are not afraid of moving water

far too many commercial puddle chuckers these days in my opinion

i feel we are losing a generation who have not learnt their craftwork through patience and skill

"stick float, what's that?" you hear them say

15lb line to a bolt rigged/method feeder to me ain't the way to go

(climbs down off of soapbox)

tight lines

tosspot

off to the river trent on the 16th for 2 days for the barbel,carp and bream

8 of the lads are driving down for a river party :no: and this year we have got a caravan for the creature comforts lol well its got nice beds and a oven for the pizzas :no:

will post some pics if i can stand up :good:

should be a good one.........

Personally, I can't stand carp puddles but each to their own. I think there is a bit of a shift back towards river fishing as a lot of people are getting fed up with the "ponds". You can't beat a bit of river catching resident fish in natural conditions. The broads holds huge shoals of bream, some cracking roach and the perch fishing is almost back to the quality of the 70's. It's pretty easy fishing all over and people are coming back. There are now some massive river carp as well (35lb plus) especially on the Yare and the carp boys tell me they fight harder than pond fish. The match anglers get smashed up regularly. I went and had a look last night and and saw two massive shoals of bream rolling, one was over 100yards long.

Roll on the 16th.

Very nice bag of tench Cranfield well done. I remember catching one that went 6lb 4oz from Blickling lake way back in the 70's and was considered a specimen fish in those days it even made the local newspaper!

I don't river fish as much as I should, but when I did I used to get twitchy as the start of the season approached. Like tosspot and others have said the commercial mud holes have more or less done away with the traditional closed season so people just fish through.

Many years ago I went to fix a computer at one of those fisheries and it was pure mud. when i asked what was in thers they said the usual carp etc + some nice barbel! I think of of fast clear water with gravelly bottoms when I think of barbel not a hole like that :good: poor things...

I drive past the Thames on my way to work and there are still anglers lined up on the morning on the 16th which is good to see :no:

I miss pike fishing those wiers like nothing else....

I used to be keen as mustard, I have a load of carp gear to sell as I have no time to go anymore, must sort and sell as its the right time of year, good stuff mind Nash Rods, 6010 Areo Baitrunners, Delkims, stainless pod etc, ho hum

I don't fish commercial "carp puddles" for carp, but the well established ones should not be ignored for other quality fish.

Longshaw Farm Lakes, near Sturry, Canterbury and Hartley Lands Farm near Cranbrook, Kent, both contain perch to 4+lbs and roach to 2+lbs (rumours over 3lb).

These fish are thriving by being neglected by the carp anglers.

Unfortunately, tench and bream suffer by high stocks of carp in smaller lakes .

The big (Club waters) gravel pits I fish, being mainly over 20 acres, seem to keep the population balance about right.

Especially as they also hold a healthy stock of pike, which is one species definitely missing from small commercial lakes.

i must add

i have nothing really against most commercial fisheries

i just think it's a shame that there are so many anglers that know nothing else

i have chatted to lads at my local commercial who have said why fish a river/canal/gravel pit

and maybe struggle for a few ponds of fish, when they can fish there and catch shed loads :( :devil:

one even said that he'd had a poor day as he'd only caught three doubles :good:???

we have a plethora of match anglers (my branch) who are lost on natural venues

but as Cranners says these places should not be overlooked, especially in my view for the stonking

perch they have inadvertantly spawned

Personally, I can't stand carp puddles but each to their own. I think there is a bit of a shift back towards river fishing as a lot of people are getting fed up with the "ponds". You can't beat a bit of river catching resident fish in natural conditions. The broads holds huge shoals of bream, some cracking roach and the perch fishing is almost back to the quality of the 70's. It's pretty easy fishing all over and people are coming back. There are now some massive river carp as well (35lb plus) especially on the Yare and the carp boys tell me they fight harder than pond fish. The match anglers get smashed up regularly. I went and had a look last night and and saw two massive shoals of bream rolling, one was over 100yards long.

Roll on the 16th.

Very nice bag of tench Cranfield well done. I remember catching one that went 6lb 4oz from Blickling lake way back in the 70's and was considered a specimen fish in those days it even made the local newspaper!

Looks as though my 100yard shoal is a tiny one. In the local paper today (the Eastern daily Press) the angling section reports a 400 yard shoal on Barton Broad near the Neatishead dyke entrance. I've also heard of a lot of big slabs on the Ant between Barton and Ludham. Now polishing the gear.

Im looking forward to some nice Barble from the Dove, but not able to go until monday.

Best day catch were 10.5 lb and another at 11.25lb on luncheon meat with Marmite on ???

small tip

Crumple a oxo cube over your meat the night before and pop it in the fridge ,

deadly on barble and carp :good:

if your fishing a near bank swim try corned beef made in a paste (mustard)

tight line,s rob

Crumple a oxo cube over your meat the night before and pop it in the fridge ,

deadly on barble and carp :good:

if your fishing a near bank swim try corned beef made in a paste (mustard)

tight line,s rob

cheers Rob will give it a go, must admit thats one i havnt tried.

Over the years ive found it harder to find the swims that hold the Barble, they did a fair bit of work on the Dove years ago and they dont seem to be in the same spots. Never mind all part of the game.

I will start and get some hemp ready by the gallon.