Rabbits with a rim fire

Davrian

A mate of mines just acquired a rimmy, he's been shooting for years with an FAC rapid.

I know his good lady doesn't like him shooting lil fluffy bunnies! so he doesn't tell her, last time I saw him I said drop off any bunnies going spare and I'll pop them in the freezer, this evening I skinned the first bag to find he's been shooting them through the heart / chest!

Is this humane? Is the reason we hit them in the head because we don't hit them as hard?

This makes the rabbits fairly useless to me as they're so badly bruised and devastated around the chest I ended up halving one of them and only keeping the *** end, another I kept whole but it looked shabby! the rest I binned, I figure its easier to start with something I've shot so has no damage to the body.

He's probably been shooting from distance and aiming for the head ...........OR !......he's had the dreaded rick o shea which is common with rimfire and took the easy body shot as a precaution ...........either way after a bit he'll go back to using the rapid if he's any sense :good:

I go for the head whenever I can. Its instinct for me, up comes rifle, gentley hold the crosshairs over the brain box, and squeeze the trigger. Or I go for the neck.

But I did get s shock when I went from airgun to firearms. Was a little.. odd.. at the begining to get used to the amount of damage an Eley Sub does to a bunnys head. This could put people off, to go for the body as it looks a lot less messy often, but Im sure time will sort it out.

If I had enough money for a decent rapid, I wouldnt have a rimfire :good:

Your mate is doing what a lot of newbies do when they first buy a rimmy.

He is mesmorised by all those foot-lbs of energy, and trying to do it the easy way. Aim for the front centre of the body and down it goes. Too easy! Then boast to his mates about shooting rabbits at 100 yards.

He has to practise, practise, and learn how to shoot them in the head.

The effective range of a rimmy when head shooting rabbits is probably 70 yards or so with a bipod. After that you have to have a very accurate rifle and no wind.

Oh, and the shooter has to do his bit.

Don

^^^^^ Agreed.

ITs all fine to get decent groups at the range, but in the field, you will NEVER be able to shoot so good even with a bipod, as most likely you have been walking for ages, your tired, your adrenaline is up.. heart is a little faster.. at 100 meters yesterday at the range, every time my heart beat the scope moved up and down :good: and I was laying there a long time to slow my metabolism down in the cold before taking the shots. You dont have a chance of that rabbit hunting. You will probably find your shots will all be around 55-60 yards anyway

Not sure about having mincers in our midst!

No I'm not homophobic! ............ I'm proud of where I live!

My Dad said the bruising wouldn’t make any difference when its cooked, I suppose in a casserole it would be fine but you'd never disguise the damage!

Got three head shots last night on my new permission two twitched a bit, third which I think was my best shot so far, 25yard standind shot in poor light was text book between ear and eye and bunny just fell over without a twitch :good: Must have seen 40 though so plenty more for me to do ???

Anyone seen what a HMR .177 does to a rabbit?

Are you asking because you want to know or do you know already dr nick ?

Not seen, guessing it might be a big mess.

You don't use this calibre if it's for the pot ,lets put it that way............Even a well placed head shot at 70 yds bruises the shoulder as I've just realised .........So you can't sell it on :good: ........This particular unfortunate bunnie showed no entrie hole on it's head but when I flipped it over what should 've been there (2" area ) was gone :D

Not had the .17 hmr rifle long so I'm hoping the novalty will wear off and I can return to my Fac air Rifle when shooting for the pot :drool:

Ive, I have never found any bruising from head shots from my .17HMR. Perhaps the Rabbit was already bruised or possibly happened as it flipped?

The resulting empty cavity is normal at most ranges within the HMR's spectrum, but as the head is not required and normally discarded, what does it matter. What I like about the HMR is that you can deliver with pin point accuracy from 20yards right the way out to 120yards without any thought of holdover.

If you want to clean up a large area without having to move and retaining the meat, the HMR is by far the most effective and humane tool to use.

Last night out with SL we had a walk round a 20acre field. Spied 4 rabbits, one out at 80 yards the others closer in. I took the long shot with the HMR which was followed immediately by SL on his .22LR taking one closer on the right and I followed that with taking the left one. The 4th decided it wasnt safe to hang about!!

3 rabbits for the pot, in as much time to read this scentence. Now thats pest control. :drool:

Oh and Ive, HMR - after the novelty comes the addiction. :D

Ive, I have never found any bruising from head shots from my .17HMR. Perhaps the Rabbit was already bruised or possibly happened as it flipped?

The resulting empty cavity is normal at most ranges within the HMR's spectrum, but as the head is not required and normally discarded, what does it matter. What I like about the HMR is that you can deliver with pin point accuracy from 20yards right the way out to 120yards without any thought of holdover.

If you want to clean up a large area without having to move and retaining the meat, the HMR is by far the most effective and humane tool to use.

Last night out with SL we had a walk round a 20acre field. Spied 4 rabbits, one out at 80 yards the others closer in. I took the long shot with the HMR which was followed immediately by SL on his .22LR taking one closer on the right and I followed that with taking the left one. The 4th decided it wasnt safe to hang about!!

3 rabbits for the pot, in as much time to read this scentence. Now thats pest control. :good:

Oh and Ive, HMR - after the novelty comes the addiction. :oops:

Yes I agree AXE :good::good::sick::oops:

I'm like a dog with 2 ***** now when I'm out with my hmr ...................Infact from using my range finder I now find that rather than getting nearer to the quarry I want to get further away(100yds +) to see what this calibre will do :drool::D ...............No further than 125 yds though :yes:

It is the ultimate rabbit control tool :good:

Had a picky posted (by Ive) of head shot rabbits.

75yds / 95yds / and 110yds 2 of the rabits the 95 and 110yd were at the time only 15 yards apart

just goes to show that the noise didnt bother them that much, till it was too late.